Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Invincible - first-person retro future sci-fi thriller based on Stanislaw Lem

Modron

Arcane
That's like the easiest hardware limitation to remedy unless you're using some kind of mac laptop with the ram soldered in.

Beowulf

Arcane
what's so 'punk' in this 'atompunk,' both Niezwyciężony and Kondor are military fleet ships

In the book it was the top of the line new hardware and the science was accurate or extrapolating on what's know (as is commonly encountered in Lem's works). But the developer decided to go for this faux retro aesthetic hoping to get on the glorious soviet era cosmos exploration train.
The demo showed that this is just another linear walking sim with button prompts to keep the player engaged.

toughasnails

Eh, the visuals are "catchy" and do make this game distinct from other SF walking sims.
And these do appear to be semi-official Lem-aesthetics at this point. What I mean that p much all the covers for his translations in my language are done in a vaguely retro SF style or a reproducing the old cover art. And looking at the English editions over at Amazon, this appears to be the case for many of them as well.
91w64oFkF-L._SY466_.jpg

61wOtfA9igL._SY466_.jpg

91SNP6pFczL._SY466_.jpg

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Eh, the visuals are "catchy" and do make this game distinct from other SF walking sims.
And these do appear to be semi-official Lem-aesthetics at this point. What I mean that p much all the covers for his translations in my language are done in a vaguely retro SF style or a reproducing the old cover art. And looking at the English editions over at Amazon, this appears to be the case for many of them as well.
91w64oFkF-L._SY466_.jpg

61wOtfA9igL._SY466_.jpg

91SNP6pFczL._SY466_.jpg
everything was better in the 60s

2899dead4a5aa49ea3d43396adc8

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Didn't read the book, but have read other works from Lem and was interested.
Downloaded from fitgirl.
Installed.
Thought intro was cool.
Woman protagonist.
Let out a noisy sigh of exhaustion
Uninstall.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Guys - I said RAM not VRAM. The game's GOG store page says 16GB is the minimum.
Playing with 8 GB RAM and 3 GB VRAM on my old rig aka living room popamole machine, and it's smooth like a butter (though looks like it too).

Naraya

Arcane
Didn't read the book, but have read other works from Lem and was interested.
Downloaded from fitgirl.
Installed.
Thought intro was cool.
Woman protagonist.
Let out a noisy sigh of exhaustion
Uninstall.
Welp, there goes my problem!

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Ok, tried playing a bit more as friend told me it has nice gfx for my 4090.
Maybe spoilers.
Implied lesbian relationship with older scientist woman.
Sad feminist story about said older scientist woman being deprived by death from being first female astrogator.
Uninstalled again

I bet this game script went trough one of those canadian woke consulting companies.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Maybe spoilers.
Sad feminist story about said older scientist woman being deprived by death from being first female astrogator.
Uninstalled again

I bet this game script went trough one of those canadian woke consulting companies.
notice how the crew in the book is all male but there's not a word about any gay shit going on there
almost as if it were a story about the fucking necrosphere

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I must say the constant talking does take away a lot of atmosphere built by the surroundings and music. I wish the main character would just shut the fuck up.

Naraya

Arcane
As far as I remember (but correct me if I'm wrong) there were zero females in Lem's book. It's a brilliant and innovative idea, not to mention one that EVERYONE asked for, to introduce a female protagonist, female scientists and slap a lesbian sticker on top. Motherfuckers.

It doesn't seem to be all that successful. I wonder why?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I must say the constant talking does take away a lot of atmosphere built by the surroundings and music. I wish the main character would just shut the fuck up.
So basically a reskin of Amnesia: Rebirth. I'd say 'hard pass' if my interest in this wasn't nil to begin with.

Beowulf

Arcane
Spaceship crews at that time were constructed in most sci-fi works as being analogues to sailing ships crews, which didn't (and still mostly don't) have female sailors.
But the times are changing and we have female astronauts on space ship crews so I don't mind including them in game.

But as usual, it's the quality of the implementation that counts - if the character is written as a cliche stronk women trope just to satisfy the gaming journos and woke score, then I will rate it poorly.

As for the steam charts - it's not necessary about female protagonist, but more about this game being a boring walking sim I guess, and the writing is not enough to cover for the extremely shallow gameplay of the genre.

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Augur
Maybe spoilers.
Uninstalled again

From the trailer it was clear, that there would be a woman protagonist.
As Beowulf said, this could have worked, if the character had been written in a good way. (I can't comment on Lem, since I haven't read the novel.)

But the shit you experienced and constantly talking protagonists are the final nail in the coffin.

So thanks for the warning!
I can skip this one.

lightbane

Arcane
I don't get why devs keep blowing this up. A woman protagonist can work, but apparently you can't have friendships anymore, due the Message or whatever. People of the same sex being together MUST be gay. You can check this in any modern work.
Wokes must be lonely people.

Konjad

Patron
In my playthrough she never mentioned she was lesbian or was in a relationship with anybody.

Anyway, I finished. It's a decent walking sim if you're into walking sims (otherwise avoid). The protagonist talks WAY TOO MUCH, but the game has a pleasant atmosphere and an interesting story (I didn't read the book, so that's why, I guess). It made me realize I read too little of Lem too, I need to pick him up again.

There's plenty of walking, but later mostly driving. Not much gameplay though, it's listening to dialogues and doing simple tasks. No shit jumpscares fortunately though, it's just a pure sci-fi story, though with some 'action'. There's also a lot of choices, but I'm pretty sure they are all fake and stuff would happen the same if I chose differently.

The only thing I complain is that amount of dialogues and monologues, but other than that it's an alright walking sim. Took me 9 hours to finish. An okay experience overall.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The protagonist talks WAY TOO MUCH
This seems very common now regardless of the game. Often the damn talking interrupts periods when silence is needed, like reading through a document or something. The constant jabbering, Jesus H.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
The protagonist talks WAY TOO MUCH
This seems very common now regardless of the game. Often the damn talking interrupts periods when silence is needed, like reading through a document or something. The constant jabbering, Jesus H.
There's a woman as protagonist. Do you really expect a woman to just shut up?

Last edited:

Iucounu

Educated
As far as I remember (but correct me if I'm wrong) there were zero females in Lem's book. It's a brilliant and innovative idea,
Speaking of innovation, there's a line in the game about an NPC becoming "the first female astrogator"...

Iucounu

Educated
Now the protagonist has started saying "fuck" and "shit" in dramatic situations. Seems very anachronistic in the game's retro-futuristic setting, not to mention out of place for a middle-aged(?) female doctor.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Finished it yesterday. 6h. Sadly I think it's rather meh, and I actually like walking sims (finished most popular ones). It's pretty much Firewatch in space - walk around, talk through radio, read some lore. There are driving sections but they barely differ from walking.

The story is virtually a copy paste of Lem's book, down to some details (like the bitten soap). There are some choices, but most of them are about achievements, as there are just 3 effective endings, all of which seem to be an outcomes of a final dialogue/section. Gameplay wise, IMO it does a better job than recently released Scorn (and many others), as it doesn't try to "gamify" a walking sim by adding pointless stealth or pseudo shooting sections with janky mechanics.

There are some decent philosophical dialogues, but like the visual style, they are stuck in this '60s retro futurism, in which robots are effectively thoughtless automatons often stuck in their programming. From that standpoint, the whole premise and idea of nanomachines does sound futuristic, but honestly in modern day and age they mostly present archaic viewpoints.

The art style, much in vein of Alien Isolation and slightly Brethedge, presents a nice vision of Lem's future, full of gauges and knobs. Graphics technically, are decent at scale - distant mountains and rock formations do look picturesque, but at the same time, for majority of the game it's just one lengthy, rocky tunnel with outdated visuals - almost flat geometry with visibly tiled texture, and some occasional 3d rocks here and there. Speaking of textures, many objects are mapped poorly with textures stretched on entire sides. Metallic structures being the prime offenders. Most of work is just dumped on engine, up to a point where every setting can be cranked to Epic, and still look weird because the models are not up the task.

Music is decent, an ambient/electronic fitting enough to sound good, but nothing special to write about. It's no Lustmord like in Scorn.

Al in all, a decent game but I sure expected more, especially in terms of original plot and graphical technicalities.

Azdul

Magister
Spaceship crews at that time were constructed in most sci-fi works as being analogues to sailing ships crews, which didn't (and still mostly don't) have female sailors.
But the times are changing and we have female astronauts on space ship crews so I don't mind including them in game.

But as usual, it's the quality of the implementation that counts - if the character is written as a cliche stronk women trope just to satisfy the gaming journos and woke score, then I will rate it poorly.

As for the steam charts - it's not necessary about female protagonist, but more about this game being a boring walking sim I guess, and the writing is not enough to cover for the extremely shallow gameplay of the genre.
When you hear audio recordings of real Apollo-13 crew - it is pretty obvious that they were chosen for the ability to keep calm in ANY circumstances - and to not talk to mission control about irrelevant, private stuff when time is of the essence.

Lem protagonists are similar - calm, collected engineers - with internal monologue that does not really translate well to the screen.

Hollywood adaptation of Apollo-13 had to make astronauts 10000% more emotional - to make it somewhat watchable for average folk.

The game had to do the same - that's why we have a woman - to make it more like horror/slasher instead of dry, hard SF. Of course she need to be 'strong and independent' - because even Soviet Union knew better than sending hysterical housewives into space.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom