Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The day has come - Bethesda wants to revive another classic

Drakron

Arcane
PennyAnte said:
I forgot about that. That's an MMO I might play, actually, mainly because I really <3 WoD. I didn't like EVE Online, but separately from my personal taste it seemed like decent work.

Too bad WoD ended and there is come a reboot, the New World of Darkness, now with 267% more of Rice Vampires and 670% more of emo.

That MMO is kinda a vision of Hell to me ... 70% of the server population would be emo.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
It can't be Arcanum.

Sierra owned the rights to the Arcanum IP, but it has closed down due to the merger with Activision Blizzard, so I assume they now own the rights to the franchise.

made

Arcane
Annie Carlson said:
One thing I actually wouldn't mind seeing is a revamp of the Eye of the Beholder series. It'd be nice in particular if they could make the guys in the rear of the party DO DAMAGE WORTH A DAMN. I mean, sure, that's where I put my cleric/mage/thief and my wizard, but STILL, some extra damage up front would be nice instead of just having to throw ROCKS THAT I FOUND.

Keep that in mind, Bethesda! ;)

Protip: equip your casters in the back row with spellbooks in order for them to cast damaging spells on enemies.

Hurr hurr.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
DURR, I did that, but when skeletons suddenly show up BEHIND you or you don't want to waste your most powerful spell on a scrub goblin, I'd like to do more than just huck rocks at 'em. :P

Goddammit, WHY do I want to play those games again?! They're never as good as I remember! FUUUUUUUCK.

...also I doubt it's Thief. To be honest, my money's either on Ultima or another old-school RPG that we'll all go "Ohhhhhhhh THAT one!" and everyone else will go "huh wut?"

Lord_Summoner

Novice
mondblut said:
Might & Magic has already been raped to hell and back. 3d first, two terrible installments second, action/adventure and FPS spinoffs third.

oh, right, i forgot about M&M IX and Dark Messiah... when I am talking about Might and magic, my mind is stucked somwhere between 6 and 7

mondblut said:
I'd personally love if they would pick PST. It will make the Codex tremendously entertaining for years to come, universe knows nothing of shitstorms of such immense massivity.

Well, if that will happen, it would be one huge sociologic experiment

Fyz

Scholar
Look! There are already screenshot leaks to be found!
mi5.jpg

Kz3r0

Arcane
Drog Black Tooth said:
It can't be Arcanum.

Sierra owned the rights to the Arcanum IP, but it has closed down due to the merger with Activision Blizzard, so I assume they now own the rights to the franchise.
Thanks to God.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Deus Ex, after IW even Bethesda can do better than that.

mondblut

Arcane
Drog Black Tooth said:
It can't be Arcanum.

Franchises and IPs tend to change hands occasionally. How else could they touch another studio's trademark in the first place? Either by buying it out, or by signing up as a developer with a publisher holding it.

But Arcanum doesn't look like a profitable IP in the least. Too bad, the lulz would be of titanic proportions :lol:

PennyAnte

Liturgist
Drakron said:
the New World of Darkness, now with 267% more of Rice Vampires and 670% more of emo.

That MMO is kinda a vision of Hell to me ... 70% of the server population would be emo.
Yeah, I've heard a lot of bad stuff about the new WoD, though I haven't checked it out myself. But game translations often are different from the PnP, so there may be some ground made up there. Plus, maybe an EMMO would be ok if it translates into more of a focus on character and story in the game, right?

... Ok, fine, probably not, and it's likely to be horrid. Emo is emo. Still, I'll follow the development, just in case it turns out better than all that.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Planescape: Torment no doubt. Interplay most likely sold the license for a can of beans again and if you remember our very own MCA said that PS:T seriously lacks more combat.

And no one other than Beth will spiritually follow the ideals of Avellone.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"But Arcanum doesn't look like a profitable IP in the least. Too bad, the lulz would be of titanic proportions"

If Bethesda had the license, it would sell. I hate Bethesda as much - if not more - than the typical Cdoexian; but the game would sell.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Annie Carlson said:
One thing I actually wouldn't mind seeing is a revamp of the Eye of the Beholder series. It'd be nice in particular if they could make the guys in the rear of the party DO DAMAGE WORTH A DAMN. I mean, sure, that's where I put my cleric/mage/thief and my wizard, but STILL, some extra damage up front would be nice instead of just having to throw ROCKS THAT I FOUND.

Keep that in mind, Bethesda! ;)

I don't recall being able to make a Cleric/Mage/Thief in Eye of the Beholder.

PennyAnte said:
Yeah, I've heard a lot of bad stuff about the new WoD, though I haven't checked it out myself. But game translations often are different from the PnP, so there may be some ground made up there. Plus, maybe an EMMO would be ok if it translates into more of a focus on character and story in the game, right?

... Ok, fine, probably not, and it's likely to be horrid. Emo is emo. Still, I'll follow the development, just in case it turns out better than all that.

Game translations are often different from the PnP as far as the ruleset goes, but the problem with WoD 2.0 is not the ruleset but the setting itself, the element that any videogame inspired by it is bound to have nailed down. The ruleset has remained more or less the same while the themes, concepts, and symbols suffered from a massive level of dumbing down and simplification.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I'm pretty sure that whatever IP they pick, it'll sell. It's Bethesda, they got the hype machine prepped and ready. Fallout may have been a respected license before Fallout 3 but how many people knew of the first two games before Bethesda announced they would make a "sequel"? Actually the older the franchise, the better: people won't play the originals, which they will find archaïc, and see how they compare to the Bethesda version.

DraQ said:
:D You're good. Near miss.

Next time...

scient

Augur
Planescape Torment copyright was sold to some subsidiary of Bank of America when Black Isle Studio went bankrupt. You can look it up on US copyright website.

Date of Execution: as of 19Apr02; date of cert.: 23Apr02
Title: American deer hunting 2000 & 12 other titles.
Notes: Release and assignment of copyright. Doc refers to V3452 P715, recorded 10May00.
Party 1: Greyrock Captial, a division of Banc of America Commerical Finance Corporation, f.k.a. Greyrock Business Credit, a division of NationsCredit Commercial Corporation.
Party 2: Interplay Entertainment Corporation.

...and list of titles transfered to Greyrock Captial:

List of titles:

001 American deer hunting 2000 / PA 965-506 (2000)

002 Sklansky's poker / PA 967-766 (2000)

003 Star trek: starfleet command / TX 4-272-948 (1999)

004 American bull riding 2000.

005 Invictus.

006 Y2K the game.

007 Atomic bomberman / PA 954-473 (2000)

008 Kingpin / PA 965-524 (2000)

009 Virtual tennis / PA 951-792 (1999)

010 Descent 3 mercenary.

011 Freespace 2.

012 PlaneScape torment.

Cassidy

Arcane
scient said:
Planescape Torment copyright was sold to Jews ...

This may be worse than having it sold to Bethesda.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom