Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Great Whale Road (historical, turn based, cards, hexes, C&C, management)

Mustawd

I wonder why they had to stop selling the game.

Likely because they can't into business. How hard is it to just close the studio but keep a legal entity to collect any revenues of the game and distribute it to the owners of the studio?

They can just put a statement on Steam saying the game will no longer be supported but people are free to buy it if they'd like to.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Maybe they sold off the assets to someone else and a condition was to stop selling the game?

vonAchdorf

Arcane

Likely because they can't into business. How hard is it to just close the studio but keep a legal entity to collect any revenues of the game and distribute it to the owners of the studio?

They can just put a statement on Steam saying the game will no longer be supported but people are free to buy it if they'd like to.

Likely not worth the hassle if the sales are low.

Mustawd

Steamspy shows Owners: 4,934 ± 2,214, which is not nothing. I don't see that it could hurt to keep it in the store. At worst, what, just respond to Steam requests for how much you wanna put it on sale for?

Maybe they sold off the assets to someone else and a condition was to stop selling the game?

That could be a possibility, yes.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

Steamspy shows Owners: 4,934 ± 2,214, which is not nothing. I don't see that it could hurt to keep it in the store. At worst, what, just respond to Steam requests for how much you wanna put it on sale for?
I mean, you also need to maintain a bank account into which the money from Steam can go, distribute that money according to whatever back-end royalty arrangement you have, handle tax reporting accordingly, etc. It seems like an easier fix than taking it down would be assigning the rights to someone, but who knows?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

It's not that simple. As long as they collect revenues they must file corporate returns (both in Spain and the United States), pay an accountant, probably in both countries, pay corporate taxes in both countries and dividend taxes in Spain, handle all the admin stuff, etc. If they sell a few hundred bucks a month, it's a lot more hassle to stay in business and collect revenues.

Mustawd

I mean, you also need to maintain a bank account into which the money from Steam can go, distribute that money according to whatever back-end royalty arrangement you have, handle tax reporting accordingly, etc. It seems like an easier fix than taking it down would be assigning the rights to someone, but who knows?

No, that's a valid point. You probably end up spending more time managing that than it's worth.

It's not that simple. As long as they collect revenues they must file corporate returns (both in Spain and the United States), pay an accountant, probably in both countries, pay corporate and dividend taxes in both countries, handle all the admin stuff, etc. If they sell a few hundred bucks a month, it's a lot more hassle to stay in business and collect revenues.

I sometimes forget not everyone is an accountant. Good points.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It's not that simple. As long as they collect revenues they must file corporate returns (both in Spain and the United States), pay an accountant, probably in both countries, pay corporate taxes in both countries and dividend taxes in Spain, handle all the admin stuff, etc. If they sell a few hundred bucks a month, it's a lot more hassle to stay in business and collect revenues.

Don't you just have to submit a W-8BEN if you don't have any business / residence in the US?

I think it's still too much of a hassle if the expected sales are low - and maybe they also don't really like how the game turned out.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

Don't you just have to submit a W-8BEN if you don't have any business / residence in the US?
If you're taking money from the good people of the United States, you have to file and pay taxes on that income, regardless of your residence status, unless your country has a tax treaty with the US, in which case file only.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom