Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Cradle

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Can someone else play this level for me? My god.
I'm the sort of pussy who couldn't play Doom 3 for two days after the bathroom mirror scene.

catfood

AGAIN
What? You mean the Thief 3 level? It's not so scary after you realize that
you can kill the zombies with 2 flash grenades

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
kingcomrade said:
I'm the sort of pussy who couldn't play Doom 3 for two days after the bathroom mirror scene.
NPC_6041_m_RannosDavi.jpg
xcom3gh7.png

Deadly Shadows was awesome and I'm one of those guys who loved the originals, too.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
kingcomrade said:

There's a fan-made mission for Thief 2 called Deceptive Perceptions. It's ssooooo you. :D

Solivagant

Novice
Heresiarch said:
The patients can be 1-hit killed with backstab.

I shat my pants
way before the patients, the first half of the level is terrifying, then you realize its completely empty and feel like an idiot, and THEN the patients show up
!

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
It's pretty creepy how the lights always flash and buzz when those zombies walk near them. Still, I found that level's background noise to be the creepiest part. In the very beginning when there are no enemies all those ghost voices screaming can really creep you the fuck out.

Imbecile

Arbiter
poocolator said:
Deadly Shadows was awesome and I'm one of those guys who loved the originals, too.

Ditto for me. Thought it was hugely underrated (though the levels could've been larger, and I missed the sketchy maps)

Monolith

Prophet
I've never saved as often as in the first part of that mission, that one without enemies. I just knew something had to happen. And then the knocking started. I'll never play it again.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is the only good thing about Thief 3, and it's great. Real nice.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
The thing I love about the Cradle is that just keeps going on and on. From the moment the mission starts, you are intensely uncomfortable and want to leave immediately, but it won't let you, and the farther into the mission you get, the farther away the end seems to be. When I finally escaped from that place, I was as relieved as I had ever been. Then I remembered I was just playing a video game, and had to chuckle in amazement that a video game had managed to keep me frightened, on edge, and completely absorbed for the two hours or so it took me to finish the mission.

Solivagant

Novice
Monolith said:
I've never saved as often as in the first part of that mission, that one without enemies. I just knew something had to happen. And then the knocking started. I'll never play it again.

Yes, YES, I remember now, I was quicksaving like a maniac. Truly Thief 3's highest moment. But the rest of the game was great as well, it was much better than DX:IW, and achieved its goals of being an "almost sandbox" thief game in a small city environment.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
ScottishMartialArts said:
The thing I love about the Cradle is that just keeps going on and on. From the moment the mission starts, you are intensely uncomfortable and want to leave immediately, but it won't let you, and the farther into the mission you get, the farther away the end seems to be. When I finally escaped from that place, I was as relieved as I had ever been. Then I remembered I was just playing a video game, and had to chuckle in amazement that a video game had managed to keep me frightened, on edge, and completely absorbed for the two hours or so it took me to finish the mission.
Yeah... I was reminded of this too just now, watching a walkthrough of the cradle on youtube. The thing... never... ends.... there's always just one more damn task to complete before that releasing jump out of the window.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jasede said:
This is the only good thing about Thief 3, and it's great. Real nice.

It is actually the only thing from Thief 3 that I still remember, apart from consoletarded size of the levels and dumbed down lockpicking. The Cradle was good, I wanted to get out from it ASAP but as soon as I thought - "exit, finally!" the game was like "no bitch, you're even more fucked that you think, do this now". Good memories. Games of the yore didn't need hordes of retarded monsters hiding in the wardrobes to try to scare you like it was in Doom3.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
MetalCraze said:
Games of the yore didn't need hordes of retarded monsters hiding in the wardrobes to try to scare you like it was in Doom3.

This particular game of yore was released within three months of Doom3.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
MetalCraze said:
Games of the yore didn't need hordes of retarded monsters hiding in the wardrobes to try to scare you like it was in Doom3.

This particular game of yore was released within three months of Doom3.

Then it's a game of yore of three months.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Data4 said:
In before obligatory mention of/comparison with The Ocean House in Bloodlines.

No disrespect to the late, great Troika Games, but The Cradle is roughly a million times better than the Ocean House.

Data4

Arcane
Data4 said:
In before obligatory mention of/comparison with The Ocean House in Bloodlines.

No disrespect to the late, great Troika Games, but The Cradle is roughly a million times better than the Ocean House.

Oh, I definitely agree. It's just that it seems like every time a discussion about Shalebridge is started, someone has to mention The Ocean House. I figured I'd go ahead and get that out of the way.

abstract

Scholar
MetalCraze said:
It is actually the only thing from Thief 3 that I still remember, apart from consoletarded size of the levels and dumbed down lockpicking.

How exactly was the lockpicking dumbed down from holding the right mouse button in T1 and T2?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
MetalCraze said:
How exactly was the lockpicking dumbed down from holding the right mouse button in T1 and T2?

Very good point. It was actually a smarter system than used in Thief 1 and 2. The dumb part about it, however, was that it allowed the usage of the intermediate directions (NW, NE, SE and SW) but only one or two locks in the whole game needed you to turn the lockpicks in those directions.

EDIT: Cleanup in post #23.

wrathofdog

Scholar

Srsly? I never played Thief, but the Ocean House was incredible. Hm, I might have to get this game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'd recommend buying Thief 3 for 5$ and using a savegame from the internet just to play The Cradle.

The Ocean House is pretty terrible after The Cradle. (Then again, I always thought the Ocean House was never that good - the Tzimisce mansion was more terrifying to me since I have a giant distaste for flesh-monsters.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom