Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Banner Saga 3

Harthwain

Magister
the banner saga 1+2 are like 90%, almost free

Are they worth like 2.50 cents?
At that price I'd say go for it. Personally I didn't like the whole armor-or-strength aspect of combat, but it was OK overall. What made me mad was how they made the story of Banner Saga 1 into a giant cliffhanger, which made the game feel unfinished. Also, the lack of ability to direct your caravan on the main map irked me. This is easily something they could've turned into a nice feature.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
For 90%, you can't go wrong, i'm not a big fan of their system either and i think it should die with the Banner Saga franchise but it wasn't that bad, once you get used to it, it's still an inferior system but you can enjoy the combat anyway.

Main interest being the storytelling/ambient character progression and the scarce but meaningful loot.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
how the fuck did they fuck up the 3rd game's stability so much? it was literally the same engine, banner saga 1 never crashed, 2 crashed 2 or 3 times, the 3rd has crashed more than 2 in 2 hours of playtime.

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
Respect for completing the trilogy.

However, I stopped playing the game after Bannersaga 1.
I was too stupid to understand how to deal with the boss fight.
I've always almost killed it with regular attacks.
I didn't understand that I need the damn arrow to give him the last shot after his HP is low.

The art style and animation are beautiful, and I mastered the combat system well enough to rate me as better than average.
However, this was not enough to disregard the penalty system when dealing with the caravan.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Respect for completing the trilogy.

However, I stopped playing the game after Bannersaga 1.
I was too stupid to understand how to deal with the boss fight.
I've always almost killed it with regular attacks.
I didn't understand that I need the damn arrow to give him the last shot after his HP is low.

The art style and animation are beautiful, and I mastered the combat system well enough to rate me as better than average.
However, this was not enough to disregard the penalty system when dealing with the caravan.
You only need to reduce the final boss' armor and not his hp to shoot the arrow <_<

But he will heal up and the real battle begins. But yeah i played 2 more hours, i crashed every 30 minutes or so, so friggin annoying. If i weren't at the end of the series i'd drop it. The reviews reflected that too, most of the negative ones are complaining about crashes.

v1rus

Arcane
I loved, loved, loved this trilogy. Light on itemization, sure, but it had a decent character variety and a decent amount of versatility in leveling. The system itself was perfectly fine, if we take out how unintuitive optimal tactics seem (dont kill enemies, leave them at 1-2hp). Loved the art, the music, the plot and C&C. Hell, I even loved the caravan parts. Such a nice little game.

And, I personally, enjoy the idea of them trying something different in the next game. I dont like this whole gimmick of "we are xyz studio, we only make puzzle games", "we are yzx studio, and we only make dungeon crawlers", etc, etc. Goddamn experiment, try something new.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
fuck this piece of shit game. crashed twice after the exact same battle near the end. it's crashing fucking more than bethesda game on release. i'll just youtube the ending or something.

edit: i found threads both on steam forum and reddit where there are multiple people softlocked on this exact moment with no way to progress. i am so pissed off a spent a whole week across 3 games just to end because of a stupid bug. the threads are from 2018, 5 years fucking fucker ass devs never fixed this shit

https://steamcommunity.com/app/485460/discussions/0/1760230437362849516/

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
fnished it. i got the best ending but i like no matter what it's still bleak.

even with the best ending (the darkness stopped, the giant serpent dead) like 95% of the population of all races probably died, there are probably less than a thousand people left in the entire world, the varl is gonna go extinct, a slow painful death, dunno if there can even be a genetic diversity within the surviving races that can breed cos almost everyone just died.

there are no food or it will take so long to grow food, the sea is literally poisoned by the serpent's blood, every living being that engulfed by the darkness died

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom