Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The game database needs ratings

bhlaab

Erudite
I need to be able to see if any of those generic rpgs from third world countries are worth the time spent illegally downloading them and I need to be able to see it in a single glance!

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Oh, I have an idea :o
MetaCodex - since Metacritics is a worthless piece of shit.

"RPG Codex Game Comments" gets a poll for every game. Somebody posts a news item 1 or 2 months after release so everybody can go and vote. Something like that:

Poll
Good game - worth buying for 50$
Ok game - worth renting for 10$
Dont remove it from inventory - free as in beer
Bad - not worth your time

So we will have a hivemind opinion on certain games. And after that anybody can do something like this:

Galactic Civilizations 2

time spent playing
dont know, more than 20 hours

genre
strategy

comment
one of the best 4x games

(Then you list features, certain features that you found were interesting, for example "sound effects" didnt make the cut because it was not bad but also not noteworthy. The whole thing ofcourse not sorted by importance or what not)

good
+ different ways to win a map
+ great ai, trades well, surrenders, takes goals of whole game into account, does not cheat, counters player anti-ai-tricks like parking a fleet
+ nice ship editor, gives a personal touch, actually useful, parts for custom ships, all inclusive shit: engines, support, sensors, def, offense, hulls, bling bling
+ 3 offence und 3 defence techs in weapons, laser def wont help against missles as effective as missiles def
+ nice map mit 3d view and strategic view, symbols only
+ some nice weaponseffects in a "battle-theater"
+ nice science progression, new tech give weapons new look
+ community creates ships, some pop-cultures stuff but not only that
+ there is a campagn with story and a few good maps with time limit

bad
- ai trades sometimes bad. wont sell master hull design for example even for your whole empire and never sells planets, at all.
- music starts to get on your nerves after like 20 hours
- campaign is sometimes to hard and to slow. on "beginner" the dreadlords are already hard to beat, at least for me. Plus exploration is gone.

bhlaab

Erudite
I think the database needs more info in general.

Something like:

Universe: Post Apocalyptic
Genre: Fantasy
Combat: Realtime w/ Pause
System: D&D 3.5; Class-Based with Full Party Control
Rating: **---
Your Rating: ****-

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Jaime Lannister said:
This is a good idea, also CF appears to be unbanned?
He is on instant death probation.

He asked for his old account back, and said that he'll do 15 days of productive posting, and promises to go away if he can not.

He does not want to be using alts anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom