Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The I am a graphics whore thread

Kill jiujitsu?

• DIE TRAITOROUS DOG! :rpgcodex:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ME NEITHER BRO LOLZ :kingcomrade:

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
MMXI said:
Falkner said:
The absolute worst thing is white text on a black background. Gives me headaches. I doubt I'll ever play Ultima IV.
:decline:
If there's a version that does not contain white text on a black background, I'll play it.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Jaesun said:
But Ultima IX is a GOOD cRPG because it looked good at the time.

That's a very good point. It works for strategy games as well.

Master of Magic - 1994

V5RYh.gif

They tried pretty hard with colored squares back then eh

Elemental: War of Magic - 2010, 13 years after fallout. A bigger leap than from daggerfall to oblivion.

wtN4q.jpg

Speaks for itself.

Look at how advanced strategy game graphics are now.
NaRxf.jpg

X-COM UFO Defense - 1994
IwEpB.jpg

Quaint ass cartoony shit that looks like it was made for facebook except not as intuitive

UFO Afterlight - 2007, another 13 year difference
9waH8.jpg

Fuck yeah that's what shooting aliens should look like after a decade of improvements in gaming art and technology. Starship Troopers step the fuck aside.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Crispy said:
Gold Box: Man, I just love looking at my little characters with their cool little weapons! Awww..

It was the same thing with low-def T.V. Or those big-assed cell phones. Same thing with cars, and hair styles and clothes and the way everyone loved huge, hairy bush back then...

*sigh*

I STILL love huge, hairy bush....

As for GoldBox, I actually liked the 3D(!) representation of the world! I mean you pressed a key and it was like looking through the characters eyes and seeing all these places in realtime(almost). That perspective was something new and wondrous...

1eyedking

Erudite
Why the fuck do they insist with cartoony artwork, why? It's OK if it's comic-style, like Fallout and X-COM, but why the fucking cartoons? I just don't get it. Is it because they think it appeals to a wider audience? OK, then, tell me why the fuck is it you're making a tactical turn-based game to begin with?

Shit like this ruins games that could have been passable, such as the new King's Bounty.

"Oh hi, we made this turn-based strategy game about resource management, but hey we thought it would be cool if it looked like a kindergarten abortion so that kids can pick it up and play it instead of Call of Duty: Black Ops. Nuh-uh, nobody likes realistic art styles, no sir, so here you go, we made it look like this so that a trip to Charlie's Chocolate Factory feels like walking into a butcher's shop!"

WE'RE SHOOTING ALIENS GODDAMIT, ALIENS THAT CONDUCT ANAL-PROBING EXPERIMENTS ON PEOPLE. So yeah, making it look like Dexter's Laboratory seems the obvious way to go.
:M

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Jaesun said:
This is what 1eyedking considers "oldschool" games.
The more he posts, the more I'm convinced 1eyedking is just a bad, unfunny version of skyway. All the facepalm, none of the charm.

1eyedking said:
WE'RE SHOOTING ALIENS GODDAMIT, ALIENS THAT CONDUCT ANAL-PROBING EXPERIMENTS ON PEOPLE. So yeah, making it look like Dexter's Laboratory seems the obvious way to go.
:M

The previous two games (Aftermath, Aftershock) had a realistic style, yet they switched to toons for Afterlight. My initial reaction was "Wat dis shit?!". Why developers do such things, I'll never know.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Multi-headed Cow

Fowyr said:
1eyedking said:
Bad graphics I can stand; for example, I can play Thief on 640x480 without problem.
:retarded:

Fucking graphic whores.
In before rectangular tires.
Tires too sharp. I wouldn't play that game.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Sceptic said:
Jaesun said:
This is what 1eyedking considers "oldschool" games.
The more he posts, the more I'm convinced 1eyedking is just a bad, unfunny version of skyway. All the facepalm, none of the charm.

Perhaps you missed this gem of what REAL cRPG's are: http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 6&start=75

Accoring to 1eyedking....

Your M&M series is SHIT! SHIT SHIT!
He said he would have enjoyed Wizardry games if they at least had good death animations.

Strange, because I don't think there have been particularly remarkable death animations in most RPGs before mid-2000s, outside of maybe Fallout.

That really really really narrows it down. To almost nothing, really. Sometimes, staring at the wall is the only fun thing to do for some people who play games.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Depends on the game and how servicable the graphics are. Dungeon Master is fine, but I have problems with RoA1 because everything looks the same and you can only look two tiles far. Same with the early wireframe Wizardries :oops: So I wouldn't generalize so much.
I gave a "die traitorous dog" anyway :salute:

Repressed Homosexual
To me it's not good graphics, or bad graphics. It's about the following: can I easily recognize what I'm trying to see? If it's too indistinct, then the game has to be REALLY good for me to keep playing, and then I'm far more likely to stop than anything else.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Maybe, instead of looking at them as games with bad graphics, you should look at them as these bizarre, wonderful cultural artifacts with an aesthetic completely unique to its medium. Redefine your expectations and understanding of what the things you're looking at are and you'll learn to appreciate them more. This applies to more than just video games ;)

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
sgc_meltdown said:
Black Gate - 1992, 5 years before fallout.
os1pL.jpg
You... BASTARD! Now I want to play Black Gate but I still can't get sound to work
:x .

sgc_meltdown said:
One thing that bugs me about Mechwarrior series is how they could never get them to look like big fucking mecha, not like fucking toys.

Ruprekt

Scholar
I draw the line at CGA games. I'll play the Amiga or c64 version thx.

However, EGA titles (particularly Sierra adventures) can have a unique illustrated look; something that was lost with VGA.

FatCat

Educated
I can't play games that look bad , graphics don't matter. Art direction is the key. For one Infinity engine graphics are bad , but games are gorgeous.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There are 2 ultimas 7

And fuck you pagan was immersive

ps: i know you mean u9 you troll you.

As for the poll question, i'm a storyfag no doubt (adventure refugee variant) but i enjoy good combat over graphics.
A die traitorous dog it is.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Awor Szurkrarz said:
sgc_meltdown said:
Black Gate - 1992, 5 years before fallout.
os1pL.jpg
You... BASTARD! Now I want to play Black Gate but I still can't get sound to work
:x .

If you are some kind of purist use dosbox, this version if you want mt32 sound and can find the rom (and have the processing power for it).

Otherwise use exult, with the mt32 recording pack (it's in the exult download page).

If you are in linux use exult, for instance (unstable build from some random guy that can install a backdoor):
https://launchpad.net/~dallen.wilson/+archive/ppa

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom