Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment The Battle of 2024 AD: Bloodines 2 vs. Avowed.

Which will be the better game?

• Total voters

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
The two most anticipated RPGs of the year are going head-to-head. Which one do you think will be better? Most everyone here will probably play both day 1 (if not earlier...) Place your bets!

Bloodlines 2:

Fight your way through a modern-day Seattle on the brink of an open war as an elder Vampire. Meet the power-players, ally yourself and decide who will rule and what the city will become.

A three-front siege on Seattle, a power vacuum in the vampire court and an awakened elder at odds with the voice in their head, realized by BAFTA award winning studio, The Chinese Room.

Explore visceral, immersive combat rewarding entirely different playstyles and approaches based on your choice of vampire clan. Will you wade into the fray with supernatural fists, harangue from afar or rebalance your odds by thinning the herd like the apex predator you are? Clan choice supports these playstyles and more.

AVOWED:
"We at Obsidian Entertainment know players have been anticipating an updated look at Avowed and we’re excited to show off what we’ve been working on with a first-ever gameplay trailer today at Xbox Games Showcase 2023. Expanding the universe that we created for the original Pillars of Eternity games, Avowed brings a new perspective, a new way to fight, and a new land to explore in the world of Eora. The Pillars games are near and dear to us and we can’t wait to share Avowed with everyone next year. "

Gargaune

Magister
RetardedDancingDonut.gif
3nAv4H0.gif
RetardedDancingDonut.gif

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Writing - Both are terrible but Avowed has the edge for not having a bitch in your ear stating the obvious all the time.

Art - Avowed is the winner here, Bloodlines 2 looks incredibly cheap.

Role-playing - While diminished compared to previous Obs titles, Avowed claims there will be loads of choices and consequences. That Bloodlines 2 mission looked very railroaded with Bioware-flavor choices.

Systems - People made fun of Obsidian for going on on about a basic feature like load-outs, but at least they have equipment. Bloodlines 2 also appears to have gutted VtM's character system. Beating the hell out of people looks more entertaining in Bloodlines 2 than Avowed, but that's the only advantage it has.

Content shown so far - Xaurip camp was pretty by-the-numbers, but it looked less obnoxious than "beat these ghouls then beat these mannequins then find and destroy a bunch of record players all on the same map."

Things to keep in mind: Avowed has a core team of 100, Bloodlines 2 has a core team of maybe 50-70? (TCR has about 100 employees total and they're working on two games, but one is a walking sim so I don't know how many are on it). Despite the talent drain, Obsidian has a lot of established pipelines and this isn't their first Unreal Engine RPG. The Chinese Room is a Ship of Theseus with a bunch of people who have never worked together before working in a genre most of them haven't worked on before.

Since they're both scheduled for Fall 2024, I have a lot of confidence Avowed is going to utterly cream Bloodlines 2 even if it ends up underperforming as well.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
didn't they say the mission shown in bloodlines 2 was very early on in the game, like essentially one of the starter areas? bloodlines 2 makes the same claims that avowed does, and avowed has shown just as much in terms of "bioware-flavor choices" bloodlines 2 has classes though, while avowed is clearly advertised as being classless

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
didn't they say the mission shown in bloodlines 2 was very early on in the game, like essentially one of the starter areas?

In the age of "the first act should have the strongest, most polished content" that doesn't bode well.

bloodlines 2 makes the same claims that avowed does, and avowed has shown just as much in terms of "bioware-flavor choices"

In Avowed you could choose to give that guy the tags or call him a coward (leading to a fight?). In Bloodlines 2, all roads lead to that nosferatu blowing up.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Which one will be easier to mod?

Honestly, IF Avowed implements cool cipher-esque abilities, it can be fun to troll NPC's. I can't see any possibility of fun in Vtmb2. Playing as an androgynous elder vampire with strange voices in his head called "phyre", having no muscle mass despite being a brujah in middle of modern day Seattle seems quite boring.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
They're both shit, but Blyadlines 2 Dumpsterphyre looks considerably worse than Awoked. In fact, and I say this without exaggeration, Dumpsterphyre might be the worst game I've ever had the misfortune of laying my eyes upon.

Last edited:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Avowed is probably going to be shit but you'd probably have to be completely delusional to think chink room VTMB2 is going to somehow be better than it after the gameplay reveal. In any case it's like picking if you want to eat someone's vomit or shit.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
In any case it's like picking if you want to eat someone's vomit or shit.
Hm, vomit and shit are both equally disgusting, so this doesn't really apply here.

In this case, it would be like picking between drinking piss (Awoked) or drinking cum (VTM: Dumpsterphyre).

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Avowed will have character creation (although with limited options like 2 races only), it seems like Bloodlines 2 will force you to play as a hermaphrodite Phyre, with only choice regarding xir's clan.

Also, 'outfits' instead of a normal inventory, lol.

It may very well be a cripple fight, but it seems to me those cripples aren't evenly matched.

Viata

Arcane
Easiest way of finding the users with the worse taste in this forum. Both games look like shit. There is literally no reason to play either going by the trailers, yet someone (or a lot of people) here will buy it. And then they will shitpost on SJW thread how game is in decline, how developers don't know how to make game. Yet they go on to buy shit games.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom