Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Official Kodex Kritial Konsensus Dragon Age Poll

Did you like Dragon Age Origins?

• Yes (faggot)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No (bro)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • King Comrade (nigger)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Achilles

Arcane
I voted yes.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
ENCHANTMENT.jpg

mydnight

Educated
JarlFrank said:
I liked the parts that weren't filler combat. Too bad that 70-80% of the game was filler combat, so I didn't even touch any of the DLCs because I got bored of the game.

".

Relay

Educated
Had DA cut half of everyone's HP, including yours to maintain challenge, it would have made for faster paced combat and less filler. I don't think DA had more combat than most RPG, it just lasted longer because even the lowly critters such as dogs and wolves had ton of HP and scaled with you a bit too much. Once the chain overwhelm started I felt like throwing the 'puter out of the window.

Killing boss type enemies like Revenants was actually easier than getting rid of packs of bandits simply because it consisted of chugging potions and waiting for the HP to go down. Every Revenant fight felt like playing a japanese RPG, they aren't difficult to beat, they just drag on for too long and have humongous levels of HP.

TsongaKralj

Novice
Ancient said:
TsongaKralj said:
dialogue,it really feels like it was written by a 15 year old teenager(especially that Alistar idiot).

I don't even.....

Alistair was immature and hilarious character and dragon age had some really funny moments.

You're serious? Being able to give up that idiot to his fate at the hands of that gueen bitch was one of the highest points of the game to me."We were getting along so well I was even gonna rename one of my children after you,the grumpy one" -his initial BS joke.

I'm not saying it's a bad game,combat was fine even though there were way too many low level trash mobs to dispose of and some quests were pretty well designed.Heck as long as the sequel keeps the tactical combat system and allows the option for top down view I'll give it a one playthrough as well to see all the game has the offer even if it turns out to have retarted oversized manga swords and exploding orcs.

However as far as DA companions go the only ones I could stomach were Sten and the dog.

dr. one

Augur
voted yes. it´s a good game.
while it doesn´t really excel in anything, for such a mainstream title, it has quite a lot of rpg-y features.
limited inventory, quite exhaustive journal, dialogue checks, talkative companions with influence system, C&C, tactical combat including spell combos and solid rogue gameplay, mostly functional GUI and camera, random encounters, traps, balanced economy, weapon adjustability via runes and a bit of item crafting, class specializations, origin vignettes...
sounds dumb, and of course there´s filler combat, dull itemization, nondescript skill/spell descriptions etc, but what i´m trying to say is that, regardless of actual quality, feature-wise it´s a rather "complete" cRPG.

personally i enjoyed the game despite the shortcomings and thought DA2 could be potentially a great game if refined in right places and direction, which, judging by info available, unfortunately didn´t happen.

Zyrxil

Scholar
8/10

It gets worse as the game drags on though, due to the combat and dwarf city.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
lol midgets and fairies

You'd have to be a fucking tard to like this shit. I mean it. I don't mean "I impose my standards on you in an arbitrary way", I mean "objectively, ontologically, in your very essence" tard. Your very being would be a tard, in other words. It's not like you'd be qualitified as a tard - you'd be a tard in itself. Your nature would be to be a tard. You wouldn't even be a man, or an animal - just a tard. That's right.

dr. one

Augur
Serious_Business said:
lol midgets and fairies

You'd have to be a fucking tard to like this shit. I mean it. I don't mean "I impose my standards on you in an arbitrary way", I mean "objectively, ontologically, in your very essence" tard. Your very being would be a tard, in other words. It's not like you'd be qualitified as a tard - you'd be a tard in itself. Your nature would be to be a tard. You wouldn't even be a man, or an animal - just a tard. That's right.

you´re mean.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Ancient said:
It was best party based RPG post-infinity engine

What? the? fuck?

@ Topic: It was a huge disappointment.
The combat was dull, monotonous and clearly influenced by bad MMORPG design, without any possibility of class change, multiclassing or real hybrid classes. Also, the party size was too small and therefore you had nearly no freedom to play around with the 3 (lol) different classes or different companions. Enemy AI was almost non-existant and facepalmingly bad. The only "challenge" of any sorts derived from the fact that most bosses were immune against nearly all talents and abilities, which was a another very bad design decision in my opinion. Normally you'd expect that you could use your best abilities against the strongest enemies, to help you in those fights.

The skill system was unsatisfying and boring, the companions hardcore psychos and retards, and the game sometimes felt more like a psychotherapy session than a heroic fantasy adventure :roll:

Next, the game has nearly no atmosphere to speak of. NPCs who leave the levels after being cleared (finishing of their quests), "capital" cities with around 10 inhabitants, nearly no flavour dialogue, nearly no interactivity with the gameworld.

tl;dr: I've voted "no".

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
All of this.

Add poor writing, horrible sidequests, lots of promises that don't quite deliver: the Origins having no real effect on the game, the "choices" being made pointless by always having one ultimate option that is so easily available you'd have to be LARPing not to pick it, no real consequences to most stuff you do...

Generally none of the game's flaws are so deal-breaking or so unusual in RPGs that I'd call it a bad game. But the combination of everything being mediocre on top of the truly atrocious filler combat knocks it down into "bad game" area. There's just nothing that shines and 80% of the game (all the combat) is just painful.

Rhalle

Magister
VentilatorOfDoom said:
more like dragonturd amirite, or was it turd age?
Dragon Turd: Orifices

Prolix, feminine, cliche, ugly, technically unimpressive.

So basically run-of-the-mill Bioware.

Some of the Origin Stories stuff was good, though, because it actually had some narrative density. It wasn't just de riguer boilerplate Bio-quest shit.

Relay

Educated
Sceptic said:
the Origins having no real effect on the game

Which is not the point. There is a lot to criticize about DA but not that. Origins add flavor (and it does it much better than most RPG when it comes to the impact of your character race, there is ton of flavour throughout the game that changes based on your origin and details like you being only able to marry the queen if you're a Human Noble), there is no reason why they'd have more effect than they already have on the game because the story is about fighting the dorkspawns and the Archdemon and it doesn't matter whether you're an elf, a human or a dwarf, you're only here to kick some stupid old god ass. The story itself swallows whole buckets of cocks since it's all about fighting a non-sentient force of evil who is evil.. because. Just because. It's evil. It's destroying shit. Bioware games never had stellar writing but I'd say they declined a lot since Mass Effect and Dragon Age, at least your enemy in Baldur's Gate 2 wasn't some "I'm evil hahaha because!", all he did had a purpose, extending his life and getting his revenge against his own people. He didn't hate you or wanted to destroy the world, he was using you as a stepping stone toward his goal. Compare that to Ass Effect and the fucking Reapers. You talk to an actual reaper in ME1 and he goes all "You wouldn't understand why we want to destroy THE WHOLE FUCKING UNIVERSE anyway HAHAHAHAHAHAH pathetic lifeform LOLOLOL".

Dragon Age, story-wise, is a 1:1 copy of Mass Effect. And Dragon age 2 is taking it further by turning it into an action RPG, just like ME.

made

Arcane
Decent game, but the turnbased combat wasn't visceral enough. When I press A, I expect enemies to explode in a fountain of blood, not my char to sidestep like a gimp.

relootz

Scholar
Holy crap what a fucking piece of shit thread. Not surprising since Crimhead is useless and this topic is like beating a dead horses skeleton.

A decent game though, too bad about the filler combat destroying it.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Relay said:
Which is not the point. There is a lot to criticize about DA but not that.
First, I did criticize everything else there is to criticize about DAO. Second, yes it is the point. It is IN THE NAME OF THE FUCKING GAME. If Arcanum: Of Steamworks And Magick Obscura was in fact about neither steamworks not magick it would've been criticized for it, and rightly so. But the real point is that Bioware hyped the shit out of the origins, and SPECIFICALLY out of how much effect they would have on the rest of the game and how "each origin story completely changes the setting and events of the game's first chapter and unlocks different storylines, villains, romances and items throughout the course of the game." Emphasis mine, quote is verbatim. Therefore, criticizing the game because one of its most hyped features is in fact NOT THERE is a very valid criticism. Origins may have ended up adding flavor only, but that is NOT what they were advertised as. This is like claiming that ME1 is full of C&C because choices add flavor.

the story is about fighting the dorkspawns and the Archdemon
Really? because I thought the story was in fact about Loghain (yes I know you haven't said this, I'm just pointing out that's an excuse others have brought up to cover for the Archdemon being such a pathetic villain). Well fair enough, but since the story of fighting the dorkspawn and the Archdemon is fucking awful you'd hope that at least the fluff would raise the game's quality a tiny notch. Instead it brings it down even more.

The story itself swallows whole buckets of cocks since it's all about fighting a non-sentient force of evil who is evil.. because. Just because. It's evil. It's destroying shit. Bioware games never had stellar writing but I'd say they declined a lot since Mass Effect and Dragon Age, at least your enemy in Baldur's Gate 2 wasn't some "I'm evil hahaha because!", all he did had a purpose
On this (and the rest of the paragraph) I agree. Though I never thought of Irenicus as such a great villain, he's positively brilliant compared to every single other Bioware villain.

Dragon Age, story-wise, is a 1:1 copy of Mass Effect. And Dragon age 2 is taking it further by turning it into an action RPG, just like ME.
Story-wise all Biogames between NWN and DAO have been copies of each other, with minor variations. The problem is that their formula isn't very engaging to begin with.

BTW, I realize parts of my post may look a bit angry. I'd like to point out this is not directed at you. I'm in agreement with most of what you said. The anger is just residual from all the unfulfilled promises and the fact the game got praised for fulfilling these unfulfilled promises (yeah I know).

Relay

Educated
But the real point is that Bioware hyped the shit out of the origins, and SPECIFICALLY out of how much effect they would have on the rest of the game and how "each origin story completely changes the setting and events of the game's first chapter and unlocks different storylines, villains, romances and items throughout the course of the game." Emphasis mine, quote is verbatim. Therefore, criticizing the game because one of its most hyped features is in fact NOT THERE is a very valid criticism. Origins may have ended up adding flavor only, but that is NOT what they were advertised as. This is like claiming that ME1 is full of C&C because choices add flavor.

I didn't react the same way because I never listened to the marketing drivel, most game companies and not just Bioware tend to overhype the fuck out of their games. Oblivion and radiant AI anyone ? Ignoring the hype, I still feel like defending the origins features because I saw them as one of the only thing Bio got right. It certainly added far more flavour than most rpg care for when it comes to your race and the only game that did as much, if not even more, with races was Arcanum.

On this (and the rest of the paragraph) I agree. Though I never thought of Irenicus as such a great villain, he's positively brilliant compared to every single other Bioware villain.

Irenicus is a decent villain compared to most other RPGs. I think two hands are enough to count all of the cRPG that had noteworthy baddies, if not one and I consider BG2 to be part of that group.

Redshirt #42

Augur
Voted 'no', for I did not enjoy it. At best, it is a barely average RPG, which was terribly overhyped - even here, on the Codex.

Codex poll without "good for what it is"?

OP is a raging faggot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom