Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Details

SerratedBiz

Arcane
hakuroshi said:
visions said:
Before that used the shack in Seyda Neen. Unlike Draq, I don't see anything psychotic in killing a random npc however.

Do you as well see nothing psyhotic in killing random people on the streets in real life?
It's a matter of feeling about the game world.

:retarded:

Gord

Arcane
DraQ said:
I've always found people doing this kind of stuff in Morrowind rather creepy. There is nothing wrong to take over a house of someone you've killed, but to kill an NPC just because you want a house is downright psychotic and I don't think so many people had the same bright idea to roleplay LARP complete psychos.

Absolutely, but judging from some youtube videos this seems to be a quite common behaviour.
Guess some people get a kick from playing the ultimate (stupid evil) badass who's running around slaughtering everyone (only pausing to do the quest and getting the reward before killing the questgiver).

Games should introduce realistic punishment for such action. Like randomly placed contract killers/bounty hunters sniping the player from afar, after the second group of law-enforcers has been wiped out by the player.

DraQ

Arcane
SerratedBiz said:
hakuroshi said:
visions said:
Before that used the shack in Seyda Neen. Unlike Draq, I don't see anything psychotic in killing a random npc however.

Do you as well see nothing psyhotic in killing random people on the streets in real life?
It's a matter of feeling about the game world.

Since using any sort of house in Morrowind is a matter of player's psychological need, rather than anything dictated by the mechanics (because you can just make a ginormous loot pillar in the middle of Balmora, for all the game cares), it's just fucking baffling when someone goes all psycho in order to LARP non-psycho. It's on the level of killing a legionnaire in oblivious, then wearing his armour while LARPing law enforcer.

For the same reasons I'd rather not take over a house with ultimate storage container in form of a corpse sprawled in the middle of the living room.

I've killed NPCs and took over their houses myself, but the act of killing has always been either a part of a quest, or motivated by actual in-game information, for example:
Vorar Helas takes part in drug smuggling operation using slaves as living containers, gutting them to retrieve the cargo. It would be an awful shame if he accidentally fell on a sword a dozen or so times. Hey look! He did and a cramped, but conveniently located house is now vacant.

And yeah, games should make life of crime harder, but this would need actually good combat and character development, to allow even powerful character to be easily outnumbered or otherwise screwed.

DraQ said:
Vorar Helas takes part in drug smuggling operation using slaves as living containers, gutting them to retrieve the cargo. It would be an awful shame if he accidentally fell on a sword a dozen or so times. Hey look! He did and a cramped, but conveniently located house is now vacant.

You know you only bothered killing him because he was using scalies and furries as slaves, which is quite legal in morrowind. Your racially motivated murder is a hate crime, don't try to justify your psycho actions.

DraQ

Arcane
CrunchyHemorrhoids said:
DraQ said:

You know you only bothered killing him because he was using scalies and furries as slaves, which is quite legal in morrowind. Your racially motivated murder is a hate crime, don't try to justify your psycho actions.
I bet your crunchy haemorrhoids cause you a lot of butthurt.
:smug:

I always just cleaned up Addamasartus outside Seyda Neen and used it. Thanks to furniture mods I had whatever I needed to furnish it (a bed, storage, paintings, lighting etc), and if I was Telvanni I'd leave the slaves penned where they were and throw down a banner proclaiming my Great House affiliation nearby the cave entrance.

A great big fuck you to those trying to temper our glorious expansion outward!

ijeKT.png

House Telvanni, bitches!

DraQ said:
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
I always just cleaned up Addamasartus outside Seyda Neen and used it.
Um, rats?

Besides, a true Telvanni magelord can grow himself a tower and doesn't need a damp, vermin-infested cave near some impoverished hole of a village.

Not really a mage-lord when you're starting out, are you? For a long time you're little more than a wannabe hanger-on they humor and expect to die. The cave looks pretty nice when kitted out with stuff, and plenty of companions exist (Dwemer constructs, trained slaves) that can be used to get rid of anything that respawns.

As for Seyda Neen, I typically play with 'Seyda Neen Docks and Haldenshore' activated, so it's a bit more bustling.

Of course when the stronghold gets set up it's time to move.

DraQ

Arcane
There is one detail I love about the in-game stronghold, BTW:

It has this big open platform on top, and is located within reach of ashstorms. It seems like a poor idea until you notice that it's oriented in such way that the door leading inside from the platform is shielded and the entrance structure itself shields the platform, so you can stand there and watch ash billowing overhead and on both sides without being actually bothered by the weather.

I love such nice little details.
:salute:

Bulba

Learned
Gord said:
DraQ said:
I've always found people doing this kind of stuff in Morrowind rather creepy. There is nothing wrong to take over a house of someone you've killed, but to kill an NPC just because you want a house is downright psychotic and I don't think so many people had the same bright idea to roleplay LARP complete psychos.

Absolutely, but judging from some youtube videos this seems to be a quite common behaviour.
Guess some people get a kick from playing the ultimate (stupid evil) badass who's running around slaughtering everyone (only pausing to do the quest and getting the reward before killing the questgiver).

Games should introduce realistic punishment for such action. Like randomly placed contract killers/bounty hunters sniping the player from afar, after the second group of law-enforcers has been wiped out by the player.

It would only give another reason to slaughter innocent npcs, since bounty hunters would have quality equipment that you might want to posses

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
You could just taunt NPCs into attacking you, that makes it legit. :smug:

I once did that with King Helseth in Tribunal, it was hilarious speaking to Barenziah afterwards who went all "Oh noes, somebody killed my son!".

Gord

Arcane
Bulba said:
It would only give another reason to slaughter innocent npcs, since bounty hunters would have quality equipment that you might want to posses

Well, it would need the world to react logically. Take FO3. You get ambushed by Regulators, which is already a step in the right direction. The regulators are pussies however and you can kill them easily. Now why should they send in team after team, just to get slaughtered?

No, in a realistic setting the authorities (if those exist, which they don't in FO3) would either attack in large numbers, hire some really skilled bounty hunters or just try to snipe the player from afar after a while.
All those options would and should give the player only a very slim chance of survival.

DraQ

Arcane
Bulba said:
Gord said:
DraQ said:

Not if done right.

First, the game shouldn't include ways of slaughtering arbitrary NPCs with no risk of detection.

Second, the game should have indirect, delayed detection mechanics in addition to direct witnessing via line-of-sight, it can be abstracted if necessary, but player should never be sure that the crime won't be traced to him and the game should account for possible clues, like player living in victim's house or player wearing a set of rare (personalized) armour previously belonging to a murdered and looted NPC.

Third, being wanted should compromise most of player's business in populated areas.

Fourth, numbers should be more important than levels and gear in combat, so getting swarmed even by low level, poorly equipped guards will get you killed.

Fifth, if on a trail, law enforcement and agents of in-game powers should actively hunt the player, reducing his opportunity to recuperate, replenish resources and removing any element of surprise he may use in combat, while using surprise against him (assassins, snipers and so on).

Sixth, the game should feature a Daggerfall-like stamina system requiring characters to sleep in order to replenish it. An unconscious character can be killed of apprehended without any resistance.

Seventh, the game should use hierarchical law enforcement, where petty crimes are only reported in the immediate area and quickly forgotten, but multiple severe crimes can very well make you hunted wherever you go forever.

Eighth, legal system should include permanent negative consequences instead of allowing everything to be fine again after you pay the fine or do the time.

TripJack

Hedonist
jesus christ you guys actually used houses in morrowind you fucking larpers get out of here

Isn't Caius' house enough for you sickos?

poetic codex said:
Found a small cottage belonging to an old woman living alone in the middle of nowhere, I killed her and was able to sleep in her bed.

When I first read this part of the quote, I didn't realize the person was talking about a game, and so I read it like a real life psycho talking about a real murder and it creeped me out. :/ I mean, I'm not the kind of person to say video games cause violence, but I believe they sure as hell do de-sensitize us on some level.

Just like movies, comics, the news, magazines, talking to people on the street, etc etc etc.

Bulba said:
Gord said:

Make them something you'd really want to avoid until you're a demigod (by then, their equipment wouldn't be as useful anyway), instead of walking treasure chests you can take like a generic enemy group.

or you could just be a total ass about it and make the bounty hunters be hired wizards.

fuck yeah, more woolen robes, you can never have too many woolen robes

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom