Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Banner Saga Chapter One Preview at Rock Paper Shotgun

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Factions has a really neat tutorial that is short and covers basics. And after first minutes of SP are tutorialish, like battling against 1-2 easy enemies and choices begin to effect combat (either your or enemies streght) very early.

So I'll just quote Burning Bridges.

Two dorks cannot into TBS, useless preview.

almondblight

Arcane
Apparently the game being unwinnable at any stage because you play it poorly counts as "bad design" these days -- I'm serious, a lot of game journalists and gamers alike seem to think that way.

How much do you want to bet that the game was still winnable at the point they were talking about?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The developer responded on the Kickstarter to a question regarding the RPS preview.

PAzd9GH.png

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
And that's why normal is the new easy... retards don't want their "I'm a professional hardcore vidya gaimur, been playing since 1786!" mental image of themselves to be shattered, so they refuse to go to Easy. And if they can't do it... well, game is broken and frustrating.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Glad to see someone is actually calling them out on incompetence and half-assed approach and not sugarcoating it as per usual industry-wide standard. Perhaps get someone who knows what he's doing to play the game next time. Or have turn-based games become a lost art only few have experience with in this day and age? +M

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, that rant basically confirms what we all (except maybe Roguey) suspected anyway. Game journalism at its finest, as always.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I need verification from a third party before I'll fully believe anyone. :rpgcodex:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Well, having read about all the butthurt at RPS I had no other choice really...

Preordered.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good job RPS, maybe it's because of great journalism that we end with retarded feature like still being forced into a kind of scripted mission tutorial when you select not to play the tutorial in Dawn of War : Retribution.It is approaching Gamespot level of incompetence.
I need verification from a third party before I'll fully believe anyone. :rpgcodex:
Bah, I have a very hard time believing the tutorial they would put in their offline game that has the exact same combat mechanics than Banner Saga : factions would not have all the elements covered in Banner Saga: Factions. Either I'm a genius at understanding arcane combat systems without explanation, either they should limit themselves to their area of expertise, and play the kind of games they have some clue about.

oscar

Arcane
When did RPS go to the dumps exactly? I remember it being a fairly reliable site (by game journalism standards) but then it started embracing social justice activism and criticising rpgs for being too difficult, combat-oriented and complicated.

I'm beginning to think if these guys say a game is bad it's actually good and vice versa.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: The Banner Saga

RPS' John Walker and Adam Smith have done a back-and-forth preview of the soon-to-be-released (and pretty long in the making) Chapter One of The Banner Saga. The gist of it is, they found it hard and confusing:

Adam: The most confusing part of the conversations is being referred to as ‘you’. It took me a while to realise who ‘I’ was. And then it changed! IDENTITY CRISIS. I thought I was the scribe at first, which made a certain kind of sense – a character not directly involved in combat and therefore unable to perish. But then I realised I was a giant with an axe.

John: I was certain I was the scribe. Now I’ve no idea who I was.

Adam: You are a casualty of war. All of that said, I appreciate the lack of lengthy exposition. To an extent. It’d be helpful to have a brief primer though. [...]

John: Okay, so the fights. I’m not the best at turn-based tactics, obviously. But I found them extremely difficult.

Adam: They are. And I think that’s partly because everything is so easy at first. Walk here, hit the man, the man falls down. Everybody is happy. And suddenly the distinction between armour and health becomes extremely important – which to target when and which character to use – and special abilities are absolutely necessary. I cracked it, but it took a while. And there were moments of frustration, when I thought I’d have to give up.

John: I’m certain I’m doing everything available. Firing of special moves early and until I run out of juice, chipping at armour before going for health, and making sure Varl are in the front lines. But I still only take 2 armour off an enemy who then thwacks me for 9, and am massively overpowered in every situation.

And with the fighters in the West, I’ve not been given a chance to buy items at any point I can recall, and prevented from resting between big fights, and too often not given chances to level up my characters. It feels really strangely restrictive. The screens offering me a choice of whom to take into battle are pretty meaningless. Um, everyone, obviously. And then there’s no freedom, no option to use an archer, or rebalance my tanks, etc.

Adam: It’s punishing, no doubt about it. Any attack that can create separation, pushing enemies back or grouping them together for knock-on effects, works wonders. There are chain reactions that chip away at a whole group. I tended to have a couple of varls hang back and only plod into battle when armour was already depleted. And sometimes that meant sacrificing another character to an early injury – a sort of kamikaze attack.

Agreed on the restrictiveness though. Squad selection is meaningless – presumably that changes later in the game, perhaps when the two groups meet? And there aren’t enough chances to shop or level up. It doesn’t help that there are SO many different classes, all with one special ability. And mostly unique to a single character, at this point.

BUT I LIKE IT!

John: See, I don’t! [...] I’m at a point now where I can’t win a fight. My guys are injured, the game won’t let me rest before the next fight, and it’s packed with ridiculously overpowered enemies. So I won’t win it, no matter how often I replay. So is that a game over? Am I done now?​

The verdict is, of course, that the game needs rebalancing so that poor game journalists don't struggle so much with it.

Also covered in the preview: permadeath, seemingly random events, and the game's art style. They also note that while there are decisions that can influence your progress, the game is completely "on rails"; but I guess that was to be expected.

Gaming journalism won't rest until all games have become interactive movies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom