Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The David W. Bradley's Wizards & Warriors Thread

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php

I really like their forums look and DL pages. A pleasant look.
Me too, and I can remember lurking there back in like 2000 or 2001. I didn't even realize they have an entire Wizards & Warriors forum, I used to go there to read about Baldur's Gate 2.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
How do you save your game in this?

Isn't there an image of a disk on the bottom left of the UI. Should be a row of three buttons, with the disk being the third to click on.
That seems to only allow loading a save, of which I have none. My characters persisted at the inn between closing and relaunching the game, but I think that's not going to help me if I need to quit in the middle of a dungeon.

https://af.gog.com/forum/wizards_and_warriors/how_i_save_the_game?as=1649904300

edit: it seems you have to leave town before you can save the game.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah the town is basically a fancy menu (and one that introduced some technical issues IIRC), the actual "game" is outside.

Weird decision considering the engine was seemingly capable of making large areas and there was functionality for non-combat NPCs.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Yeah the town is basically a fancy menu (and one that introduced some technical issues IIRC), the actual "game" is outside.

Weird decision considering the engine was seemingly capable of making large areas and there was functionality for non-combat NPCs.
I love W&W. For, me it's one of the best RPG experiences ever. But, there's little that is not weird on W&W, and the saying "an uncut gem" falls horribly short here. W&W is a total genius, and a large marvel of RPG. However, that's being hidden behind miles and miles of thorny bushes :mixedemotions:

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Alright, I've played this for about 5 hours now and I'm pretty sure this is miles better than Wizardry 8. The interface and controls are pure jank, but the dungeon design is great and the character systems are interesting. It doesn't take 30 minutes to clear a single combat encounter or go from location to location. I like the towns being presented as single screens and guilds providing access to quests and special equipment. The narrator popping in periodically for flavor text is perfect. Very cozy game.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I finally finished the Crypt. I don't know how you're intended to deal with those stairs that recede into the ground, but I had to bust out some Quake movement to jump to the ledges.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I finally finished the Crypt. I don't know how you're intended to deal with those stairs that recede into the ground, but I had to bust out some Quake movement to jump to the ledges.
I vaguely remember doing the same :) Btw the Crypt was one of the most horrible moments for me, I wanted to quit. Not only I was totally unprepared for the difficulty, always reloading dead from fights, but also while opening the final sarcophagus I somehow got stuck behind it. A fitting crown of the Crypt's frustrations indeed. However, a mechanical god of miracles and play-dom must've had mercy on me that day or something. Throwing 99/100 *in the real life* I've actually clipped a wall after days of crazy attempts for anything. I refused to reload earlier saves, being somewhat far in the game. The rest is described in an earlier post here.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Crypt is fun and full of mysteries, but is nowhere near the best dungeon in the game. You're gonna have an even better time later on with the dungeon designs.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Crypt is fun and full of mysteries, but is nowhere near the best dungeon in the game. You're gonna have an even better time later on with the dungeon designs.
Really amazing that I found a hidden area in the Serpent Temple recently on like my fifth time through the game over the years. I was like no way is stacking all these boxes worth it and... sure enough there was something up there worth the trouble.

Just unparalleled dungeon design.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Haha, that actually speaks for the robust design of the game, that you were able to solve the puzzle that way. Which is not intended. But you can abuse the funky engine in so many ways, crate stacking is another way.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Is there a good video playthrough of this role playing RPG computer role playing video game?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Is there a good video playthrough of this role playing RPG computer role playing video game?
https://www.youtube.com/results?sea...+role+playing+video+game+wizards+and+warriors

I don't believe there is. Unfortunately only the ordinary ones.
I'll stick with D fortae
Liquid suspension of purified hyperimmune imunoglobulins to ensure passive immunization of dogs against distemper, for therapeutic and prophylactic use?

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
whoever came up with the concepts for the Serpent Temple should be hanged. The game starts out strong with the Crypt dungeon, but having to sit through the slog that is the temple really dampens my enthusiasm for further playthroughs.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
whoever came up with the concepts for the Serpent Temple should be hanged. The game starts out strong with the Crypt dungeon, but having to sit through the slog that is the temple really dampens my enthusiasm for further playthroughs.
Just need to stay organized and you're fine. Or use a good guide lol. Was pretty psyched to find the area even the most comprehensive guide missed tho. Yeah you just try to wing it you're going to be screwed, but I was in the Crypt to when I did that.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Just need to stay organized and you're fine. Or use a good guide lol. Was pretty psyched to find the area even the most comprehensive guide missed tho. Yeah you just try to wing it you're going to be screwed, but I was in the Crypt to when I did that.

Having this very puzzle heavy area infested with low level casters close to the starting area is a weird decision. Not to mention the backtracking. The game also strongly incentivizes guild training on level up for low level characters, but who wants to run the length of the temple to town and back again when that happens?

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, just not the Serpent Temple. Played years ago up until Brimloch Roon and I'm having even more of a blast now than back then. It would help if the temple had some interesting combats, but those low level priests and vipers are just cannon fodder.

Sam Bixby

Educated
Anyone know if you there is a way to use the Ludmeister's Wizards and Warriors Mod v1.1 mod with the gog version? I hear you can just use the .DAT files and not the exe, but when I do that it's not working.

Only when I replace the deep6.exe it works, but then it go's back to the old crappy version of the game and my mouse is laggy and no alt-tap.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Anyone know if you there is a way to use the Ludmeister's Wizards and Warriors Mod v1.1 mod with the gog version? I hear you can just use the .DAT files and not the exe, but when I do that it's not working.

Only when I replace the deep6.exe it works, but then it go's back to the old crappy version of the game and my mouse is laggy and no alt-tap.
I don't know, sorry. Maybe try to read-only the deep6.exe file after you installed the mod?

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
what the fuck is with the weird mouse lag? there is no fine tuned movement, it all has to be large sweeping mouse moves for the game to register it. i used the mod above, acutally followed the instrucxtions, got it to work, just the mouse thing is fucking me up not being able to make any fine movements with the mouse.

found the solution, change your polling rate on your mouse to 125

BTqsgVQ.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom