Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The King's Field series thread

LivingOne

Savant
So I finished King's Field II and The Ancient City so far(but I'll play the others soon).Fun exploration in both games and really cool music and atmosphere.They reminded me of UUW in how they made even encounter with rather low key monsters(like skellies) an intresting event.I'd say that KFII has better level design while TAC has more minimalist approach to its story and is a bit more polished(better hit boxes for instance).
Combat's not bad for FPP standards,tho' it has its problems:the slow turning speed pushes you to sprint to get behind an enemy wich would make for an intresting tradeoff since this drains both the attack bar(wich influences the damage output) and the magic one(wich needs to be full for casting).Problem is,this matters only when there's more than a critter attacking you otherwise you are left with a single enemy that cannot do anything even against someone that doesn't bother with managing properly his/her attack/magic bars and only deals some low damage here and there.Not to mention AIs being incapable of moving too far from where they spawn.
Also Rpg system was p. basic.

Still:4/5:

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The games have slow movement because this enabled them to get rid of load times. I think the trade off is a fair one and works to the games advantage. Give Eternal Ring a look. It's kinda the same, but focuses more on action gameplay and plot.

LivingOne

Savant
Mmmh hadn't thought about slow movement that way.Anyway,yeah ER is on my backlog too after the earliest KFs.

Xi

Arcane
I liked the open world and spell system from King's Field 2. The AOE spells were pretty new for the time. ;P I only have a copy of King's Field IV though. I have yet to play it (and no more PS2). I may have to emulate it one of these days.

LivingOne

Savant
I liked the open world and spell system from King's Field 2. The AOE spells were pretty new for the time. ;P I only have a copy of King's Field IV though. I have yet to play it (and no more PS2). I may have to emulate it one of these days.
In that case bookmark this.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
:necro:

Dark Souls led me to investigate

KING'S FIELD SERIES

What draws some construction interest is the Windows title
Swords of Moonlight
613539-sword-of-moonlight-windows-screenshot-a-glimpse-at-the-editor.jpg

bah! Moonspeak! I can't read it.
1523926844-1493170525.jpg

1523926843-3952611476.jpg

613541-sword-of-moonlight-windows-screenshot-character-attributes.jpg

Really? WTF is with the japanese making these hybrid screens. English or Japanese... but i guess we should be thankful for some english.

Game translation? Mods? Where to find? How big?

Translation patch. But.... registration is disabled. How fucking retarded.

edit... also gay dead end. here

9Dofmi1.png

gXv5t62.png

oh yaaaayy... go fucking figure.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Game translation? Mods? Where to find? How big?
For the first screen, it seems to be some kind of counter. 0-3 has is pureiyaa. Not 100% up on that, but that means either player or prayer. Not sure from context.
10-13 is taimaa, or timer. A lot of this is in katakana, which means its English words, just translated into Japanese, they do that a lot for computer stuff. Not sure what some of it is, and the Kanji are all ones I don't know.
The menus at the top in the others ones are File on the left and help on the right.
Granted, I do all this and I could have just given you a link to an actual translation. Though I would have thought you of all people would have looked on the Internet Archive.
Really? WTF is with the japanese making these hybrid screens. English or Japanese... but i guess we should be thankful for some english.
The Japanese use English like we would use Latin or French. Looks cool, what it actually means is mostly irrelevant.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'm more sad that the project page is locked up tighter than fort knox. I managed to send a redit post in response to a 149 day old post. Meh. The maintenance on the site/forum/project/discord is lacking like all hell. The archivist in me is annoyed.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh that is indeed awesome. Ty. I've had issues getting their discord to pop up or resolving an invite.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Which is the best version of each of these to play on:
Viewing all 8 items
Game Title Year Platform Publisher User Score

King's Field 1994 PlayStation, PlayStation 3, PSP, PS Vita FromSoftware, Inc. 4.04

King's Field 1995 PlayStation, PlayStation 3, PSP, PS Vita ASCII Entertainment Software, Inc. 3.39

King's Field II 1996 PlayStation, PlayStation 3, PSP, PS Vita ASCII Entertainment Software, Inc. ...

Sword of Moonlight 2000 Windows FromSoftware, Inc. ...

King's Field: The Ancient City 2001 PlayStation 2 Agetec, Inc. 4.40

King's Field: Additional II 2006 PSP FromSoftware, Inc. ...

King's Field: Additional I 2006 PSP FromSoftware, Inc. ...

King's Field: Dark Side Box 2007 PlayStation, PlayStation 2 FromSoftware, Inc. ...

Don't you like how they sort of fucked up on the numeral names?

So the first 3 have varied option including PSX or PS3 or PSVita and in one case PSP. I'd like to say PS3 but couldn't I just pop em into a PS2? Was that simply meant compatible or was there an actual
PS3 upgrade version?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, this Translation Project popped up but i doubt it has much traction.

I can't find manuals for 3, 4, or the two jap game manuals. Damn.

bah. Not Sure i can find the first manual unless i'm looking at the jap version. This has me confused. Manual in one spot would be nice.

Last edited:

NoSoup4you

Learned
The Ancient City was a great game... It's a little counterintuitive, but I've described it as a blend of Elder Scrolls and Myst, on account of the slow pace and thick atmosphere. It's both relaxing and rage-inducingly hard.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
In these days I am going through King's FIeld - The Ancient City via PCSX2, on PC. It is a very atmospheric action dungeon crawler. I like the slow paced exploration. It reminds me a bit of Ultima Underworld, in some way. The Dark Souls legacy is also evident, even if the combat is technically different.
It is more immersive than DS though. What is different from DL is that there is no enemy respawing, and this is good. To be precise, there is a kind of "controlled" respawing, where it make sense, for example you see poisonous plants that slowly repopulate a room, or new critters that seldomly arrive from holes in the walls, undeads that rise from the soil, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom