Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The City of Heroes Thread

NwNgger

Educated
The sad thing for me is that CoH is unbeaten in terms of the leveling experience. One of the best in all MMOs baring maybe the original The Secret World. And at one point, the community was great too. But the absolutely faggot derived drama that enabled the game to hidden for 8 years by a group of dweebs who thought they were the chosen people whilst laughing behind the curtain, sabotaging other restoration efforts, and lied, bullied, and doxxed to keep the game secret had completely soured me on the game and it's community. It's just not fun for me anymore. Homecoming is full of unbearable woke types, mimmaxing fags who just want to hide in AE farms with their Fire/Spines brutes, and cancerously censors characters they feel are offensive or IP infringing. And that's ignoring they're run by the same cunts who kept the game hidden with gay ops. Rebirth is boring and Thunderspy is absolutely infested with trannies and coomers. No one just wants to play the game.

I actually think I preferred it when I thought CoH was lost forever. At least then I didn't think I'd see it get ruined by this gay Earth.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
The sad thing for me is that CoH is unbeaten in terms of the leveling experience. One of the best in all MMOs baring maybe the original The Secret World. And at one point, the community was great too. But the absolutely faggot derived drama that enabled the game to hidden for 8 years by a group of dweebs who thought they were the chosen people whilst laughing behind the curtain, sabotaging other restoration efforts, and lied, bullied, and doxxed to keep the game secret had completely soured me on the game and it's community. It's just not fun for me anymore. Homecoming is full of unbearable woke types, mimmaxing fags who just want to hide in AE farms with their Fire/Spines brutes, and cancerously censors characters they feel are offensive or IP infringing. And that's ignoring they're run by the same cunts who kept the game hidden with gay ops. Rebirth is boring and Thunderspy is absolutely infested with trannies and coomers. No one just wants to play the game.

I actually think I preferred it when I thought CoH was lost forever. At least then I didn't think I'd see it get ruined by this gay Earth.
Stop being such a massive faggot, just make a group of friends you enjoy doing content with and ignore everyone else.

NwNgger

Educated

Stop being such a massive faggot, just make a group of friends you enjoy doing content with and ignore everyone else.
You seem to have taken me calling City of Heroes players faggots, trannies, and autists very personally. Why would I want to play with any of you?

Lhynn

Arcane
Im just saying bro. Find your particular group, or make one of your own. Recruit like minded individuals and run content with them.

About four years ago I met two players and weve been running content since. You do not have to engage with people you do not like, you can turn of general chat and just enjoy the game with people you like.
There are countless tools for this. Call your SG 5th column or something and watch who wants to join.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jesus christ, what a bitch. Waaah why can't everything be PERFECT like it was when I was 12. Spoiler: OG COH didn't let you make "ILuvHitler666" either. Also, there were players who made characters you did not like then too. I even saw a powergamer once who did not play the game the same way I did.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wish CoH had art/colour templates for the artistically challenged / super not visual people like myself. A buddy of mine used to play this back in the day and he was showing it to me and I built a character up that had a full concept and backstory, etc. but trying to design him. I was like: Uh... his coat should be... brown. His hat... brown. Pants... brown? I guess?

Oh, he looks like a lump of shit. :lol:

Turn_BASED

Educated
I never play CoH, if I want to try now is HC or Thunder server better?
Thunderspy has lots of new costume options added by the community as well as power sets. It’s also far more codex friendly in the sense that you can make a Colonel Sanders mastermind with custom slave minions and the other players would high five you for the idea. On HC you would get banned.

The problem is that barely anyone plays there. If you can get on during peak hours you’ll find a group no problem though. Despite the custom content, Thunderspy tries to deliver a far more vanilla leveling experience. It takes longer and you’re not gifted tons of premium powers right at the start.

HC, on the other hand, is loaded with players and you’ll find a group at all hours. You’ll also skip some of the lower level content due to how much faster you level with the XP boosts.

Powerset balance between the two servers is different, too. I can’t speak to recent changes on Thunderspy, but HC has done a decent job bringing up previously shit sets. Some are still bad or difficult to use (secondaries especially).

Also, if you play HC, do not play a Brute. They just got nerfed to shit and are useless compared to tankers or scrappers.

Turn_BASED

Educated
51yq54.png

Just made a 5th column-inspired villain if anyone wants to play noob redside content. I've never done redside stuff before so it's a breath of fresh air. Contact Leutnant Sturmwolke if you wanna party.

Lhynn

Arcane
Also, if you play HC, do not play a Brute. They just got nerfed to shit and are useless compared to tankers or scrappers.
Good thing I decided on making two scrappers. Broad sword and shield, and titan weapons and bio armor.
Brutes are pretty great, they just lost a little bit of their damage cap. They are a middle of the road between tanks and scrappers in terms of survivability/damage now.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You’ll also skip some of the lower level content due to how much faster you level with the XP boosts.

is this optional or can I keep low EXP rate?
It's optional! Don't do double xp. First, it turns off your "influence" (gold) income which you really do not want. Second, I PROMISE you don't want to skip the early game. Once you have a level 50 character (levelled the "honest" way) and understand what you're doing, only then should you consider Homecoming's (gamebreakingly) generous "S.T.A.R.T." system.

Also be warned that some Homecoming servers* have natively increased xp to attract more players to underpopulated shards. Do not start on one of them for the same reasons.
*Torchbearer, Reunion, Indomitable

And yes, Lhynn is correct and Turn_BASED is giving you bad advice about Brutes; also his presumptuous advice about how "you will skip lower levels" shows that T_B makes poor choices. Be careful reading his posts - he has some good facts but his opinions on how to enjoy the game are very suspect.

Lastly, no matter where you play, "helpful" veterans may invite you to farms to powerlevel and skip the game. I recommend polite but firm refusal.

Last edited:

Turn_BASED

Educated
Turn_BASED is giving you bad advice about Brutes
You're giving him bad advice about brutes. They got gutted recently, I wish it wasn't the case. Their damage caps were lowered while tanks got buffed. Brutes are mostly redundant now.

also his presumptuous advice about how "you will skip lower levels" shows that T_B makes poor choices.
I never told him to take the boosts, I just said that you will skip most of the lower-level content with the XP boosts and most players take the double XP to do so. Sneed.

Lhynn

Arcane
You're giving him bad advice about brutes. They got gutted recently, I wish it wasn't the case. Their damage caps were lowered while tanks got buffed. Brutes are mostly redundant now.
Tank scalars are not even close to brutes, and tank damage didnt get touched overall, what tanks got was they lost the -20% res debuff in exchange for an increased area of effect and targets on their AoEs and slightly bigger damage to compensate.

You will still do more damage on a brute by a lot. The main problem was that brutes were stepping over scrappers toes a bit too heavily, so they got reigned in, because brutes already get the resistance cap of a tanker. Overall brutes have damage thats close to the highest melee dps AT, while tanking roughly as well as the best tank AT in.

Turn_BASED

Educated
Tank scalars are not even close to brutes, and tank damage didnt get touched overall, what tanks got was they lost the -20% res debuff in exchange for an increased area of effect and targets on their AoEs and slightly bigger damage to compensate.

You will still do more damage on a brute by a lot. The main problem was that brutes were stepping over scrappers toes a bit too heavily, so they got reigned in, because brutes already get the resistance cap of a tanker. Overall brutes have damage thats close to the highest melee dps AT, while tanking roughly as well as the best tank AT in.
Brutes are only better at single-target damage atm. Tanks are better (damage-wise) in every other situation due to the increased radius and target caps. If that's what I wanted I would just play scrapper.

Lhynn

Arcane
Brutes are much better at tanking than scrappers, they have a higher hp and hp cap, and higher max resistances. I think its fine to have something between two extremes.

Zombra

Patron
The real point is, picking apart this class is trash and forbidding people to play it because it's only 0.96 as efficient as that class, despite its unique and interesting mechanics, is obnoxious powergamer bullshit. Brutes are fun and there is a place for them whether they meet your xp/second metrics or not. Let someone new to the game have fun.

Lhynn

Arcane
The real point is, picking apart this class is trash and forbidding people to play it because it's only 0.96 as efficient as that class, despite its unique and interesting mechanics, is obnoxious powergamer bullshit. Brutes are fun whether they meet your xp/second metrics or not. Let someone new to the game have fun.
Eh, its nonsense, people still use brutes to farm. Because end of the day they get to hit cap with resists and they have superior damage to tankers.
Scrappers will die in farms if they arent careful, tanks wont do enough damage.

I see a lot of problems with how they have handled the updates of old sets in HC. Trick arrow nowadays is probably the most powerful kit in the entire game for example, going from mediocre to obscene. But the changes to brute werent a big deal, and the changes to tanker made them viable when soloing, so its fine.

Lhynn

Arcane
Dumb question, but did they combine CoH and CoV at some point?
Yes and no, it was always part of the same server. With their last update, I believe it was Freedom, the developers made two new aligments available, you no longer needed to be either a hero or a villain, you could be a vigilante or a rogue too. Doing alignment missions, which presented you with moral choices you could switch alignment from one end to the other. Vigilantes and Rogues have access to all content. With vigilantes having access to hero contacts and rogues having access to villain contacts as well.

Before that you could only meet people of the opposite aligment in shared maps like pocket D or the pvp maps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom