Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Ninja Cartographer

Xi

Arcane
aweigh said:
Xi, what kind of hardware are you falling into Oblivion on? Cuz that 17 FPS over there in the corner of your screenshot is horrible. That is unplayable and causes headaches (literally).

When I snap a shot with Fraps, it dips the FPS sometimes. I think this is a good example. I believe I was getting 25ish. I've noticed that around the cities FPS tends to be better while out in the wilderness some of the scenic parts can really stress your hardware. Inside I'm always getting 70(I use V Sync) and outside it's 20-70. Again, it does sometimes drop depending on the location. So far it hasn't been bother some. Most confrontations don't happen in the wilderness but inside of a dungeon.(where it's silky smooth) I have the settings on max too. I bet I could tweak them to achieve better constant FPS, but I just don't care as much as some folks.

7900GT

Lord Chambers

Erudite
The answer to this question could possibly be answered in your post, EvoG, but I'm trying to avoid spoiling myself on the stealth side of the game, as I'm about to make my own character for that niche.

My question is, what have you found to be the most useful skills/attributes? I realize you're roleplaying, and that doesn't necesarily mean your choices are based on utility, but I want to avoid making the same mistakes I made with Morrowind. For example, Morrowind's acrobatics skill sounds amazing. The game describes how it'll let theif characters reach areas normal players couldn't. Boy, you think, the possibilities are endless! However, acrobatics is not implemented in the game in any way, ever. There is one place I can recall being rewarded for having a good acrobatics score, and that's in the Dwemer ruins outside of Balmora where you get the puzzle box. One fucking place. Acrobatics, while an exciting roleplaying skill, was worthless, and as I came to realize that I wanted to trade it for something cooler, like say, illusion.

How's acrobatics in Oblivion? Are you seeing areas in the game where it's supported? I haven't explored much, but I did find an alternative route around a blade trap in one of the Elven ruins. Of course, my armor-laden knight could manage with his acrobatics, so it was probably not even intended as a route around the trap.

What about illusion? Do you find chameleon to be a helpful way to support your sneak skill? Or is sneak sufficiant for most situations? What about light armor? Does it make you too encumbered, or blow your stealth? Do you find that agility is extremely important to making your character effective in combat, or would it be worthwhile to try and work endurance via blocking? Do you ever block, or just try to dodge with your speed?

Basically, without any specific quests and whatnot, I would appreciate a heads up so I can avoid the Morrowind situation and end up with time spent on a character that I want to remake.

kris

Arcane
The only time I would play a game for the pretty pictures would be when it have "adult" written on the box.

Oarfish

Prophet
How's acrobatics in Oblivion?

You get pretty ludicrously bouncy at higher levels, I'm around 55 and can easily jump over peoples heads and execute an attack on landing. You also get rolls and backflips at journeyman. Can be used for evading enemies and traps in some circumstances, but it's no climb skill. Its a damn shame you dont get flanking / reverse attack bonuses as having an agile fighter with a fast weapon just encourages you to get in their face an stab like crazy on the rare occasions when they get past the bow or survive the backstab and fisrt few blows.

What about illusion? Do you find chameleon to be a helpful way to support your sneak skill? Or is sneak sufficient for most situations?

I do fine with just sneak, though don't use it often in daylight except for pickpocketing.

What about light armor?

No noticeable effect on stealth, not after the first perk. I think it nerfs your jumps slightly.

All in all, the steath game holds up pretty well ( at least up to level 10..) and the dark brotherhood quests are pretty well done.

EvoG

Erudite
Lord Chambers said:
My question is, what have you found to be the most useful skills/attributes?

Nothing beyond the obvious ones, stealth, security and of course for me, marksman. You can of course replace marksman with an other weapon or magic skill for your own combo.

Lord Chambers said:
How's acrobatics in Oblivion? Are you seeing areas in the game where it's supported?

Its less interesting than I'd hoped for and yes you see 'some' areas where a high acro is useful. Again my travels have been limited to the main roads and towns, and I almost never go into the random dungeons I find (no idea why...no interest). Also, there is one very specific place where an 'inhuman' acro is needed, but I won't spoil it for you...you'll find it on your own.

Lord Chambers said:
What about illusion? Do you find chameleon to be a helpful way to support your sneak skill?

Absolutely! I found my precious ring of chameleon off of a daedra krvyn(sp) warrior, and its the single greatest bit of loot a thief could find. Constant effect, and I've run into rooms standing butt face to an NPC who was FACING me...and he didn't see me. Proceeded to walk towards the door, so I scampered to the side, and shot him in the back. I'm not almost completely invisible at night and to guards outside of a dozen feet, dark shadows or not. During the day is another story, but if you're out doing your evil deeds in the daytime, you're not much of a thief. :D

Lord Chambers said:
What about light armor?

You must wear light armor. As per my initial post here, I was clueless that heavy armor made me THAT much more noticeable. Once I went to full light armor, my stealth dramatically improved. Now when you make it to Journeyman, a boots weight won't affect your stealth, but thats it. All other heavy armor will.

Lord Chambers said:
Do you find that agility is extremely important to making your character effective in combat, or would it be worthwhile to try and work endurance via blocking? Do you ever block, or just try to dodge with your speed?

Being a marksman, I avoid melee as much as possible, otherwise, its good old fashion timing...when to block and when to attack. This of course assumes I'm in a corner with little option to use my bow effectively. Otherwise, having a high acrobatics could mean getting around and on top of objects that would prevent the enemy from getting to you, so its definitely useful.

Lord Chambers said:
Basically, without any specific quests and whatnot, I would appreciate a heads up so I can avoid the Morrowind situation and end up with time spent on a character that I want to remake.

Well for what its worth, I think the reason why I've really been loving the experience is that it reminded me an awful lot of Thief. Thief is clearly the better game, but the sensation of stalking through a castle or crypt when you clearly dont' belong there is just as thrilling as it was in Thief. I think you'll enjoy the thieves guild story, all the way to the end, which I just completed last night. I wish I could tell you what happened, but I will say that its VERY worth it. :D

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
12 years later

OP still giant faggot

But where did he go? 1400 posts from 2003 - 2008 and then just disappeared into the wind.

Where are you EvoG? If you truly were a faggot I bet you died of AIDS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom