Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
What you talking about. You can make cute asian waifus in the game :P]

You are an NPC shill to even say this. Yeah you CAN create one if you use one of the two settings for hair that is past the women's ear level and you meticulously work the sliders to beat the dog fucking ugly out of the system that is thoroughly baked in. If you give this game even 1 dollar you implicitly acknowledge you accept this propaganda and want a future filled with mud colored androgynous cretins sort of like we are quickly hurtling towards IRL because, (((reasons))).

Here is a quick montage I threw together of the absolutely random character faces for biological females. These are not cherry picked. I just clicked at random a few times and screencapped the faces. I present to you, "Your Future" according to the soyboy faggots and danger haired fatties at Obsidian. Vote with your dollars, or this never ends.

kE4st4c.png
These should be added to codex's collection of userpics!

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
This game is fun as hell.

I am level 13 and a few levels ago I picked an anti-perk called "permanent concussion" and holy shit I get some hilarious as fuck dialogue options with companions interjecting. Fucken hell this game is fun and the conversations can be quite funny.

Anti perks add flavour to the game! Pick them because they do more than -1 to some stat or some shit.

oregano12

Educated
It’s bad in relation to what it was hyped up to be and what I expected from Cain and Boyarsky / Obsidian. 65/100, by most scales used to rate games, is fairly mediocre.

No dude, 50 is mediocre, because 50 is right in the middle of the scaling between 0 and 100, thats the obvious implication since a mediocre game is supposed to be neither good or bad. A 65 can be considered above average, almost good. Your letting IGN teach you how to give scores to videogames.

Syme

Arbiter
God, that Pavarti quest, it's like they handed off two decently written characters to a twelve years old tumblr fanfiction writer and called it a day.

The biggest problem I have so far with Parvati's quest is that if you're not immediately dismissive back on the ship, you'll get locked into a conversation where you HAVE play the nice guy/gal and support her. You don't get to tell her that not liking sex may put a damper on their relationship, and you sure as hell don't get to be an asshole about it and tell her to get fucked (literally). You can't even exit the conversation after she told you. You HAVE to be supportive of her and that's just fucking preachy writing.

gqJtAez.png

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Something I find lacking in this game is the opening hook. A mad scientist frees you from a derelict spaceship, rambles about how the Board is bad, then sends you planetside to get a ship.

...Why do I need a ship? Weren't we just on the scientist's ship? Why should I care about the Board?

Compare this to New Vegas where you're robbed, shot in the head and buried alive before you wake up at Doc Mitchell's. Who is that guy in the checkered suit? Where did he go? What's up with that Platinum Chip, and why did he steal it? I want to get it back, get answers and have my revenge, damnit! :argh:

You even receive a delivery order that says you're contractually obliged to deliver the chip to the Strip. The intro to New Vegas is simple, short, but still it gives you a lot of reasons to want to do the main quest.

I will probably get more information about the scientist's mission once I've fixed the ship and can leave the starter planet, but as of right now, the things the scientist talked about seems to be completely irrelevant to what's going on in Edgewater, and thus as a player I'm not intrigued at all.

Baker

Novice
Absolutely bland game that commits all the sins of modern RPGs. Obsidian love to boast about how WE MADE NEW VEGAS yet seem to have learned nothing from that game and have done the entire opposite of New Vegas. All the dialogue is just people trying to say funny lines with no real joke, characters are one dimensional and boring, the whole game looks ugly, the models look ugly and the combat mechanics are worse than Fallout 4.

Reddit the game

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
omething I find lacking in this game is the opening hook. A mad scientist frees you from a derelict spaceship, rambles about how the Board is bad, then sends you planetside to get a ship.

...Why do I need a ship? Weren't we just on the scientist's ship? Why should I care about the Board?

Compare this to New Vegas where you're robbed, shot in the head and buried alive before you wake up at Doc Mitchell's. Who is that guy in the checkered suit? Where did he go? What's up with that Platinum Chip, and why did he steal it? I want to get it back, get answers and have my revenge, damnit! :argh:

TOW doesn’t quite have a main quest the same way the first half of New Vegas does. It branches much earlier. Mad scientist’s ship is damaged in the opening cut scene and he tells you he’s on the run so he needs a proxy. He wants you to help him find the supplies he needs to revive your fellow frozen colonists.

But that’s not necessarily the main quest. Once you get the ship, you can immediately turn Wells in and start working for the board. In New Vegas you need to find Benny and get the chip back to progress the story. In TOW, you get a chance to take sides much earlier.

I would’ve preferred a cleaner hook, too, but I can appreciate what they’re trying to do in terms of player choice.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It’s bad in relation to what it was hyped up to be and what I expected from Cain and Boyarsky / Obsidian. 65/100, by most scales used to rate games, is fairly mediocre.

No dude, 50 is mediocre, because 50 is right in the middle of the scaling between 0 and 100, thats the obvious implication since a mediocre game is supposed to be neither good or bad. A 65 can be considered above average, almost good. Your letting IGN teach you how to give scores to videogames.

If it was really 50, he wouldn't have finished the game in two days. 65 sounds about right.

McPlusle

Savant
Is the first world just a poor initial impression or does it set the entire game's general formula?

Prime Junta

I’m giving up on this. It’s just too banal. It was worth the dollar and few hours I put in it, but the joke has worn paper thin, I can’t bring myself to care the least bit about anything or anyone in the game as it’s all more artificial than Auntie Cleo’s best, and the leveled mechanics pretty much guarantee that I’ve seen all there is to see about the pew-pew-pew too. Can’t face the idea of many more hours of grind running errands that don’t interest me for characters that might as well be quest vending machines, all while hauling mountains of identical junk to actual vending machines to keep up with the Joneses.

Farewell Obsidian, I loved thee well, but we have grown too far apart. Finally handing in my fan card there too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Finished the first area. I think people who said that choice has an obvious "good" path were mistaken, which makes me question their shitposting on the rest. Both options have pretty bad downsides, and if you side with what the "OMG IT'S ALL SJW LOOK" called the obvious "good woman" then she basically says she expects to say fuck 'em all and let 'em starve to the townsfolk. I sided with her because I like to do chaotic good runs first, a Dirty Harry style anarchist, but she made me want to burn both towns to the ground.

Game's limitations definitely showing themselves more as I go, but still enjoying it very much. Doesn't seem New Vegas caliber, but also can't imagine liking that game and not liking this one. We'll see if my opinion changes though.

The obviously good choice is siding with the town and then putting the granny in charge...

Farewell Obsidian, I loved thee well, but we have grown too far apart. Finally handing in my fan card there too.
Took the words right of my mouth and passed it through an absurdity filter.

I am so tired with Obsidian, I have to actively ignore their world building to enjoy their games. I was someone who used to savor every line of dialogue, talk to every npc, do every quest etc., and i'm reduced to RPing as a maniac literally named "The Haircut Authority" to have "fun". Consider my fan-card handed in as well. They peaked with New Vegas.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Vicar Max - Megan Starks
SAM - Megan Starks

Quick guys, delete your posts where you said Vicar Max was the best written companion. You didn't know you were supposed to hate him when you wrote that, it's okay.
He is pretty much the best written one,doesn't mean that is particularly good writing,it just speak volume to how shit the other writers are.

They peaked with New Vegas.
Peaked? Am I really that due to give NV another chance? The mechanics bugged the hell out of me (that's obviously less on them and more on the base they built upon) but if it's that good...
I doubt i can be objective about FNV, but i'll say this: I recently played FNV after an 8 year gap... and it still was fucking great. In fact, my appreciation of that game only grew with my latest playthrough. I think if you are not a fan of the Fallout franchise as a whole, its flaws will be more evident, but then again, i haven't found a flaw that i can't fix with mods as of yet.

Prime Junta

Peaked? Am I really that due to give NV another chance? The mechanics bugged the hell out of me (that's obviously less on them and more on the base they built upon) but if it's that good...

FONV is the peak Obsidian game because it does really well what Obsidian is supposed to do well (worldbuilding, factions, C&C, writing in general) without falling on its face in areas where they tend to screw up (bugs, jank, gameplay, mechanics). It also has tons of character and isn’t afraid to go deep into very dark territory if it’s justified by the setting or characters.

Yosharian

Arcane
They peaked with New Vegas.
I doubt i can be objective about FNV, but i'll say this: I recently played FNV after an 8 year gap... and it still was fucking great. In fact, my appreciation of that game only grew with my latest playthrough. I think if you are not a fan of the Fallout franchise as a whole, its flaws will be more evident, but then again, i haven't found a flaw that i can't fix with mods as of yet.
I mean, the main flaw is Gamebryo

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom