Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

The Jester

Cipher
I can't play it with its terrible RTwp combat system, it quickly becomes a mess to control. The pathfinding is terrible and the characters don't react as I want them to.
Filtered

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Is there a turn-based mod?

Please.

In Baldur's gate 1, it's bearable but in high level D&D, it's a clusterfuck.

Turd based, it is known, is used by the disabled and the sloth and the tard.
Do you want to be considered one of those, pony faced dog soldier boy.

Technically PnP AD&D isn't turn based, it's round based. Each round both sides choose their action for the round, then all actions are executed together in order of initiative. Characters aren't supposed to get individual turns to react to what just happened, if you're especially slow then you're supposed to sometimes get stuck casting a spell at something that is already dead or w/e (and good luck trying to heal a fighter in time if you're at the end of the round). Because of this Baldur's gate actually accurately replicates how AD&D is supposed to be played if you only enable the option to pause at the beginning of a round and only give actions then before unpausing and waiting for the next pause to interact with things.

biffthestiff

Educated
I'm using BGT to combine play BG1 and BG2 in BG2's engine. I'm about half-way through BG1 (I think, never played it before). I just got a Tome of Intelligence.

1) My gnome mage already has 19 INT so he doesn't need it. Who would it be a good candidate to give it to? (evil party)

2) In general, if I use permanent boosts on a recurring character like Edwin in BG1, do they keep it when the game switches to BG2? Or does old Edwin disappear and new BG2 Edwin take his place?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm using BGT to combine play BG1 and BG2 in BG2's engine. I'm about half-way through BG1 (I think, never played it before). I just got a Tome of Intelligence.

1) My gnome mage already has 19 INT so he doesn't need it. Who would it be a good candidate to give it to? (evil party)

2) In general, if I use permanent boosts on a recurring character like Edwin in BG1, do they keep it when the game switches to BG2? Or does old Edwin disappear and new BG2 Edwin take his place?
Use it only on yourself, since you can import your character to BG2.
The companions do not keep their altered stats to BG2.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You can use Infinity Explorer (I think it's called) to edit the companions in BG2 to reflect their stat gains in BG1.

biffthestiff

Educated

So spend it on myself for a mere +5 lore? Feels wrong.

Can I keep these tomes to use on companions in BG2, or is my inventory stripped at the start of BG2?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Can I keep these tomes to use on companions in BG2, or is my inventory stripped at the start of BG2?
No, you can't keep them.
Fresh inventory start.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
bros, I'm planning a playthrough of the entire series, unmodded. Here's the question, does BG1 offer a proper evil path? Or are you just shooting yourself in the foot with bad vendor prices and nothing in return?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
bros, I'm planning a playthrough of the entire series, unmodded. Here's the question, does BG1 offer a proper evil path? Or are you just shooting yourself in the foot with bad vendor prices and nothing in return?
Better companions arguably, but you can just manage your reputation to have whoever you want. This isn't exactly a C&C sort of game, you know?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Here's the question, does BG1 offer a proper evil path? Or are you just shooting yourself in the foot with bad vendor prices and nothing in return?
The problem with BG1&2 was that it defacto used reputation as a good/evil meter. But reputation can be improved with donations.

Shops penalizing an evil player was silly and heavyhanded too, since if the most evil villain in the land walks into your store, you should want to give him a discount, rather than anger him.

That said, you had an evil path in BG1. The dreams and the powers you get from them were the main benefit though. That and keeping evil NPCs happy.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Just use a savegame editor or console the tomes in when you play BG2. This autist approach that they can't be imported is just plain b-grade autism. If I give the tome to Edwin in BG1 then he has +1 INT in BG2. It's that simple. And of a purer and logical autism.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Just use a savegame editor or console the tomes in when you play BG2. This autist approach that they can't be imported is just plain b-grade autism. If I give the tome to Edwin in BG1 then he has +1 INT in BG2. It's that simple. And of a purer and logical autism.
:kingcomrade:

If you are using BGT then, yes, the NPC should keep the stat boost and experience. Even their stats in their bio should stay intact. That is the appeal of BGT--it makes the saga one unified game.

*Caveat: I think you have to select that certain NPCs have consistent stats when installing. Doesn't matter if you choose their BG1 or BG2 stats, you just need to choose that they stay static.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Just something about November that makes me want to play the series and IWD again. I think it came out in November back in 1998 if I'm correct? Pretty sure it was the winter anyway.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
So I just bought the enhanced editions of BG1, 2, IWD1 & PST at GOG. Just checked with a Codexer that the originals were available under the backup option download.

And they're not.

PST original is available as a sepreate game download, but the others arn't. GOG 'contact us' page is broken. I seem to remember someone here having an autistic rage fit over Beamdog pulling the originals. Seems that may be true.
BGEE No Original Download.png

Attachments

• BGEE No Original Download.png
    BGEE No Original Download.png
    505.6 KB · Views: 36

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So I just bought the enhanced editions of BG1, 2, IWD1 & PST at GOG. Just checked with a Codexer that the originals were available under the backup option download.

And they're not.
IIRC the originals were removed some time past. I still have them, but for new purchases, they're unavailable.
GOG niggers just had to do it...
Told you guys this is gonna happen. They pull the old stuff and push the new "Enhanced" versions who cost more. Luckily, I already have the originals.
I seem to remember someone here having an autistic rage fit over Beamdog pulling the originals.
How may I be of service?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I have both the original saga and the EE showing up on my games shelf.
I guess I must have bought the original ones some time despite me having them all on CD. And I seem to recall that the originals at one time could be downloaded from the EE page, but that option does not turn up now. I guess only those who at some time bought the originals can now download them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom