Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The honour of the dumbfuck medal

Sarvis

Erudite
Exitium said:
Show us some material, heh.

Eventually I will, right now there's precious little besides ideas to show though. :( And I don't want other people borrowing my ideas... hehe.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Why not? The Codex is a place of sharing! You could get a LOT of input on the development of your game were you to talk about it.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Yeah, just tell us what your game ideas are so we can mock you for a moron and Exitium can reinstate the dumbfuck title. ;)

Sarvis

Erudite
dojoteef said:
Yeah, just tell us what your game ideas are so we can mock you for a moron and Exitium can reinstate the dumbfuck title. ;)

*snicker* That's what I was afraid of... ;)

Hajo

Liturgist
Sarvis said:
Exitium said:
You're a game developer? What have you made? Hajo has Simutrans and H-World and such.

Both of those are works in progress. Granted they are significantly further along than mine... but if works in progress count... :shrug:

I've retired from Simutrans end of 2004. I was working on the project 1998-2004, that's a really long time. At some point, I just couldn't go on with it. Simutrans is now continued by the team that I had gathered during the past years. They do a good job and release new versions almost every few days :)

I've started H-World 2001. Developing an RPGs is a rather huge task as I had to learn. The project log is here, it's rather lengthy - Sarvis, this waits for you , too, if you're going to work on your project:
http://h-world.simugraph.com/news.html

Also starting 2000 and never really finished, there was my isometric view for Angband:
http://www.simugraph.com/simutrans/iso_ ... index.html

And this was my first try at a dungeon crawler (you need a Java enabled browser, it's a Java applet - you can play it in your browser, no installation needed):
http://www.simugraph.com/simutrans/appl ... index.html
(It needs a while to get started, even after loading all data. And really you can see the step from it to H-World, and then H-World is so much simpler than commercial games)

Also a Java applet, a Boulder Dash remake:
http://www.simugraph.com/simutrans/appl ... eTest.html

And one more, a Traiblazer remake:
http://www.simugraph.com/simutrans/appl ... aster.html

Some more of my projects died before getting anywhere, or are rather unuseable by anymore but me, like this one:
http://www.simugraph.com/drops/

I've got a full time job as software developer (no games, rather office applications and backend systems), that's why I wrote "amateur" and "hobbyist" - working on games is my hobby, not my profession.

Just be patient Sarvis. Work on your projects, build a portfolio, publish the better stuff, and people will some day recognize your work :)

PS: almost noone really steals ideas. Ideas are cheap and plenty. The net is full of people offering ideas and wondering why noone programs a game with their ideas for them. But every developer has his own ideas, and works on his ideas first. It's very unlikely that an idea is really new. And finally, if you publish first, some countries grant protection. Publishing date is used to find out who developed the idea first. Publishing is protection in this case. And even if your own project fails but someone uses your ideas, your name may be published on a credit list like this:

http://h-world.simugraph.com/thanks.html

or this:

http://www.s-line.de/homepages/simutran ... edits.html

There is even the danger, that if you do not release, but only talk, people at some point will accuse you to produce vaporware only.

Good luck for your project!

Fez

Erudite
I'd say Sarvis just got crushed by Hajo's e-penis.

You need to develop something to get a developer tag. Makes sense no?

Also, Simutrans is "finished" in a sense, it just never stops getting improvements and add ons. :) Seems very popular with the railroad/transport tycoon fans.

Fez

Erudite
As long as the next present is therapy, for both of us.

Sarvis

Erudite
Fez said:
I'd say Sarvis just got crushed by Hajo's e-penis.

Ouch.

You need to develop something to get a developer tag. Makes sense no?

I wasn't aware he had finished anything... heh.

Also, Simutrans is "finished" in a sense, it just never stops getting improvements and add ons. :) Seems very popular with the railroad/transport tycoon fans.

Not finished according to it's website. Playable != finished.

Alright, maybe it's just tiredness and having just woke up... but here's the website for what I've got so far. Try not to use too much of my bandwidth please, asthis is running on my "mom's" computer and my ISP doesn't technically allow us to run our own servers... heh.

Also, name is not final yet.

http://soulstone.webhop.org/

Hajo

Liturgist
Sarvis said:
Also, name is not final yet.
http://soulstone.webhop.org/

I found this somewhere - I don't remember where, I just kept a printout which tacked to the wall behind me.

- An idea is not a design
- A design is not code
- Code is not a demo
- A demo is not a program
- A program is not a product
- A product is not business
- A business is not profits
- And profits are not happiness

You now mastered the first step. You have an idea, and you started to write a design.

The product and business steps are irrelevant for hobby projects. But the last one is important: don't let the work and problems get you down. Happiness has other sources, too.

I don't want to discourage you. Persistence overcomes a lot of problems, a certain amount of stubbornness helps a lot. During the course of the project you'll meet a lot of people telling that your ideas are crap and theirs are better. Listen to them, but make your own decisions. 90% of them have no idea what making game is about. Try to find out the other 10% and think about their advice.

Vault Dweller is making a game. DarkSign is very serious with his project. Dojoteef knows a lot. Balor also has a serious background. I guess there are many more around here who can help if there should be problems.

The Codex is a good brew of players, designers, coders and other people. If games don't grow here, where else should they?

PS: I forgot to say: Hobby project rarely get finished. Teh players send in new ideas all day. Sometimes the developer makes a cut ands says, that's it, and now stop. Other projects just go on and on. Simutrans is an example, it even continues now that I've left the team after so many years.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Sarvis said:
Both of those are works in progress. Granted they are significantly further along than mine... but if works in progress count... :shrug:

Iso-Angband as well, which is technically finished for the last build he built the version of Angband and stuff.

You could always call your development group, "Illiterate!" though.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Hajo said:
I've retired from Simutrans end of 2004. I was working on the project 1998-2004, that's a really long time. At some point, I just couldn't go on with it. Simutrans is now continued by the team that I had gathered during the past years. They do a good job and release new versions almost every few days :)

Use Simultrans in the spacey game!

Sarvis

Erudite
So what? No flames, advice, compliments or developer tags?

Sheesh... what did I even post my ideas for?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Seriously though, Sarvis - nobody wants to read this thread. Just make a post on your game development in the General RPG section and we'll respond accordingly.

Sarvis

Erudite
So do we need to go through all this again? Or can we get my tag changed back now that the Lost thread seems dead?

Quigs

Magister
First time I noticed this thread. Go figure.

Anyway, the tag really doesnt bother me. Would I like it removed? Yeah, sure.

Do I laugh almost every time some TRUE dumbfuck says "Well... your the one with the title" etc. yeah. When someone has zero imagination, it makes me wonder what they did before they found out about rpgs.

Rex? Yeah, he gave me the title. Pepsi Rex, Pissy Rex, and my personal favorite, Fired Rex. Im not gonna lose any sleep over his opinion of me.

Ill just keep posting ignorant rants, and interesting links, in that order.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Sarvis said:
Naked_Lunch said:
When you stop arguing about roads, we'll consider it.

If arguing about roads is the criteria, better sign Saint and Human Shield up too...
Saint owns the place so he can do whatever the fuck he wants, and I'm indifferent about Human Shield. Guess you're just lucky today! :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom