Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Overlord games

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Writing is done mostly by Rhianna Pratchett, Terry Pratchett's daughter.
There are some really nice gems in them, but overall they are good for what they are.
:M

Lesifoere

Liturgist
They're ehhhhhh. I tried to like the first game, and the second even, but it's ehhhhhhh. The gameplay is, not to mince words, fucking shit. Poorly ported and doesn't adjust well to mouse/keyboard control. Trying to direct your minions anywhere is always an exercise in masochism.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
They're shit. The cartoon variety of evil isn't even remotely funny - they should've done a grimdark realistic take on the whole thing. Rape and pillage villages and sacrifice the firstborns on an unholy altar for xp, yeah!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
first is definitely better than second, but I still wouldn't call it a very good game. The demo is pretty representative of the final product, but with less clusterfuck.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Bought them a year or so ago on another sale. Played the first, part of the second, haven't gotten back. They're enjoyable for what they are -- mostly comedic effect. The game play is pretty awful/basic and you're mostly just spam mouse clicking. There really is no great strategy or thought required. I believe the first one is $1.50 -- I'd go ahead and get that, it's basically a 30 hour-ish long movie.

Silellak

Cipher
Lesifoere said:
They're ehhhhhh. I tried to like the first game, and the second even, but it's ehhhhhhh. The gameplay is, not to mince words, fucking shit. Poorly ported and doesn't adjust well to mouse/keyboard control.
Not sure it has anything to do with a poor port...the gameplay was pretty shitty even with a gamepad.

The first one is one of the few games I never bothered to finish. Needless to say, I didn't even bother with the second.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
As a somewhat related aside I'll give a plug to Nation Red that's also on sale -- $3.40 (or $2.50 in a 4 pack). It's just a basic isometric/top-down zombie shooter without levels or anything (there are 'missions' but they're just timed survival maps) just a half-dozen or so suvival maps with leveling, perks (buffs/bonuses), etc. That said the developers give the game a ton of support and are going to be implementing 'classes' to a streamlined extent in the next few weeks. There is 2-4 player online co-op, too. If you like the genre, it's probably one of the better buys in the sale.

sparrowtm

Insert Disk 22
Developer
The first one is a fun little game, if you´re willing to put up with consolidated (hurhur) controls and visuals.

Multi-headed Cow

NATION RED OWNS BROS I AGREE WITH METRO BRO BUY IT I've got 20 hours on that damn game.

It starts out quite charming, with the visuals and voices and little imps and things... But it will get repetitive for sure and there are these moments that will frustrate you to all hell because of how unrelated to your input as a player they are. It is very clearly a console port, and it seems to want to emulate games like dungeon keeper a bit, but I wouldn't believe it does anything better than any other game.

If you want some light hearted, hour-at-a-time, repetitive, basically casual-style playing then go for it. If you want depth and high quality mechanics then I would pass.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
A couple of nice pick-ups in this latest steam sale.

I got Dead Space for $7.50! - very nice
Batman AA GOTY for $13 (or so) - whoa!
Both L4D's for 10 bucks each.

and now, after reading Metro and the irradiated cow's posts.... I think I'll go pick up Nation Red.

Gonna be all zombied out by the end of this halloween.... :smug:

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Its a FUN Game if you like pikim type games.

It is a fun game, but a bit flawed.
Only thing is get a controller to lost in and the game becomes a million times better then the keyboard/mouse combo.

Because it will go from hard and annoying to control to easy and intuitive.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Mouse and keyboard aren't that bad. Would it be better with a controller? Probably, but you can get by. I think the only place were it can get really frustrating is in the 'Raising Hell' expansion content but, honestly, I don't even think that's worth buying. As dirt cheap as it is in the sale the base game is $1.25 and the expansion alone is twice that and really doesn't add that much in the way of interesting content. It's just more of the same and a few items which are fairly worthless.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
the only enjoyable thing in overlord is watching your minions pick up and outfit themselves with stuff, which gets old rather fast.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Silellak said:
Lesifoere said:
They're ehhhhhh. I tried to like the first game, and the second even, but it's ehhhhhhh. The gameplay is, not to mince words, fucking shit. Poorly ported and doesn't adjust well to mouse/keyboard control.
Not sure it has anything to do with a poor port...the gameplay was pretty shitty even with a gamepad.

The first one is one of the few games I never bothered to finish. Needless to say, I didn't even bother with the second.

Oh. Well, I stand corrected. The controls and gameplay are just flat-out shitty no matter what, then.

DemonKing

Arcane
The first game is considerably better than the second in terms of level design and variety, but as others have stated the core gameplay can get a bit repetitive.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Lesifoere said:
They're ehhhhhh. I tried to like the first game, and the second even, but it's ehhhhhhh. The gameplay is, not to mince words, fucking shit. Poorly ported and doesn't adjust well to mouse/keyboard control. Trying to direct your minions anywhere is always an exercise in masochism.
I got the original Overlord a long time ago and this is me exactly. I really wanted to like it but the gameplay was just dull (and also poorly ported).

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
kingcomrade said:
Lesifoere said:
I got the original Overlord a long time ago and this is me exactly. I really wanted to like it but the gameplay was just dull (and also poorly ported).

But you don't like any thing

Hobo Elf

Arcane
CrimsonAngel said:
kingcomrade said:
Lesifoere said:

But you don't like any thing

But he really wants to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom