Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
What annoyed me the most about DAI and made it completely unbearable is a combat mechanics - it was so grindy, so filled with bullet sponges. Especially dragon fights. I can see how exactly this game was intended tobe played - online, where all 4 characters are being controlled by an actual human who will perform their usual MMORPG routine of grinding a boss for some loot.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Especially dragon fights.
I set game difficulty to "casual" for all the dragon fights, because I didn't feel like sitting through the fight for ten hours as the dragon endlessly goes through the same phases of armoring up/flying around throwing fireballs/flapping wings to suck the party into a vortex/screeching to summon dragonlings over and over again.

I played the rest of the game on "nightmare".

Last edited:

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Finished the Jaws of Harkonnen. Fairly weak premise (we're on an expedition to find the previous inquisitor's remains? what?), develops into a minor save-the-world from yet another demon-dragon adventure, finishes with a SHOCKING TWIST that boldly deconstructs everyone's bigoted preconceptions, by revealing said inquisitor was 1. an elf! 2. a mage!! 3. still alive until we found him!!! 4. worshipped the Maker AND the elven gods!!!!

Racial justice RESTORED! Matriarchal tribe of noble savages BEFRIENDED! Evil patriarchal tribe of bloodthirsty savages DESTROYED!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finished the Jaws of Harkonnen. Fairly weak premise (we're on an expedition to find the previous inquisitor's remains? what?), develops into a minor save-the-world from yet another demon-dragon adventure, finishes with a SHOCKING TWIST that boldly deconstructs everyone's bigoted preconceptions, by revealing said inquisitor was 1. an elf! 2. a mage!! 3. still alive until we found him!!! 4. worshipped the Maker AND the elven gods!!!!

Racial justice RESTORED! Matriarchal tribe of noble savages BEFRIENDED! Evil patriarchal tribe of bloodthirsty savages DESTROYED!
Vladimir or Feyd-Rautha though?

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot

Vladimir or Feyd-Rautha though?
Alia.

9ted6

Educated

If you loved the bold deconstructions there you have no idea what you're in for with Trespasser. Point #4 is gonna feel especially ironic.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
The whole degradation from somewhat decent dark fantasy to a 15-y.o. fanfic level of writing is apalling. Inquisitor marysue was bad enough but the whole ending and dreadfwilf shit is just another level of cringe.
- I want to exterminate human race so elves could prosper again.
- CAN WE SOLVE IT WITH THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP?
- No.
- BUT WE WUZ FRIENDSIES STOP BEING GENICIDAL AND LETS CELEBRATE LGBTQUSADY+ PARADISE TOGETHA.

and it goes worse and worse

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
At this point all I want it for it to be released just to enjoy Baldur's Gate 3 and DADW comparisons, accompained with sweetest and beggest shadenfreude in a decade

9ted6

Educated
The whole degradation from somewhat decent dark fantasy to a 15-y.o. fanfic level of writing is apalling. Inquisitor marysue was bad enough but the whole ending and dreadfwilf shit is just another level of cringe.
- I want to exterminate human race so elves could prosper again.
- CAN WE SOLVE IT WITH THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP?
- No.
- BUT WE WUZ FRIENDSIES STOP BEING GENICIDAL AND LETS CELEBRATE LGBTQUSADY+ PARADISE TOGETHA.

and it goes worse and worse
The epic subversions of expectations and plot twists on display, best Bioware villain of ever all time.
I want elves to prosper so that's why me and my pals made them and most of the world so we could enslave them and laugh about it but now I like them I guess so me and Mythal are gonna make a religion to trick all the humans into serving us because that furthers my plans I guess then I'm gonna kill Mythal because I don't like her now then I'm gonna kill all the humans then I'm gonna make elves I created and hated and thought were animals great again because I like them now.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
So far the Descent feels more enjoyable than everything that came before it. A dungeon-crawl is a refreshing change of pace from the large and mostly empty areas of the main game. Of course, the insane demon-clowns that work at Biowhore obsessively shoved in the pointless and retarded war table "missions", as well as a bunch of inane new collections. Gather twenty mugs! Fifty ancient gears! Fuck you.

I'm still in the middle of this, I'll probably hate it by the time I'm done.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Ok, so we made it to the lowest parts of the underworld, found yet another group of weird ancient dwarves, and killed a sentient lyrium mine... or its heart that it didn't really need, whatever. We *finally* got our very first dwarven mage (finally!), because all the rules must be broken, and... why did it look like there was light and fresh air/clouds coming from the center of the Earth? Is there a second sun inside of Thedas? Is that the molten core of the world? What?

Overall, the lore-rape wasn't as bad as I had expected. At least something new was introduced... kind of. The dungeon crawl was also a nice change of pace.

:3.5/5:

9ted6

Educated
The lore rape comes in Trespasser, the post-base-game-ending-but-real-game-ending DLC.
This. Jaws and Descent shit on the lore a little, add in a few dumb things, but Trespasser just about rewrites the entire setting in some very stupid ways.

You'll know it when it happens, but it's kinda telling what Bioware is going through with their relativism when

the daelish, who are very clearly understood as a way to talk about native americans, are then seen in Trespasser as people who are just "making shit up" about their past. Like their supposed trials and tribulations are merely "made up" and therefore, quite literally, a fabrication, or even a lie. The lore rape then goes to an extent that it ends up shitting on stuff Bioware should be agreeing with. Peak first world, white people fantasy.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Played through half of the Tresspasser. So far, it's fairly enjoyable. Better than the main game, for lacking retarded collections and fetch-quests, if nothing else. A secret Qunary plot to blow up yet another Mome in the middle of a super-important council... makes sense, tbh. But of course, tis merely a rogue splinter faction led by an insane fanatic... the REAL Qunarians would NEVER do something like this, EVER! That is totally not how they've been portrayed throughout the series!! Oh, and Solas is secretly awakening ancient elves (why do they still exist?) for some reason, and somehow his paths have crossed with the goat-men collective.
Can't wait for the delicious lore-rape I was promised. Plz no spoilerinos, I am so close!! :bounce:

Falksi

Arcane
Damn, to say I sunk 80-odd hours into finishing this piece of shit, it's very telling that I can barely remember anything about it other than it being full to the brim of faggots who want to fuck their own sex at every turn.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I hate played this game 2 years ago and even right after completing it I could only remember two side quests, it was some dude looking for a rare species of bug or something in the Frostback Basin (or wherever Jaws of Hakkon) and the beginning of the game where you prove someone wrong about closing rifts. Usually I can retrace every step I made in a game after finishing it.

Screenshot_20231129_041039_Steam.jpg

The only part I can actively say I liked was when Corypheus said that the Golden City was empty, because it opened up a mystery that I foolishly expected to be expanded upon.

The dialogue was terrible, it sounded like a first draft. The story was shit as a whole, and retcons galore. The combat was mind-numbing HP sponge bullshit. The companions were faggots or boring. Cutscenes were laughably bad (just go watch any cutscenes from the Orlais ball).

There's not a single aspect of this game that's anywhere near good. It was so insulting to my senses that I had to force myself through. I had to take 5 months off of gaming after finishing it, longer than my break after finishing witcher 3.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
And so, after 9 years 130 hours, I finally completed Dragon Age: Inquisition. Was it worth it?

No. But at least I've now finished what I started. That'll teach me to start things.

So the elven gods were just powerful mages who ruled their own empire, and Solas locked them away somewhere and created the Veil. He is now going to destroy the Veil at the cost of human civilization collapsing. And the Qunari were... tricked by him into attacking the Inquisition, so that they could be defeated? Seems like bs, tbh. Why would he do this in the middle of the council deciding the Inquisition's fate? For dramatic effect?

Honestly, I've seen worse lore-rape than this. Probably. And at least I got to kill Iron Bullshit.

Overall, this was better than the main campaign, but worse than the Descent. I would have rated this higher, but the final part was an onslaught of damage sponge bosses (yet another fucking dragon), and waves upon waves of the same Qunari we've been fighting the whole campaign. And constantly walking through portals to tiny new areas. Enough with the portals.

:3/5:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The only part I can actively say I liked was when Corypheus said that the Golden City was empty, because it opened up a mystery that I foolishly expected to be expanded upon.

IMO the whole golden city being empty thing is the single most interesting piece of lore in the entire series. The Joan of Arc pseudo catholicism isn't going to win any awards for creativity, but it's still 100000% percent better than Solas and the elves.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I just realized that the reason Iron Bullshit was calling us "boss" the whole game is because he was actually calling us "bas", i.e. the qunarian term for "thing/non-person". The excuse for why he joins the Inquisition in the main game is so pathetic, it almost hurts.

"Hello, I am a spy for the most hostile enemy faction in the known world. I publicly claim to be a defector, but that's a ruse, I'm still a spy for them. May I join your organization based on the religion we eagerly want to wipe out, so that I can spy on you? Don't worry, I'll make sure all my spy reports go through Leliana first, and will throw in some tidbits of information from my masters."

Was there an option to never recruit this giant turd that I missed, or does the game force you to recruit him?

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Also, the main game was hinting at a parallel between Cory's red lyrium dragon and the dragon gods of Neverwinter... basically, it's like someone said earlier itt: the "old gods" are phylacteries for the Evanuris.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom