Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
That's an interesting proposition actually. What's the overall gameplan?
I shoot my twanger and roll so I don't get hit. It's all about finding when you can hit because you really lack stopping power. High damage per shot but you're not doing a 3 hit combo and rolling afterwards. Some enemies like dark wraiths become a real problem with their combos because you can't interrupt them reliably.

Going to the catacomb is also kind of suicide for people who don't know how Souls works. But in the end it's kind of nice how Souls logic often works in a normal crpg kind of logic. Of course you'd need holy damage to kill undead for sure, until you find out killing the necromancers has the same effect. Similarly, it makes sense that ghosts can't be hit normally. I don't think there's like outlandish loops of logic in that regard.
Souls games are at their heart, cheap Japanese imitations of the golden era of Western fantasy. Ghosts not being hit by magic swords (fire/lightning/holy) feels a bit off but it's an interesting area so it's fantasy logic breaks isn't a big problem.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Fair enough, but I also meant what's the crossbow you're ultimately planning on? I'm assuming heavy early on and Avelyn late game?

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Avelyn reloads faster but it chews through so much ammo and is easy to miss your shots with. I like the heavy more but it depends on the fight. If you need speed you want Avelyn but in general the stopping power and resource management of heavy is nicer.

Some bosses end up being really interesting.. or painful. Invisible enemies and no way to aim make the painted world a problem. Can't do a jumping attack to skip the dragon butt either. So it's the long way round.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So I'm replaying vanilla Dark Souls 2. I had played a bit of it in the past, but then started and finished the SOTFS version.

All and all I'm having a lot of fun, can't say it's a better game than SOFTS, but it's not worse either. And that's the big disappointment with Softs, that when you add it all, it didn't actually manage to be a better game than the original.

Vanilla seems easier, but also less frustrating. As far as I can tell, at least, since I haven't played softs for some years now.

Anyway, IMO it's a far better game than DSIII, which I have no desire to replay (without some huge remake mod at least).

I've been using axes and having a blast. Dual Wielding Bandit Axe and Battle Axe is pretty fun and kicks a lot of punch.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anyway, IMO it's a far better game than DSIII, which I have no desire to replay (without some huge remake mod at least).
I can't stand vanilla DS3 but I highly recommend the Convergence overhaul mod. Turns a barely average game into a great one (altho even that can't fix the shitty afterthought of a level design).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom