Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The Crew -- Ubisoft's now released MMOCARPG

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Holy shit what a disaster.

I'm only going to spend a little effort to describe this train wreck, and only because anyone reading this is presumably a fellow Codexer.

- First of all, the 60fps lock is real. And it can't be defeated. And it basically ruins the game. That by itself would be enough for me to just ragequit, but I tried out the rest of the intro anyway.

- The game is relatively attractive on the surface, but looking closely reveals it doesn't hold up to Forza Horizon, not even the earlier versions of FH. Character models are a joke, shadows are inconsistent and usually bad, car models are barely adequate for 2023, everything looks like it's simultaneously overdone and underdeveloped. The rear-view mirror doesn't even reflect anything!

- The driving model itself is meh. I was able to take a right-hand 90 degree turn in a stock BMW Z3 at 70MPH like I had supermagnets mounted to the bottom of my car and steel tracks laid under the road. There was even a puddle of water that made no difference whatsoever. And it looks like you can wallride in this game, too, if the stupid Jap portion of the intro is any real indicator.

- Speaking of the character models, they were almost all brown of some shade or another. I normally don't really care about this kind of thing, and it is supposed to take place in Hawaii, but it's a little too obvious.

- Consolification is nearly unbearable, which is probably something I should have predicted.

- The music is uninspiring, the overall presentation is rather amateurish, the whole thing looks like it took maybe a couple of years to develop, if that.

But I saved the best for last. This is as close to a ripoff of Forza Horizon as is possible. Everything from the bright lights, the streamers everywhere, fireworks, people dancing, all the "events"; it's indistinguishable from FH. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Playground Games (and Microsoft) sued Ubisoft for copyright infringement. It's that similar.

Oh well, sigh. Waited a long time for this one but it appears to be stillborn.

Back to the Forza games I go. Uninstalled.

lycanwarrior

Scholar

Ubisoft’s The Crew™ Motorfest on the Road to Success With Biggest Ever Franchise Launch:​

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...ccess-With-Biggest-Ever-Franchise-Launch.html

PARIS – September 19th, 2023 – Today, Ubisoft® announced strong early momentum for The Crew™ Motorfest, the brand-new open world driving experience of The Crew franchise. The game is the highest rated title in the franchise and had the best first week for the franchise in terms of total unit sell through, overall consumer spend, and season pass adoption rate.

Modron

Arcane
Imagine buying a The Crew game when you won't be able to play it in 6 years times tops.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom