Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The evolution of the RPG genre

Angthoron

Arcane
With so much controversy going around about the true definition of the RPG genre, I have decided to take a moment and write a comprehensive history of the evolution of the RPGs to end the dispute once and for all. Without further ado, please enjoy and become wise through me.

1. The First RPGs
The first RPGs were developed by the military, developed as early as the 19th century, and it was slowly improved over time. The Soviets excelled at the RPG manufacturing, according to the Wikipedia, and this may explain the tendency of the former Eastern Bloc nations to make RPGs. Anyway, after nearly a hundred years of being used nearly exclusively by the military, the RPGs finally broke through to the private market.

2. The Second RPGs
The second RPGs came out on cassettes, but were soon replaced by the massive floppy RPGs. The first series of floppy RPGs were over 5 inch in size, but just to prove that size doesn’t matter, they essentially flopped in sales. Not much can be said about the RPGs of this era other than very poor graphics, boring gameplay and voiceovers and sound effects consisting of the computer beeps. This was basically the dark ages of the RPG.

3. The Third RPGs
The third RPGs were on 3-inch floppies, and while they were still shitty, they became less shitty with time. Graphics improved a bit, and the games became slightly more tolerable to the ear. The gameplay was still shit though, massively dominated by the turn-based mechanics so common to the games of the time due to hardware back then being unable to process games in real time. I guess they made best use of the hardware of the time but that’s not saying much.

4. The Fourth (almost modern) RPGs
The fourth RPGs started when CDs appeared. The CDs were able to store more information inside their shiny surfaces and so much better graphics and stories could be put onto them. The hardware developed too and now there could be real time play at last even if it was still with pause. The games would still mostly look like piss though because they were for some reason two-dimensional, but developers like Bethesda quickly understood the importance of three dimensions and published Oblivion 3: The Elder Scrolls, which would set precedence to the future of the computer gaming.

5. The Modern RPGs
The modern RPGs have everything modern. From BioWare to Bethesda to LionHead Studios, the developers everywhere have understood the importance of the third dimension and real time (fourth dimension?) and are working hard to make these aspects to be the core aspects of this aged genre. Recent developments, such as streamlining of player statistics, and the introduction of achievements, have brought the decadent RPG genre closer to the more progressive genres such as the shooter and the FPS. Big efforts have been made for self-reference and intertextuality as well, easily detectable by the genre veterans. For instance BioWare game Mass Effect introduces to the arsenal a weapon that can best be described as a futuristic RPG. Is this the future of the RPG? We will find out!

Peace bros, RPG expert signing out.

Angthoron

Arcane
roll-a-die said:
Allow me to predict the majority of peoples reaction here.
Codex said:
L0L D0NGS, I CAN COUNT TO POTATO!

:lol:

What, I've just compiled BioWare statements and reacted a little quicker than the apologist professional journalists by making a retrospective. Took all of five minutes.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It was funny when you started with rocket propelled grenade launchers. It became lame after that. You should've stuck with that concept and expanded on it, maybe leading over to describing PC RPGs as virtual weapons or making direct comparisons between how the weapon RPGs work and how game RPG mechanics work. Kinda like "the stat systems of RPGs are very similar to the firing mechanism of an RPG".

Wasted potential. I give you 3/10.

Angthoron

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Wasted potential. I give you 3/10.
I thought it would be riding a gimmick too much. The idea was to open with a lulz and then just dump retardo statements of the Xbawx generation.

Wasn't really thinking it would all be funny anyway, didn't put enough any effort into it. Maybe next time I'll go for a better satire. It's a bit difficult though when the things you're supposed to make fun of are already self-parodies.

Glyphwright

Bad concept, poor execution, horrible lack of avatar.

0/10

Angthoron

Arcane
How would Avatar make it better?

Luigi

Barely Literate
Man, I am really tempted to write a "what is an rpg" article with history, fleeting scale, bling bling. It would be a master reference and every time a laptop guy has stats, we would refer to it for guidance.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
0/10

The fact that it started off well only to descend into retardo (yours, not someone else's) only makes me even more bitter.

Angthoron

Arcane
I actually tried to continue with the RPG history in the key of weaponry, but it really loses steam pretty soon (although it does entertain for more than one paragraph).

Suppose it would've really been best if it was a post on the source of the RPG genre rather than an overview.

Anyway, the OP was my way of going BLOBERT/KC for a bit. All the recent BioWare quotes and scouting the web for Dragon Age screenshots have hurt my psyche in more ways than just one.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Angthoron said:
3. The Third RPGs
The third RPGs were on 3-inch floppies, and while they were still shitty, they became less shitty with time. Graphics improved a bit, and the games became slightly more tolerable to the ear. The gameplay was still shit though, massively dominated by the turn-based mechanics so common to the games of the time due to hardware back then being unable to process games in real time. I guess they made best use of the hardware of the time but that’s not saying much.

People still believe this to be true?

Hobo Elf said:
Angthoron said:
3. The Third RPGs

Bioware said it. It must therefore be true.

Angthoron

Arcane
Hobo Elf said:
Angthoron said:
3. The Third RPGs

Think there was something about it in Best Thread a while ago. People still believe that alright.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I thought it was a pretty amusing concept. Make it three or four times as long and get it published somewhere.

Bulba

Learned
Xor said:
I thought it was a pretty amusing concept. Make it three or four times as long and get it published somewhere.

why bother? just use a larger print and double spacing.

this article makes me feel marsian. :?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom