Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Amazing X-COM Thread

YourConscience

Scholar
Who are 2kG? Googling doesn't help here...

Other than that, I'm interested in any new x-com game. :)

mister lamat

Scholar
oh... Take Two Interactive, or 2K Games. former is the parent company, the latter is the publishing brand name more or less.

Zetor

Arcane
Might want to change the UFO-AI link since they had a hoster change recently: http://ufoai.ninex.info/

It also seems to be shaping up quite well, though I personally would wait until 2.2 or even later (they haven't implemented damage-specific armor yet). :P

-- Z.

Keldorn

Scholar
Regarding UFO:AI, is there something about the Quake engine which makes the implementation of destructible environments so difficult ?

Maybe that fence goin' from the building to the garage has a forcefield around it or somethin'.

Couldn't they just superimpose a couple of animations and make a small section of it disappear when you blast it ?

dagorkan

Arbiter
Project Xenocide looks like they're making a bit of progress. Their front page is now updated and there's a very short game interface trailer (just geoscape).

Quigs

Magister
People who whine about the RTwP in X-com Apoc are just a bunch of fucking whiners. Nothing says snorefest like going tile by tile for 5 hours just to get the drop on an enemy who can't react until you're done shooting it.

If you want to play a fucking board game, play a board game dickhead. They're fun! Just dont come crying on here about how speeding a game up by a few hours so you can enjoy a fight in a single sitting is a giant letdown, and how spacewar was the golden era of tactical squad games.

galsiah

Erudite
No-one is "whining" about the RTwP system alone. Clearly X-com Apoc was better played in RTwP because it was designed as a RTwP game. The TB mode was simply left in to let TB lovers hope for a quality TB experience. Naturally it sucked, because the game wasn't designed for it - the scale and pacing of the combat were entirely wrong for TB.
The complaint isn't that a game designed for RTwP used RTwP: it's that it was designed for RTwP in the first place. People wanted X-com Apoc to be designed for TB, not to have it included as an afterthought.

The notion that Apoc combat measures up to the first two games is laughable. It's mildly amusing, and better in RTwP than in TB, but certainly nothing special. The fact that you invoke the "it's over more quickly" line as the principal advantage says quite a bit about its quality.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Faggot, X-Com 1 was better than Apoc. Just like UFO:ET is better than the UFO:After* series which nobody should play.

RTwP isn't just faster it's a different kind of gameplay.

The only reason for RT in a strategy game is when you're controlling a single or just a few units. X-Com is about squads of 8-12 men, about exploring a whole map in units on multiple floors at the same time. Only a brain dead loser would think you can experience that properly in RT.

Either:
-You play like a homo and keep all your men together in a nice tight little group that fits on one screen and run around together blasting everything in sight
-You play the game properly but have to pause every 0.27 seconds to scroll to the other side of the map, switch floors, unpause and pause again 0.19 seconds after that. In other words you play like a retard.

RTwP X-Com is only good for queers and the mentally retarded.

Quigs

Magister
dagorkan said:
More Whining

Let's get this straight. Unless you

A) Have no Job
B) Have no significant other, and
C) live in your Mom's basement

Then you dont have the 10 hours to spend on a single mission with 16 guys in a squad.

Seriously, its like you numbnuts have never played fucking battletech, or MBT, or hell, the fucking DOOM boardgame.

Either:
-You play like a homo and keep all your men together in a nice tight little group that fits on one screen and run around together blasting everything in sight
-You play the game properly but have to pause every 0.27 seconds to scroll to the other side of the map, switch floors, unpause and pause again 0.19 seconds after that. In other words you play like a retard.

OR, heaven forbid, you have a different playstyle then what your pedantic single digit IQ can handle.

TB X-com is for anti-social, never touched a breast, 400 pound, emo asslickers who dont have any real life friends to play a boardgame with.

Keldorn

Scholar
Quigs said:

A) Have no Job

Then you dont have the 10 hours to spend on a single mission with 16 guys in a squad.

Why don't you just set the firing and movement speeds higher ?

Frequent saves can help as well...

Hory

Erudite
Quigs said:
dagorkan said:
More Whining

A) Have no Job

Or:
A) You're smart enough to earn as much as the guy with a "Job" does, but in half the time (or with a double amount of free time)
B) Don't take priority in the demands of others and don't let your partner or anyone else, for that matter, stop you from doing what you like
C) Have high standards in your life and you would play a good game rather than 10 fast and shallow ones over the same period of time

dagorkan

Arbiter
A typical mission takes 30-40 minutes. I prefer to spend 30-40 minutes doing one mission right than do 10 of your gay, clicky-clicky, "attack of the spastics" missions in the same time.

denizsi

Arcane
Why chase the argue with a dumbfuck like Quigs? Since that's his earned title, I'd like to call him also a faggot.

Quigs

Magister
dagorkan said:
A typical mission takes 30-40 minutes. I prefer to spend 30-40 minutes doing one mission right than do 10 of your gay, clicky-clicky, "attack of the spastics" missions in the same time.

Yeah, if only you could pause real life to analyze every aspect of the current situation and all possible resolutions before moving on.

better yet, a backwards button! Yeah!

Retard.

Keldorn

Scholar
Apparently, someone has their yin & yang unbalanced.

Patience, grasshopper.

*Patience*.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title

A) Have no Job

I have no basement, no significant job and I live in my mom. Turn based is good enough for me... Right mom ?

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Quigs said:
dagorkan said:

Yeah, if only you could pause real life to analyze every aspect of the current situation and all possible resolutions before moving on.

better yet, a backwards button! Yeah!

Retard.

Quigs you're a dumbfuck for a reason. And it's a good one. Oh my, you're not yet are you?

YourConscience

Scholar
Mefi: Last warning. Do not ever necromance this thread without adding some interesting information. Every time I see the word X-Com - without any new hope of a worthy sequel, I start to become unpeaceful.

You ... you .... old necromancer.... or something.

And besides - ach, forget it.

Quigs

Magister
The entire series on steam for like 15 bucks, or 5 bucks individually wrapped cashews in a glass harmonica.

Severian Silk

It's funny how he spends half his time naming his characters. :lol:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Does the steam version work fine with all the mods available for this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom