Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Arnust

Savant
rUBEzq4.jpg

Okay, wow. I had the impression it was something like this, but this is pretty much spot on, except for possibly leaving out some DS2 ones and some other small error like the Pyromancer/Tattered set being missing.

It's just so telling that there are more DS1 sets in DS3 than there are left behind.

I'l look forward to if the guy does a weapons version of it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I mean, it helps when you put Hollow Soldier Set in DS1 and DS2 separately instead of in the overlapping part... and then do the same thing with other sets in the part where DS3 and 1 overlap and the DS2 unique part. More fake fanboy diagrams, why am I not surprised.

Arnust

Savant
I6plJHS.jpg
latest

Yeah, because they're the exact same set. How would I have not realized! DS3 also has its own version of it and it's also sepparate from the others, so what's your point?

It did that once or twice in the mistakes I mentioned, like being a bit confused about the Shadow set, where there is a different one with the same name in 2, and likely some other one.

Arnust

Savant
Yes, once or twice. I wonder how much better would it fare if BB/DeS could be included.

Whoa man, Demon Ruins is hardcore.

Area bosses from earlier areas are trash mobs in Demon Ruins. There is like an army of Taurus Demons and Capra Demons ever 2 steps, and there are massive actual bosses every 3 steps.

I took out Ceaseless Discharge as I mentioned before. Yesterday, first encountered and took out the Demon Firesage. He appears to be very tough, but there is an easy way to take him out once you figure it out. I started by dodge rolling and trying to hit him from behind, but that's a bad idea. He keeps throwing bombs with delayed explosions that are hard to dodge, and does weird attacks then.

What worked is realizing he is very vulnerable from the front. Dodge his initial attack to the side, then run in and start poking him in the belly at close range. His AI only has one defense against that in 90% of cases, and that's to float up and come down hard, but that's really easy to dodge, and come back to his belly. After I realized this, took him out in 1-2 tries, easy.

Then, I ran into the next boss, the Centipede Demon. The first fight was pretty lulz. I was looking at him and thinking what the ... and didn't even attempt to defend myself. Will need a 2nd try to even start fighting.

Also, I figured out a pretty bad-ass looking outfit. I don't like the look of most light armors in DS1 (shadow armor, brigand armor, sorcerer armor, wanderer armor, etc). So I mixed and matched. Holy chest piece, hard leather pants/boots, brigand gloves, no hat, ricard's rapier, buckler. Love the look.

Damned Registrations

For all the hate it gets, Demon Ruins + Izalith had some of the best enemies in the game. Not a single boring human to backstab fish in the entire area. I don't think there's anywhere else in the game you can say that about. I guess Tomb, if you take it separately from catacombs.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Those fat floating statues are by far the worst enemies in the game, and make up 90% of Izalith's population. Really reaching for stuff to praise there, aren't you?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Guys, I have something important to announce: yesterday, I defeated the dynamic duo of dragon-cat ormstein and fatsmough. Took quite a few tries (I am thinking around 10-15 tries), but I did it without summoning Solaire. 1 on 2, glorious Porky action.

The more I tried, the more they triggered me. It's a pretty unfair, trollish fight 1 on 2. They both have ranged closers and attacks, tons of knockdowns and cc, and other bullshit. Finally, I've had enough. Dumped my light-medium armor, and put on a lightweight set. Also put on that ring that gives you better rolls. Two-handed my longsword for more damage.

Went after ormstein first, since he is much quicker and harder to avoid. Would dodge his attacks, get a couple of strong swings in, and roll away in zig-zags, to avoid being impregnated by his bigger boned bf. Rinse and repeat. Finally got rid of him. Then fatty grew more electrical, and started discharging bolts out of his arse, but it didn't help him none. He slow attacks were no match for my circus outfit.

Now I sneer at you noobs who needed Solaire. :whatho:
When it's 5 in the morning, you need Solaire. Either that or go to sleep without finishing them...

Damned Registrations

They're not even close to the worst enemies in the game. Thats a 12 way tie between all the hollows, skeletons, knights and other humans that fight the exact same way.

Either that or those fucking mosquitos. Fuck those things. Oh, and the ceiling slimes. And the leeches are boring as fuck.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
They're not even close to the worst enemies in the game. Thats a 12 way tie between all the hollows, skeletons, knights and other humans that fight the exact same way.

Either that or those fucking mosquitos. Fuck those things. Oh, and the ceiling slimes. And the leeches are boring as fuck.
Really have an axe to grind with the backstab mechanic, huh? I'll give you the leeches on account of them being pretty much the exact same thing as the statues. Actually, no -- the leeches have two different attacks, making them better. Talk about all fighting the same way. At least humanoid enemies can kill you when you don't yet know the game inside out.

Damned Registrations

Whats your beef with them exactly? Not enough budget used on them? Are your graphics whore feelings hurt?

They're a type of enemy unique to that area that don't behavel ike anything else in the game. They're not amazing but saying they're the worst is ridiculous.

They're a type of enemy unique to that area that don't behavel ike anything else in the game. They're not amazing but saying they're the worst is ridiculous.

Funny because
these are essentially the same. Except they don't occupy an end game area so their lack of any real threat is a lot less offensive.

I love fighting humanoids, because you can parry them, which feels incredibly cool. Backstab is boring by comparison. When you parry a Black/Silver Knight, that feels cool. I was going through Anor Londo, taking out Silver Knights by the 10s, feeling like Chuck Norris. Although, the ones with Spears/Halberds gave me some problems. They have 2 types of attacks, a super quick thrust, and an incredibly slow unwinding twirl, so I would often guess wrong (twitch on the twirl or watch them on the thrust). But there are ways to deal with it. If their thrust gets through, they will follow with 2 thrusts, 2nd of which will be on a delay, so you can catch them then. If their twirl gets through, you can just reset and try again.

The fire-breathing statues in Demon Ruins ARE bad because there is too many of them, and no skill fighting them. Sidestep slow fire attack, poke to death. Over and over. Fortunately Ricard's Rapier quick-attacks super fast, so 4 fast attacks at +10, and bye bye statue.

Damned Registrations

Like 3/4ths of the enemies in the game pose no real threat. What makes these the worst out of all of them? Who cares if it's an end game area. They're like the goofy bone pillars in the tomb or the tiny baby hollow corpse tings or the big goofy toilet monsters or the spooky free loot dragon zombies. Not everything has to be a bonewheel skeleton in your dick.

Dunno if I'd call them the worst, but certainly one of the worst. At least stuff like slimes are set up to ambush you and mosquitos work to trick you into falling off something in blight town. The fire statues are just sort of there, in an underdeveloped area.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Like 3/4ths of the enemies in the game pose no real threat. What makes these the worst out of all of them? Who cares if it's an end game area. They're like the goofy bone pillars in the tomb or the tiny baby hollow corpse tings or the big goofy toilet monsters or the spooky free loot dragon zombies.
They aren't. They're just boring regular old statues, and there's five of them every two steps, in an area with nothing else (apart from a few toilet monsters and an NPC). Those other enemies you mention are A) more unique and cooler-looking, and B) a supplement to the actual dangers of the areas they're in.

Damned Registrations

At least they don't float up through the ground or spawn infinitely and serve to do nothing but prevent you from taking a piss. Seriously, fuck those mosquitos. They can't even poison you when you're in the lower area. Sen's has like 30 fucking serpent warriors and they're boring as fuck. Archives has 30 skeletons, they're boring as fuck (the squid monsters are awesome though, pity they're only in a single room.) The frogs I'm convinced have never killed anyone except people who either wanted to be cursed or dropped their controller for some reason, and they're the only enemy in an area that probably takes longer to go through than Izalith does. Don't even get me started on the egg monsters.

Anyways, they're just one fucking enemy. There's also the wall monsters, the toilet things, the demons, the dragon butts, and 2 of the most unique bosses in the game. I'm not going to shit all over the area because it has wimpy little statue dudes instead of wimpy little skeletons.

You know what's a shitty, uninspired monster? The torch hollows in the depths. They're identical to all the other fucking hollows, they just stagger forward and do a bullshit frenzy. By this point you've seen 50 of them, and they offer nothing interesting at all. They don't even look mildly interesting like the shitty crystal skeletons. Try replacing all the statues with generic torch hollows and tell me thats somehow an improvement.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Sounds like you were a lot better at this game than me, going through it for the first time. I'm glad I had a lot of trouble with all those things you mention, I doubt I'd have had as much fun if three fourths of the enemies posed no real threat.

Damned Registrations

That's not a boss, it's some sort of unreleased content that accidentally made it's way into the game instead of an awesome fight with Shiva.

I was referring to Ceaseless and Centipede.

Arnust

Savant
Those shitty turd demons (I'm sounding like sullynathan ) are a syntom of one of the problems with the DS1 later half and Izalith/Demon Ruins more obviously. It's mindless spam of mobs trying to fill in for a mostly empty level design. You can see it with the hordes of infested dudes, you can see it with the gangs of Capras/Taurus spread around in the middle of nowhere, and most notably, the fucking Dragon Butt lakes.

Torch hollows at least are a unique enemy that is actually incredibly dangerous if it catches you off guard, and there are like... Three total? If not, three encounters.

Mosquitos, in their eternal bullshit, are also rare, limited to their area, and still have something unique going for them as they are the only mob that can apparently ignore geometry? Is that a good thing, I don't know.

And lastly, slimes are rather an environmental trap.

The turd demon statues spew fire in a very small come doing very little fire damage in an area were everything deals fire damage so you should use some fire defense to mitigate it even further. They're incredibly slow, easy to stu lock, little health, and generally are less menacing than an angry roomba despite their numbers. They aren't EVEN coupled with actual enemies to spice up other encounters where they could add some area denial, you never have to take them in simultaneously to something else. But please, tell me more about how amazing they are.

It's not like the problem with backstabbing is fault of a rather ultimately flawed combat system, no, it must be the enemies' fault.

There's a fair lot of fall in praising this area's bosses to diss pretty much the whole of 2's, considering they are essentially a slow time event (tank the hits and DPS the cheeto or do the instakill that I still don't know how to do), "Mr. Small platform bullshit" and last but not least "hit the glowies then a jump".

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom