Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Direwolf

Arcane
lol some posters on the Codex.How is ESO looking like RIFT,granted I only played the beta 3-4 years ago ,but I'm sure it had more colours than green and brown.

Yeah, Rift did have more colours than green and brown, but it is the same terrible Gamebryo engine.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Nah, scrollocaust implies that it's deliberate and malicious, the monicker should suggest a disaster that could have been averted by competent developers.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I'm enjoying it, but as a story-driven mostly singleplayer game. I just wish there was more depth to quests. They're even more shallow than in Skyrim. It's basically a game of 'follow the quest arrow'. There are a lot of dungeons that are basically unmarked quests and they're fun for the most part, but they're not exactly complex either. If they could add a few quests that require thinking (I'm thinking along the lines of the investigation quests in The Secret World) it could be a lot of fun.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
MMORPGs are like that.
I don't think it's fair to expect overwhelming quality from every quest from start to finish, but surely a few of them stands out. Quantity can't match quality, ever.
You can try pretending it can be done, but when you have to populate novice areas with meaningful, in-depth quest as a writer, how would you feel when you have to repeat that feat again in level 6-10 zones and onwards? Running out of ideas yet? Too bad. You just used that epic idea, can't repeat it again, sorry.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Fair enough, but each town/area has a quest line running through it. I don't think it would be unfair to expect at least one of the quests in each quest line to be a bit more in-depth than just following the quest compass and pressing 'e' where appropriate.

RK47

Patron
I think someone mentioned that a quest decision is remembered for the next sequence, but really if you play MMO and expect quality questing, you're dead wrong - cause majority of its target market doesn't give a fuck and just wants Gold, EXP and Sweet, sweet loot.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
In a normal MMO I would agree, but ESO seems very focused on quests and story content instead of the standard MMO mechanics. If anyone who plays this doesn't really give a fuck about questing or the story, then there's little reason for them to keep playing the game.

RK47

Patron
Says you, but there's Realm vs Realm down there waiting for end-gamers.
The Emperor cannot be level 12.
People want to get out there and fight within the first month and stories get in their way.
What you claim doesn't really hold any water unless by paying attention to the dialogue and correctly answering the question at the end of the dialogue gives +1 HP.
Trust me.
This is simply human nature at work.

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
I'm having fun with the game. No the best game evah, lots of important TES game features missing (no crime/steal system, no thives guild, no Brotherhood, etc.), but it's promised to be added in the future patches.

Good things:
+ I like the character system, depsite having 4 strict classes there is still so much freedom and skillpoints available, that I'm OK with that. If you think and plan, evey base class can fulfill most of the traditional MMORPG roles, in different ways
+ Crafting gear is a viable option! In MMO! Love it! Crafting system is nice too.
+ You have to make hard decisions (at least in the low/mid levels) if you want to put skillpoints in various crafting skills, active abilities or passives
+ You have to managed your inventory, it's really easy to fill iy out completly in 10 minutes after leaving town if you collect everything that it's not nailed down
+ Graphics are nice
+ Gear is breaks on death
+ The best thing I kept for the last bullet: Exploration is cool and rewarding! It's cool to just wander around, find quests/treasures/special crafting stations (allow to craft you an armor set if you meet crafting skill requirements)/skill boosters/etc. It's really hard to find everything even if you check every corner in the area. In the 1-15 level area on my own I manged to find 11/16 skyshards (finding each 3 of them gives you one skill point) and do 60/69 quests. Exploration is the best part of TESO, if you are exploration-fag, you'll like the game.
+ Solo content is not trivial. I actually manage to die in public dungeons, boss fights in the main quest and some longer quest chains are quite hard! Yesterday I needed 5 attempts to win boss fight in level 20 main quest solo instance. That's cool! Can't remember when last time I was sweating to win in MMORPG solo content. If you do not block/dodge special attacks you will sorry. Trying to facetank boss special attacks will kill you or bring you to the minimal level of HP.

Mixed feelings:
* So far C&C in quests is pretty much cosmetical. Quest chains are OK as for MMO, definitely above standard. As for TES cRPG - nothing too impressive.

Downsides:
- A lot of bugs (broken quests, rollbacks, some passive skills do nothing, etc.). It's the first time I play MMO at launch, so it may be the norm, dunno.
- Public dungeons have weak design. All have very similar pattern - in fact it's just curved corridor to the boss lair, guaranteed skyshard and shurtcut to leave the dungeon. In fact the corridor part is harder than the boss, since when you move through the dungeon alone you have to fight 3-6 group of mobs and the larger ones are quite hard if your build is not CC/AoE oriented. My Assassin Nightblade has to be on toes. And that's cool. But than the boss room... 8-15 people camping on boss respawn spot. When boss respawns, he dies in 2-3 seconds because of concentrated attacks. Don't know if the bosses in PD have any interesting mechanis, they die too fast to notice, lol. In fact it's hard to score a hit if you do not use an instant attack - boss is dead before you are able to hit him. It's just stupid. People farm PD bosses cause he very often drops blue item and filled soul gem is guaranteed I think. Stupid design!
- Full map of area/dungeon are visible when you enter it. Of course point of interest are not marked, but I'd prefer to reveal the map as I move through the area
- Traditional instanced group dungeons... So far I have visited one, design was better than public dungeons, but nothing really memorable. I fully agree with the movie posted a few posts ago. Chests are looted by the frist person which opens them, no loot rolls. Bosses drop junk most of the time. Don't understand why it's designed like that. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Heaven for trolls/l00t N1Nj4z.

My summary: if you are casual player (but not a retard, you have to accept some challange but on the other hand it's not Dark Souls) who likes exploring regular solo questing areas, completing achivements for doing all the quests, finding secrets, have fun with crafting your own gear then TESO is something to consider.
If you like group dungeon crawling then so far it's not the game for you. This may be different in end game content, but I suspect that philosophy of the dungeon design is the same, from the hardcore raider it's probably shit.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Which standard MMO mechanics are missing except raids?

Not missing, just not being focused on. It doesn't actually feel like I'm playing an MMO at all. It feels like I'm playing an Elder Scrolls game with a mod for online play. Without level scaling, of course. So I guess pretty much this:

My summary: if you are casual player (but not a retard, you have to accept some challange but on the other hand it's not Dark Souls) who likes exploring regular solo questing areas, completing achivements for doing all the quests, finding secrets, have fun with crafting your own gear then TESO is something to consider.

It's decent for a casual MMO and the kind of MMO I've been looking for for a while. I love MMOs that focus so heavily on questing and exploration. It's pretty much what I had hoped GW2 was going to be, but GW2 doesn't come close to this game, content-wise. GW2 had very few actual quests, the dynamic events completely sucked and the world was bland and uninteresting, meaning the only reason to explore was to collect little dots on your map.

I'll also say the game does get quite difficult. I'm a level 11 Khajiit nightblade now, focusing on dual-wielding and I'm having a tough time with a lot of quests. Mostly I do fine if I go up against solo enemies, but groups of enemies fuck me up good. It might be because I'm struggling to stay on top with my gear. I never seem to be able to afford everything I need and most quests give me either staffs, light armor or heavy armor. I haven't received medium armor or a one handed weapon as a quest reward in quite a while.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
You should put whatever armour you got when low level ,there is no drawback and you will unlock the skill trees faster to have more options.Later on when you get the specific passives that give bonuses for every piece is better to focus on one type for sure.As I see it there is not a big difference if you are all white items.

Also the game feels more like MMO than GW2,grouping is very natural when you go to the zone specific public dungeon.There is one in every zone and the mobs and bosses there are in big packs and harder,can't be soled.Need loot-go there and farm like crazy ,after one run I had full inventory of greens and blues.In GW2 I leveled to 80 without grouping even once and the last quest is mandatory dungeon.Cool but there is nobody to run it with ,because it's hour and a half story run and everybody is farming fractals or shorter easier dungeons.Also fuck the shitty design "everybody is DPS",what a waste of the great combat engine.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
you're a fucking faggot, all MMORPGs have not only loot ninjaing but sport full get-shit-on drop everything you wear on death mode. themepark faggots with their casual bullshit-sold-as-MMORPG need not apply to this hardcore world of manly hardcore gamers.

Congratulations, you make no sense what so ever.

Did you forget to take your meds again?

If I was the head of the leading clan in one of these games, the first thing I'd do is appoint some level 12 guy to be emperor on the basis that he only keeps it if he refrains from levelling or gearing up in any kind of reasonable manner, and acts like a twerp whenever possible. Just so I could have fun playing Tywin Lannister, with my own personal Joffrey:)

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
So now that this has been out for a few days, any word on when it's going free2play? It's been a while since Skyrim and I'm hankering for some more Elder Scrolls, but I don't want to pay for a half-assed MMO.
TESOvius hasn't blown up yet (gotta have some kind of nickname similar to TORtanic).

I think you'd like it, reminds me of neverwinter without cryptics/the chinks shitty production values pulled from beelzebubs arse.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
But than the boss room... 8-15 people camping on boss respawn spot. When boss respawns, he dies in 2-3 seconds because of concentrated attacks. Don't know if the bosses in PD have any interesting mechanis, they die too fast to notice, lol. In fact it's hard to score a hit if you do not use an instant attack - boss is dead before you are able to hit him. It's just stupid. People farm PD bosses cause he very often drops blue item and filled soul gem is guaranteed I think. Stupid design!

Some people seem to camp bosses for the XP. Earlier I was in a dungeon where people were standing around the boss, swinging away. I went back past on my way out about two or three minutes later and noticed they hadn't moved and were still flailing away. Likely people who left the game running with a button bound to attack pressed down by something.

They're definitely going to have to do something about the way bosses spawn in public dungeons. Sometimes they're dead so fast you couldn't even get an instant attack in to tag him for the completion of the dungeon.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

If I was the head of the leading clan in one of these games, the first thing I'd do is appoint some level 12 guy to be emperor on the basis that he only keeps it if he refrains from levelling or gearing up in any kind of reasonable manner, and acts like a twerp whenever possible. Just so I could have fun playing Tywin Lannister, with my own personal Joffrey:)

Emperor has nothing to do with clans or guilds, it's simply the person with the most kill/destroy points. The emperor on the biggest EU campaign is a 20-hours-a-day-since-Early-Access streamer whose twitch community follows him around in a massive zerg and screams "All Hail the Emperor" in general chat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom