Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The guys who brought us Sins of a Solar Empire tell us RTS is dying.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tags: Ironclad Games; Rock Paper Shotgun

“RTSes, to my mind, are very niche now. And that’s unfortunate, because that’s what I love, and that’s what I grew up playing, and that’s what I make. Or made, anyway. I just think the demographics have changed. Company of Heroes may be profitable, and StarCraft II is an anomaly. But most of them aren’t gonna get big numbers.”

“It’s a dying market.”

Apparantly me and my minions missed this delicious piece of news. RTS is dying folks! Throwing walls of units at other walls of units simply doesn't cut it anymore. Woe. Oh well, go read the Rock Paper Shotgun interview with Ironclad's Blair Fraser and then go and lose your sanity by reading the comment section.

Thanks to Raw and Infinitron for pointing out this delicious morsel to me!

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
That must be why Planetary Annihilation got over twice their goal on kickstarter. What a tard.

Clueless fucker said:
I think the MOBA genre has to continue evolving if it’s gonna make it past two generations
People have been playing basically the same Warcraft 3 custom map with little modifications here and there for close to a decade now. It doesn't need to evolve, it seems people who like it are perfectly fine with it as it is. Specially if you consider the ones that try to be different (Demigod, Smite, SMNC, Awesomenauts) don't get nearly as popular as the regular ones (DOTA, LOL).

Let Chris Taylor horrible kickstarter failure be an example and forget mobas exist.

DraQ

Arcane
Maybe someone will reinvent the genre.

With large area sizes and logarithmic time compression instead of slapstick <1min construction/troops training.
And actual 'S' included for change.
:obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom