Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
What makes you think that EA didn't remove Gaider from Dragon Age after people bitched about the lackluster writing, the forced homosexuality wherever you look and heaps of gay lore (like transsexual Qunari)? As long as Gaider is lead writer people will expect more of that bullshit from the story DLC too.
Well, they didn't fire him after DA2 even though the outcry was much louder that time. EA isn't known for their history of caring about their customers' opinions. I doubt they care now.

imweasel

What makes you think that EA didn't remove Gaider from Dragon Age after people bitched about the lackluster writing, the forced homosexuality wherever you look and heaps of gay lore (like transsexual Qunari)? As long as Gaider is lead writer people will expect more of that bullshit from the story DLC too.
Well, they didn't fire him after DA2 even though the outcry was much louder that time. EA isn't known for their history of caring about their customers' opinions. I doubt they care now.
The only thing I remember was people whining because Anders got pissed if you turned down his homosexual advances. It is actually much worse this time round, DA2 didn't have ridiculous stuff like gay lore with tranny Qunari and shit like that.

Delterius

Arcane
Finally heard about Gaider leaving DA, laughed at how some of you guise thought that was a sign of failure and not a sign of a guy getting sick of working on the same damn thing for 10 years.
Probably because he is the best writer in that godforsaken team?

imweasel

Gaider is a better writer than Weekes? Nope.

As lead writer Gaider is responsible for the shitty writing and story in DA:I, which is the worst in the series.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Very soon we'll be able to see whether your assertion is true.

As lead writer Gaider is responsible for the shitty writing and story in DA:I, which is the worst in the series.
Being lead <whatever> is not about doing your subordinates' jobs for them. It's about providing guidance and seeing that the team works like a team, i.e. that everyone is working towards fulfilling common goals. As much as I hate Gaider I cannot hold him personally responsible for the abominable quality of writing in DA:I. He didn't type all those dreary yawn-wortry lines.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Very few people care. Teacup tempest.

Also EA HQ isn't too far from San Francisco, it's an extremely lgbt-friendly company.

He was the lead on all of them.

No Bioware writers are particularly better than others because of their company culture. They all drink from the same well.

imweasel

Very few people care. Teacup tempest.

Also EA HQ isn't too far from San Francisco, it's an extremely lgbt-friendly company.
Forcing shitloads of LGBT content into the game and being LGBT friendly (i.e. not a fag hater) are two different things.

Wasteland 2 has gay characters, but nobody cares because it isn't forced.

He was the lead on all of them.
Yep. And the quality of the writing has been dropping each game.

No Bioware writers are particularly better than others because of their company culture. They all drink from the same well.
No idea if Weekes is a substantially better writer, but he is definitely not worse than Gaider.

Sykar

Arcane

Considering how terrible it was in DA2 makes this whole fiasco even worse. Gaider truly is incompetent and should have been booted out of the gaming industry long ago.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Forcing shitloads of LGBT content into the game and being LGBT friendly (i.e. not a fag hater) are two different things.

Wasteland 2 has gay characters, but nobody cares because it isn't forced.

I wouldn't say it's forced in any of the DA games either. Unsurprisingly, straight people prefer gay people written by other straights and find gay characters written by gay people to be obnoxiously in-their-face about it.

I doubt it. Some of youse are so triggered by Bioware that you think their latest release is "their worst yet" until the next one as if their nadir wasn't NWN OC.

imweasel

I doubt it. Some of youse are so triggered by Bioware that you think their latest release is "their worst yet" until the next one as if their nadir wasn't NWN OC.
Well, for what it's worth, I love DA:O, ME1 and ME2 and think they are all better than NWN OC.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Brand new DLC announced.
vhrtQjk.jpg

darthaegis

Cipher
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-of-dragon-age-inquisition-single-player-dlc
Four achievements are unlockable in the new DLC:

The first award, Firestarter (15G), is awarded for destroying all Winter Shards and lighting all fires in a new location, the "Old Temple".

The next, Legend-Marked (30G), is awarded when you impress the Avvar tribe of Stone-Bear Hold and gain their friendship. The human Avvar have already made an appearance in Inquisition, although their influence was fairly minor.
Players were previously asked to impress a Dalish clan in what may be a similar fashion - via completing side-quests and missions to rank up influence.

The third award, Historian (30G), hints at you uncovering secrets of a "legendary figure". An elf is shown in the imagery.

And the final award, Winter's End (90G), is awarded when you "dispel a myth of ancient days".
"Destroying Winter Shards" - Destroy 10 winter shards
"Impress the Avvar tribe" - Collect 10 wolf testicles to impress the tribe, because saving the fucking world and slaying some sort of godlike guy doesn't impress anybody. :x
"Uncover secrets" - Collect ancient mosaics/whatever
"dispel a myth of ancient days" - and romance an elven goddess or some shit. Well, unless it's still written by Gaider. if that's the case it will be an elven genderless god or some sjw shit.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain"

Gaider has stayed in the industry a bit too long. There's something to say for retiring once you've reached the top of your game.

pippin

I can't bring myself to hate Gaider, because he made Ascension and because he never really seemed to be comfortable with his position. If anything, I kinda felt sorry for him when he said he was jaded with the BSN community.
ahh the "old temple" my second favorite rpg location after "old crypts"
What about "old sewers"? :D

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I can't bring myself to hate Gaider, because he made Ascension and because he never really seemed to be comfortable with his position. If anything, I kinda felt sorry for him when he said he was jaded with the BSN community.
ahh the "old temple" my second favorite rpg location after "old crypts"
What about "old sewers"? :D

Yea I felt sorry for him too.. Until..... I saw what a passive aggressive little douche bag he can be, the most important thing to him is not his customer base - but his own personal sexual fetishes that he shoe horns into every game he can.

If you by chance, even dare to disagree or oppose these stupid idea's, his last bastion of defense after calling you homophobic is throwing a tantrum and writing on his blog.

gayder.png

Sothpaw

Learned
DLC seems to add an extra zone filled with more of the same shit. Only $15!

I can't imagine why the fuck anyone would ever buy DLC for this game. The entire game is enter zone/find shards/pick flowers/close rifts/run to point X/fill requisition/kill dragon/etc/etc/etc. Easily the worst RPG I have ever finished; I think DA2 might actually be better because it is shorter and the PC controls actually function.

DLC seems to add an extra zone filled with more of the same shit. Only $15!

I can't imagine why the fuck anyone would ever buy DLC for this game. The entire game is enter zone/find shards/pick flowers/close rifts/run to point X/fill requisition/kill dragon/etc/etc/etc. Easily the worst RPG I have ever finished; I think DA2 might actually be better because it is shorter and the PC controls actually function.

Probably to admire the scenery:M its the best looking crpg on market right now

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I liked what he did with Ascension and used to respect him a great deal, but I have no sympathy for him when it comes to BSN. He frequently complained about the toxicity of the internets and the abuse they'd get when going "outside" and yada yada, and he (and the others at Bioware) decided to surround himself with nothing but the sycophant admirers who obsess over the chemical composition of Tali's sweat. This didn't happen by chance; they actively cultivated this fanbase, by ignoring and banning everyone else. Surprise surprise, people who obsess over the chemical composition of the sweat of one of your NPCs are not entirely balanced.

But that's not even the funny part. The funny part is that he became "jaded" because people dared criticize his precious game. Remember the DA2 community drama? When the initial customer response to DA2 was negative (unsurprisingly, considering the game's lack of quality), instead of weathering the storm, or trying to deal with the issues, or shrugging and saying "ok, let's start work on the next game, and let's do better", Bioware instead decided that the game cannot possibly be anything but awesome and that everyone criticizing it was filthy pirate from RPG Codex. So they made the DA2 forum inaccessible to anyone who hadn't bought the game (rememeber that?). Of course this changed nothing, because all the complaints were from people who had bought the game.

Every single person involved making anything has their work crticized by the intended audience. If you're a writer, some people will dislike your book. If you're a film maker, some people will dislike your movie. If you're a scientist, some people will criticize your science. Gaming is the only field where it is so common for developers to believe that nobody, NOBODY who criticizes your work, for any reason, ever, is worth listening to. Thankfully, not all developers are like this. It's also I think not too surprising that the ones who aren't like this are the ones who are still making good games. Nobody gets it right all the time. Not all criticism is valid. But if you don't listen to the crticism and don't think about it, you'll never know if you're getting it right or not.

pippin

I liked what he did with Ascension and used to respect him a great deal, but I have no sympathy for him when it comes to BSN. He frequently complained about the toxicity of the internets and the abuse they'd get when going "outside" and yada yada, and he (and the others at Bioware) decided to surround himself with nothing but the sycophant admirers who obsess over the chemical composition of Tali's sweat. This didn't happen by chance; they actively cultivated this fanbase, by ignoring and banning everyone else. Surprise surprise, people who obsess over the chemical composition of the sweat of one of your NPCs are not entirely balanced.

But that's not even the funny part. The funny part is that he became "jaded" because people dared criticize his precious game. Remember the DA2 community drama? When the initial customer response to DA2 was negative (unsurprisingly, considering the game's lack of quality), instead of weathering the storm, or trying to deal with the issues, or shrugging and saying "ok, let's start work on the next game, and let's do better", Bioware instead decided that the game cannot possibly be anything but awesome and that everyone criticizing it was filthy pirate from RPG Codex. So they made the DA2 forum inaccessible to anyone who hadn't bought the game (rememeber that?). Of course this changed nothing, because all the complaints were from people who had bought the game.

Every single person involved making anything has their work crticized by the intended audience. If you're a writer, some people will dislike your book. If you're a film maker, some people will dislike your movie. If you're a scientist, some people will criticize your science. Gaming is the only field where it is so common for developers to believe that nobody, NOBODY who criticizes your work, for any reason, ever, is worth listening to. Thankfully, not all developers are like this. It's also I think not too surprising that the ones who aren't like this are the ones who are still making good games. Nobody gets it right all the time. Not all criticism is valid. But if you don't listen to the crticism and don't think about it, you'll never know if you're getting it right or not.

Bioware was a company aiming to please their audience long before Mass Effect. There are some details in BG2, like romances and the inclusion of NPCs like Coran and Safana, which were the result of player feedback. Tali Sweat (tm) and those random gender characters aren't something really "new". After all this time, I'm beyond having any kind of trouble with Bioware's products, but you still have a point. You could go to BSN and realize there's a noticeable gap between modern Bio fans and legacy Bio fans.

Caim

Arcane
DLC...? wtf was this game about anyway?
It's about the Reapers Darkspawn invading the galaxy world and making it a shithole, so it's up to the Spectre Inquisitor (that's you!) to defeat them with the power of sticking his dick in everything his magic glowing hand.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom