Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware The Mandate - LOL DEAD

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The Kickstarter target release date was originally Q1 2015. That was eventually pushed back to Q1 2016; we're four days from the end of Q1 2016 now, and according to Kickstarter comments I've just read, backers are essentially hoping the game will enter pre-alpha sometime within the next few months. There's been one update in the past four and a half months, and it was consistent with the game still being in a very early state.

I guess we'll wait and see. I'm fairly glad I didn't actually back this one, as the developers don't communicate well or often, they don't appear to update their website or any other outlet properly (Q1 2016 is obviously wrong, and their Steam Greenlight entry, among others, still cites Q1 2015), they've had to seek additional funding, and yet are still very early on in the development process.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The Kickstarter target release date was originally Q1 2015. That was eventually pushed back to Q1 2016; we're four days from the end of Q1 2016 now, and according to Kickstarter comments I've just read, backers are essentially hoping the game will enter pre-alpha sometime within the next few months. There's been one update in the past four and a half months, and it was consistent with the game still being in a very early state.

I guess we'll wait and see. I'm fairly glad I didn't actually back this one, as the developers don't communicate well or often, they don't appear to update their website or any other outlet properly (Q1 2016 is obviously wrong, and their Steam Greenlight entry, among others, still cites Q1 2015), they've had to seek additional funding, and yet are still very early on in the development process.
It sounded like a pipe dream from the start, extremely ambitious.

Keldryn

Arcane
Yeah, I always thought this seemed far too ambitious for the amount of money they were trying to raise. I backed at at $20 for the hell of it, but of all the games I've backed on KS, this is the one I've always thought had the greatest chance of running out of money and not getting finished. Hopefully that won't happen.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Yeah, I always thought this seemed far too ambitious for the amount of money they were trying to raise. I backed at at $20 for the hell of it, but of all the games I've backed on KS, this is the one I've always thought had the greatest chance of running out of money and not getting finished. Hopefully that won't happen.
I would have been happy with an updated take on the nexus Jupiter incident. No need for ship boarding, rpg mechanics, just a good space opera semi realistic space combat game with capital ships.

That was an awesome game, shame the sequel never pulled through.

Norfleet

So, vaporware, just as I called it from the beginning, eh? Maybe a baby will fly, too.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe they don't update very often, but I can't let it pass that they don't communicate well. Look at those freakin updates. Insane amounts of info.

And is anyone surprised they didn't hit their original release estimate? I think we all knew on day one that that was just a field they filled in because they had to.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Maybe they don't update very often, but I can't let it pass that they don't communicate well. Look at those freakin updates. Insane amounts of info.

2,800 words and 17 screenshots in four and a half months is fair enough, but I'd hardly call it "insane amounts of info," especially after no info at all for three months previous. Their updates have also slowed considerably; they used to update once per month. I wrote my 4,500-word Underrail Re-Preview with 8 screenshots in my spare time in essentially one afternoon, for comparison.

There's more to communication than info dumps. Surely one or two of them could at least bang up one of those "developer blog" deals and post inconsequential but vaguely informative short entries once or twice a week to show signs of life, if nothing else.

What really prompted me to post in this thread was this:

e68a0becda.png

This is the page that allows people to pay them money to buy their game, and you'd think they'd look after it carefully, but quite obviously there's an incredibly out-of-date timeline.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It is a pity, an RPG version of Mass Effect with russian czars would be pretty cool but it is a bit hard to believe after all this time and the slow progress. I still keep an eye on this game but will only buy it at release, IF they release something, anyway, the poor communication could be they just don't being arsed to make updates, some developers don't understand the importance as this was a problem on Dead State, Expeditions and other kickstarters. I still hope.

Ironmonk

Augur
The last update (update #56) is from feb 12 (less than 2 months ago), update #55 is from dec 18 (less than 4 months ago), probably update #57 will be posted next month. The game is huge, obviously it would take time. I still have faith in a eventual release.

This Boarding demo is from aug 21, 2015, if you check the videos at their youtube channel ( https://www.youtube.com/user/Mandategame/videos ) IMO its safe to assume that they are progressing, the videos touch many planned features and they look more or less functional.

So IMO it will get released someday, my doubt is if it will be good or shit.

At least the music sounds great:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I played the boarding combat demo. It was indeed "functional", but it was less stimulating than a lobotomy. I can see why they haven't released it to backers.

On the other hand, they also have the interplanetary strategy gameplay, the ship-to-ship combat, the "walk around on your ship and talk to the crew" layer, and the planetary away missions left to implement. And the modkit, of course. So, if they want to show off everything before release day, they have a lot of stuff left to show.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The book publisher is with Daedalic, but The Mandate is published by EuroVideo. It's purely a funding arrangement, with the publisher exerting no influence whatsoever on the final product.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
They need $100 million worth of virtual ships and a bearded geek droning on about how is all generated by mathematical equations to finish this vaporware. Pity. I liked the concept, but it was too ambitious for them in the end.

Ironmonk

Augur
Videos from the update:

Yeah, no gameplay video yet, just assets and stuff... I have to admit, this smells vaporware but I still want to believe. :cry:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Actually that in-engine stuff looks beautiful. All I've seen to this point is bits and pieces - wonderful to see it coming together. I was anticipating a fairly crappy looking game - nothing wrong with that if the gameplay's good of course - but this glimpse got me a bit pumped.

Early 2017? Maybe, but with the scope of this thing, I'm not holding my breath.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Zero gameplay in 'coming soon' trailers rarely bodes well. Let's hope this game will be an exception.

Beowulf

Arcane
First they need to show the game. So far they were able to produce only bits and pieces (great looking/sounding, I admit), but (and it's a big hairy butt) no real gameplay since the project started. And they did kickstarter when exactly? In the fall of 2013? With estimated delivery of the game at 1st half of 2015?

I wish them all the best, and I hope that they will finish the product, but it doesn't look good. They event went through the "long silence on official forums" phase, that uncertain kickstartered games go through. Compare this to the Sauron Vapourware - and they even showed what was supposed to be the gameplay in their videos. :M

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
First they need to show the game. So far they were able to produce only bits and pieces (great looking/sounding, I admit), but (and it's a big hairy butt) no real gameplay since the project started.

The Gamescom hands-on had real gameplay, it just wasn't good.

Beowulf

Arcane
First they need to show the game. So far they were able to produce only bits and pieces (great looking/sounding, I admit), but (and it's a big hairy butt) no real gameplay since the project started.

The Gamescom hands-on had real gameplay, it just wasn't good.

I've read your coverage, but can't remember the details. Wasn't it "just" the boarding demo?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Yeah, just the boarding demo. It was supposed to be released to backers shortly after the trade fair, but the devs changed their minds.

Zombra

Patron
Kickstarter update to massage our concerns:

Update #58

Jun 27 2016

The Mandate Producer's Letter

Dearest patient Backers, ahoy!

First off, let me introduce myself; my name is Michael I am the executive producer for The Mandate and I arrived in the team full-time about 4 months ago. My role is to oversee the production, ensure we are actually building the game that will deliver the experience we envisaged, and I negotiate with our publisher.

Originally, I was only working as a consultant but I fell in love with the universe, the game itself and the talented people building it. When they asked me if I could join full time I didn’t had to think twice. It is not the easiest project but all of us are fighting for making it the incredible experience we all want it to be.

First off, let me apologize to you on behalf of the whole Mandate team. We read the forum and tweets regularly, we know you are waiting for at least news and we know our communication was very timid, skittish and lately almost frozen. Today finally we have news worth sharing, this means positive news.

The team and the project went through a rough patch last year. We iterated and changed and fell short while building the grand vision of the game we had, we struggled to communicate our intentions within the team, we faced difficulties with our heads down.

One of the decisions we made early on was to relocate the team and work mostly from our office in Slovakia. This helps a lot as it improves communication and gives us much faster iteration cycles. We also worked on sharpening the game vision, and organized the teams differently. We convinced amazing people to join the team – I am super happy that we found Iain and Charles as game designers, Amelie as UX/GUI designer and Donna as our Community Manager (you might have already met her).

In this global world we learned that communication needs to be easy and instant and that humans -- even the nerds we are -- benefit from being next to each other to make quick and better advised decisions.

Many of you have been supportive enough to write "take your time and don't screw up this game" that's exactly what we intend to do, to continue to do until we get it right.

Decisions and changes were made to the team and to the game so that by bringing the pieces together we could find the internal logic we were missing so far. Now we need to flesh things out so that the dream we had 4 years ago can stand on its strong base.

Let me now give you the details of what we’ve achieved so far and the issues we have encountered.

World building

We are putting the Galaxy together. The first Cluster, which consists of a four star system, is done and it was very needed to have the core systems in place for fast iteration and to have a quality benchmark for level design -- now it’s much easier for us to expand and build the rest of the “world”. It was a major step and we’re much relieved now that it’s completed and that it works as we imagined it.

We wanted something rich, we have it, next for us is: build on it and use it up to its full potential.

Missions

We are starting to populate the Clusters with missions. This includes both tutorial missions and advanced missions.

Since the relationship with the crew is our focus, personal missions will be included, like requests from your very own officers. You will dive into their Background and learn about the world you live in through their own experience. We know precisely the experience we want to create but it ties into a lot of game Systems. We are looking at how to integrate this at the moment.

As of today, the entire story for the first Cluster is completed, we are currently designing the crew missions, additional side missions and faction specific missions.

Story

Some of the delay can be attributed to the narrative. When we put everything together, we felt, that it was too weak. Of course our universe stayed the same and, but we have now achieved the internal consistency we needed and a way for the player to create his unique version of the story.

There is a much deeper and richer narrative, which ties into you as a captain on a personal level as well as your crew, while still retaining all we have promised before story wise, like the conflict between factions for example.

Events

Events are situations that happen during play and require a response from either your crew or your captain. Basically every event has a clear cause and effect, but there are a couple of events that are triggered randomly, to act as some kind of surprise element you need to take care of.

For now, events are split into two categories: Interior Ship Events, affecting the interior of the ship and Space Events, relating to situations that occur outside of the ship, such as rogue asteroids, pirate attacks, etc. This is one of the things we had right, so we kept it and are working on integrating it to the missions.

Exploration

Exploration will be a big part of the experience when you are roaming the universe. You will encounter different Points of Interest (POI) -- You can unveil them by ordering your Astrogation Officer to activate the ships’ scanners. There you might find lore, items, events or other types of activities, such as special combat encounters. This is part of the things we decided to add as we looked at how we could make our adventure mode the most interesting we can. We will confirm several more aspects as we move forward.

User Interface

For our internal test purposes, the UI did not have to be very user friendly or pretty, so let me tell you, it made Amelie’s eyes bleed. But slowly but surely we are changing this, replacing placeholder art with real art assets – she is thankfully already recovering. Of course this process needs a lot of iterations, but hey – we are getting there and moving towards playtest in the next 3 months!

Control Scheme

This is one of the things that nobody notices if you get it right, and everybody complains about it if you do not. During the last months we iterated on the control scheme for the Adventure Mode. Currently you can decide how to navigate your ship, you can also set a desired camera angle to enjoy the universe either top down or more from a third person view. We need to pass the validation test in a few months and iterate to make it smooooth.

E3

We wanted to use E3 to reconnect with the press and the user base. Garret, our art director was joining our publisher in L.A. this year.

It was great for us to talk to the press and showcase what we have in a transparent fashion, it was great to talk to the curious and the fans, to collect feedback, to get to know our audience better.

These events have the power to ground you, you work all year long on your thing and then you remember bluntly who the people are you’re making this game for.

Our motivation got a big boost, we’re just as excited and impatient as you are to be able to share more of the stuff!

The rough patch I was telling you about in the intro

Well, it’s no news that objectives and priorities change during production, systems have to be altered or extended, to match new needs and wants from the community. Code and art have been refactored, designs have been updated and extended. We were ambitious, we took risks and tried things. Trust me we still are, but some of the stuff was just not working and we had to fix it before going further down the line, even if going further down the line is somehow reassuring because then you ask no questions.

We have finally reached a stage where we feel the ground work has been laid for the game that we want to make, there is still a lot of work but we have the solid base we needed. Now we are building on it, careful to check, test and iterate we are still making the game that got us started.

Once again, I want to thank you for your support, for your understanding, for believing in the same game vision we do. Making good games is a challenge but it’s the one we chose and it’s the one you trusted us with. We’re getting there.

Michael

Are they talking about Biowarian mission design? Hmm. I hope that stuff is procedural.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom