Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Greatest Gaming Moment

Master

Arbiter
First time you exit the bunker in Far Cry. This still floors me.

First dude you kill in Max Payne 2(in the hospital) he knocks over a shelf with some boxes and bottles. Amazing stuff!

First time i torn a replica soldier in half with a shotgun in FEAR.

Trying to think of some RPG moments but nothing comes to mind.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
The most obvious one that springs to mind is Vault 11 in Fallout: New Vegas. First, from just wandering around trying to figure out what happened, then finding the journal/speech of Katherine Stone that gives you the last piece of the puzzle, going into the chamber under the desk, and then finally getting through that...
And finding out they were never going to be killed at all, but instead set free. And so the first log you found finally makes sense, in a horrifying way.

A shining example...
If you never fully explored the place and just did the minimum required to complete the quest that sent you there, reinstall F:NV right now and go finish that shit immediately.

I'd also throw in another vote for Stalker, but for the first time you get caught in a blowout, especially if you happen to be loaded down and in the middle of nowhere at the time. Running for cover as the sky turns red and the ground shakes and groans... It varies a bit depending on what game and which mods you have, but I liked the ones with the warning klaxon. It's surprisingly hard to find a decent video of them.

I'm sure there's a bunch of other random shit that's come up throughout the years, but those are the most memorable for me.

Silva

Arcane
That Stalker Misery blowout. :salute:

I have another from Misery: getting ambushed at night by a pack of dogs and desperately climbing that big tree over the chemical anomaly. Then waiting for the dogs go away and realizing the sun is rising in the horizon, the god rays in my eyes, and the dread but beautiful soundscape of the nature around.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
One of the greatest gaming moments for me was playing the C64 version of Neuromancer in 1988 when it was first released and realizing that I needed to use the Zen chips plugged into my skull to recover from those nasty psychic attacks from the ICE AI protecting those corporate databases in cyberspace. Watching them fall one right after another after I figured it out was a true joy in gaming for me.

Egosphere

Arcane
Seeing Angelwatch in Thief II for the first time

Calling the Enclave in Fallout 2

The Francis' folly level in Tomb Raider 1

wyes gull

Savant
Finding out it actually loaded on the Spectrum (choose any)
Mr.X dies in slo-mo (SoR2)
First jump into a Teladi cruiser (X:BtF)
Mothership launch (Homeworld)
Lagi flies for the first time and the music stops (PD Zwei)
Opening it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
b121217cfe29ec8d899f2043310a329931567193

Shinji

Savant
In Chrono Cross, when you're teleported to the alternate dimension, after you leave Opassa Beach you hear this song:

I miss Squaresoft.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Interrogating the dead gods on the alien world where Pug was imprisoned in BaK.
My big bloody hero Avatar finding out he had destroyed a land, commited genocide and stolen a species holiest treasure in the False Prophet.
Crashing Killorn Keep in Labyrinth of Worlds, I mean almost every world had a great moment really.
First time robbing the mint in Britain in the Black Gate, I didn't even need the money.
Finding out that Serpent Isle was the lands of Danger and Despair.
Loads of moments in Soul Reaver 2.
Arcanum, the Molochean Hand, the Derian Ka, Arronax' reveal, the dead speech, all tied together and foreshadowed to buggery. Masterful storytelling.
Shooting a bloke in the dick in Soldier of Fortune and watching his reaction.
Braining a Bloodthirster in Dawn of War.
Killing my first Orc in Severance.
The trampolining and moth flight in Rune, don't know why but really sticks with me, along with escaping the erupting volcano climb level.
Finding out what i'd done to Da'akon, Deionarra, Morte, Xachariah, Pharod and all the others. As well as all the innocent shadows i'd created.
The Fall of Max Payne, keeping Mona alive, hard bloody work but rewarding.
I could go on I suppose.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
The first time that you get your hands of a baseball bat in manhunt and pull off the red execution. That sudden flash of gore was such a boner popper for its time.

Ash

Arcane
Yeah I don't think you're getting up after that, and would probably bleed out if not taken to the hospital within an hour or two. Don't hold me to that though.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

Got me good, classic™

images

Got me good, classic™

On par with FO, classic™

Honorable mentions FFVI and Arcanum's intro, Deus Ex "tutorial" intro and outtro, Bloodlines' Jack, Sol's taunt being a middlefinger
sol_badguy_finger_taunt_by_mrskeptical.gif

And the Revan reveal, got me good™

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I think the first time in Battlefield 1942 I played in an online game, loaded up the half-track with my team, then drove it off a cliff. It's life's simple things, you know?

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Another that comes to mind is playing Thief 1's Cragscleft Prison for the first time. I mean, I was very impressed with Bafford and thought Thief was already a great game, but when I finished this mission I knew that game was in its own league entirely, far above everything else I played in terms of immersion.
Great choice. I had played Bafford's manor to death because for a while I only had the demo. Cragscleft made it immediately obvious that purchasing the full game was a great decision. But what was most memorable for me was actually getting lost in the Bonehoard, saying out loud "where am I" and opening the map, only to see it say the exact same thing.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
First steps into dark world (no really, no light or fire) of Ultima Underworlds. "It was released before Doom? Wow!".

Erikolaz

Educated
My first was probably watching my older cousin play 'It Came From the Desert' on his Amiga. Was quite chilling and memorable to me as a kid. Nostalgic about some of the music.

Silva

Arcane
Yeah, my first Voodoo was a thing of beauty. To this day one of the most impressive feats of hardware I've seen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom