Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info The Fall gets talking skills

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fall: Last Days of Gaia; Silver Style

Per <A href="http://www.silver-style.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1430">this thread</a>, <b>Cartsen Strehse</b> has decided to impliment a <i>diplomacy skill</i> in <A href="http://www.the-fall.com/">The Fall</a>. Here's what the guy says:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>OK, just want to let you know that I decided that we will implement a speech skill on top of the charisma attribute.
<br>
<br>
The most important reason for this decision is that it seems like you really want it this way. If you tell me you would have more fun with the game if you have a speech skill in it, this is the strongest argument.
<br>
<br>
Second reason is that it's easier to raise your ability in talking to people with a skill as with an attribute.
<br>
<br>
So, thanks to everybody who pushed me to change the rules that way. You were right. I'm convinced of this idea. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I think just having the skill isn't enough as <A href="Http://nwn.bioware.com">Neverwinter Nights</a> and <A href="Http://lionheart.blackisle.com">Lionheart</a> proved. They have to be really, really useful as well.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <A href="http://www.duckandcover.net">Duck and Cover</a>

triCritical

Erudite
Well that and Charisma and speech aren't necessarily the same thing. To me this is pretty damn obvious. I was kind of hoping that Fallout would break the mold with CRPG's attributing charisma with dialogue. Afterall the most important ability to getting many dialogue options was intelligence not charisma. Afterall, charisma can only take you so far, sometimes it just helps to be a good speaker and smart. Finally, it foces Ken and Barbie into being the best diplomats! This IMO is a sure fire way to make a CRPG suck!

Take Mr. Wolf from Pulp Fiction, I would not consider Harvey Keitel very charismatic in that movie. However, people listened to what he said and he got the job done without ever raising a finger. This to me should be attributed to the speech skill alone.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Alot of problems stem from the fact that some people consider Charisma to just be how good looking one is. There are game systems out there that have Charisma listed as such and instead implement Speech and Leadership skills for the purposes of being able to manipulate NPCs around you. You could be the best talker on the planet, but there are gonna be people who won't even give you the time of day if you're butt ugly. Sad, but true. The reverse is also true. You could be a horrible speaker and be good looking as hell and just because you are, people will listen to you even if just out of awe at your beauty.

Other systems combine the two and say Charisma is looks plus presence. I don't care for that simply because having two completely different, yet dependent on each other, abilities as one is just plain stupid.

I have always used Charisma as looks, giving you bonuses to your speech related skills. It's all a matter of personal choice though and this is just the way I feel it should be handled.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom