Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ye, X release games have been a huge meh.

Ordered mine today. Should get it 30/12.
Atleast Medium should be out by then. Looking at my app it lists 611 games combined with owned and gamepass so its not like I dont have anything to play.

PS5 is gonna have to wait a year or two till Tsushima and Demon Souls get into that PS Hits list and are purchasable for 19.99.
Cant really justify it now with these new game prices. Maybe if you're one of those that plays 2-3 games a year but for me its a no deal in current state.

Falksi

Arcane
But to people who know their stuff and have money, the Xbox is way less ideal, i have genuinely seen people that made PC rigs that cost them 3000 dollars or more wondering about this, and they never consider "Maybe people just don't want to spend more than 500 dollars on a gaming platform that will run everything available to it?" because why should them, they clearly have more money than poorfags.

This idea you need a $3,000 PC is silly shit meant to make consoles seem like even more of a value than they actually are. You could build a $1,000 PC tomorrow that will compete with the Series X its whole lifespan. Is $1,000 twice as much as the console? Yes. Is it $3,000? No. Also if you simply wait a year or two, you can use that same $1,000 to blow away the Series X in every way, and we likely will barely see any real "next-gen" games that whole time anyway.

Throw in the fact you have to pay for online with consoles, and that a lot of people likely get more than one console or get a "pro" version later, and the price savings really isn't as massive as people act like it is. The real thing consoles have over PC is convenience. Plug in an HDMI cord to your television and plop down on the couch and go. Come home from work, hit a button and start playing in two seconds. That's the appeal of consoles.

Spot on. It is fucking nuts that for me to get a proper console experience nowadays, I boot up the PC and run emulators.

I fucking hate my PS4, simply because 90% of the time it's trying to do a poor imitation of a PC.

Azdul

Magister
Ray tracing isn't a gimmick and it won't go away like a fad, that doesn't make any sense. It's a demanding graphical advancement that isn't really worth it right now, but that doesn't mean it has no future or use.
Current game engines are mostly smoke and mirrors, both literally (lines of code), and figuratively. All the neat tricks invented over the years to approximate light behavior do not work well together - and that's why rasterization is slowly reaching end of its potential.

Many effects need to be manually placed and prerendered - so level geometry and diffused lightning needs to be static. No physical simulation for large objects, or time of day / weather changes - or everything will start looking 'wrong'.

In AAA productions where player moves through predetermined path (Last of Us, Uncharted, Order 1886) - you can get away with rasterization, and hundreds of designers touching up every object along the way, and still look stunning. But in Minecraft or Fortnite - where players modify the geometry - some advanced graphical effects either need to be done through ray tracing - or disabled.

User was nabbed fit

Playing Astro's Playroom on the PS5 (comes free with every console), and it's a pretty refreshing breath of fresh air. Makes great use of the haptic feedback on the DualSense controller.

astros-playroom-ps5_49996615532_o_jpg_1024x768_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

Consoles will never be a replacement for PC gaming, but they've got that chill vibe experience going for them, and the PS5 nails it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Took a look at two Swedish sites: Blocket and Tradera. PS5s are selling for an average of $1000. Scalpers are having a field day.

IceyD

Scholar
Launch hype is a lot of fun but there's really not much to play at the moment. I finished DeS and now I'm playin 13 Sentinels, a PS4 title.

The PS Plus Collection is a crazy value though, if you haven't played those titles yet.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Launch hype is a lot of fun but there's really not much to play at the moment. I finished DeS and now I'm playin 13 Sentinels, a PS4 title.

The PS Plus Collection is a crazy value though, if you haven't played those titles yet.
I guess a lot of PS4 games are worth it thanks to better performance. 13 Sentinels is one such game. Ys IX is another one with a big performance boost.

Covid-19 fucked up the launch of many games.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'm not a big hardware expert but is it true that the ps5's gpu is better than a 2070 super? I just brought one early this year in hopes of being set for awhile but hearing this news kinda bums me out considering I paid more for the GPU than what a non-scalped PS5 costs.

Teraflops aren't everything. For example, a GTX 1080 has more teraflops than an RTX 2070, however the RTX 2070 is far superior in game performance. Like, by quite a large degree. Architecture improvements do matter. Your RTX 2070 Super is comparable overall to the PS5 GPU (probably better than the PS5 when it comes down to brute force), plus you get the exta benefit of complete freedom to customize your gaming experience to your strict tastes, which is not possible on console. You can't even remap buttons on console unless the devs allow it; considering I am a huge fan of control scheme customization on a per-game basis I'm happy enough to pay the PC tax just for that liberty.

There is simply no comparison to being able to play a game exactly how you want to play it, at the refresh rate you want, at the fps target you want, with the fps cap you want, with the exact ultra-autistic control scheme that you want to use, at the resolution you want, with the settings exactly how you want and modified via .ini files, while ALT-tabbing between the game and shoutbox.

There is nothing that can compare to that game playing freedom. As any PC gamer will tell you: tweaking the games is usually more fun than playing them.

Also, the other thing to keep in mind is that consoles don't target Ultra settings or "4k native" either, whereas on PC you have complete freedom to customize your refresh rate, your target frame-rate and/or fps cap, and all sorts of other graphical settings. Watch Dogs: Legion on the PS5 uses lower-than-low settings for the RTX features and medium/high equivalent settings for the other graphical options, coupled with a horrible 30fps frame cap that produces judder because apparently it's actually capped to 31fps under the hood, whereas on PC you can pick and choose the settings and the target frame rate, for example using your RTX 2070 super to play the game without RTX reflections but at 100fps if you want, something you would not be able to do on the console version of the game, or go for a custom 50Hz refresh rate and lock the game to 50fps instead and play with some RTX reflections on medium and the other graphical options on Ultra, etc.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Also, the other thing to keep in mind is that consoles don't target Ultra settings or "4k native" either, whereas on PC you have complete freedom to customize your refresh rate, your target frame-rate and/or fps cap, and all sorts of other graphical settings. Watch Dogs: Legion on the PS5 uses lower-than-low settings for the RTX features and medium/high equivalent settings for the other graphical options, coupled with a horrible 30fps frame cap that produces judder because apparently it's actually capped to 31fps under the hood, whereas on PC you can pick and choose the settings and the target frame rate, for example using your RTX 2070 super to play the game without RTX reflections but at 100fps if you want, something you would not be able to do on the console version of the game, or go for a custom 50Hz refresh rate and lock the game to 50fps instead and play with some RTX reflections on medium and the other graphical options on Ultra, etc.

Yeah, this is something that always annoys me about my fellow PC gamers. They don't understand that consoles tend to run at much lower settings, it's not all about resolution. Everyone is like "Red Dead 2 runs at 4k native on Xbox One X but my 1080 can barely run it!!!" Yes it runs in 4k on the Xbox One X, but it also runs at 30fps and low-medium, sometimes LOWER than PC's low, settings. If you match console settings in games like Watch Dogs, you'll have no problem running them on a mid-range rig. But people want ULLLLTRAAA SETTINGS, because human nature I guess. Ubisoft are the worst too, their ultra settings are never optimized well at all. First thing to do in an Ubisoft game is try out very high, not ultra, then lower where you need to.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Yeah, this is something that always annoys me about my fellow PC gamers. They don't understand that consoles tend to run at much lower settings, it's not all about resolution. Everyone is like "Red Dead 2 runs at 4k native on Xbox One X but my 1080 can barely run it!!!" Yes it runs in 4k on the Xbox One X, but it also runs at 30fps and low-medium, sometimes LOWER than PC's low, settings. If you match console settings in games like Watch Dogs, you'll have no problem running them on a mid-range rig. But people want ULLLLTRAAA SETTINGS, because human nature I guess. Ubisoft are the worst too, their ultra settings are never optimized well at all. First thing to do in an Ubisoft game is try out very high, not ultra, then lower where you need to.
Finally someone said this. 100% agree, people advocating that consoles run the game better for cheaper forget that you can match the same level of quality with mid-low level PCs. Because console graphics are not as detailed. And on that level, the cost adventage of consoles disappear.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I asked the kids in my class what they wanted for Christmas. The majority wanted a PS5, and some wanted an Xbox Series X. One girl already has a release PS5. When the boys found out, they went nuts. These things are going to fly off shelves, left and right.

Consoles are not only about price. It's their ease of use. Most people just want to start their console and boot up their games. No fiddling, no thinking. Easy to communicate with your friends. No hassle. Of over 400 kids in the school I work at, I know that at least 200 of them own a console. Those who choose to play on computer play, Minecraft, Roblox or Fortnite.

I like to buy new parts for my PC, and upgrade it. Fiddle with settings, ini. files and modding, but 100's of millions of people don't. That's why consoles is an easy sell.

Azdul

Magister
These things are going to fly off shelves, left and right.
This year everything is an easy sell. Try to find Geforce 30??, or Radeon 6800, or Ryzen 5???, or even electric guitar - everything is sold out.

Consoles are not only about price. It's their ease of use. Most people just want to start their console and boot up their games. No fiddling, no thinking. Easy to communicate with your friends. No hassle.
I believe Sony strategy is outdated. You need to buy a console, than buy games, and for the right console, and then attach credit card and pay for online - it's all so confusing and so much hassle.

In few years it will be just Game Pass, that runs (or streams) games selected by Microsoft / Amazon / Google, on any hardware for a flat subscription fee.

I wonder if backward compatibility was introduced because parents couldn't get the difference between original Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox One S, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. And how many parents / grandparents bought the game for Playstation, just not for the Playstation with the right number at the end.

Venser

Erudite

TL;DW:
  • SoC (CPU/GPU) temperatures are probably in the 75-80 degree range, most likely fine.
  • Memory runs very hot, at 95 degrees!
  • Voltage regulators run at an ok but not great temperature, around 70 degrees.
  • Panels on are hotter than panels off, by as much as 5 degrees in some cases
  • Console takes a while to cool after shutdown, faster if the panels are off.
  • Huge, high-powered fan that could move a lot of air provided a proper fan curve.
  • Memory heat dissipation design is poor, relying on the steel board cover to remove heat.
  • Consumed roughly 210W during gaming, idle draw is 100w.
  • Noise levels are relatively quiet compared to standard PC components.
  • Fan has a gradual ramp down after closing a game and returning to the menu.
  • Fan is very powerful, but doesn't run fast. Thermals seem to have been sacrificed for noise.

Last edited:
Was wondering to myself today while thinking about getting 13 Sentinels how long the PS4 (and I guess Xbox One) will run into this new generation. It's basically an inevitability that the PS4 will go a few years into the PS5, after all you still had some stuff like MGSV coming out for the 360 and PS3 towards the end of 2015 despite the new stuff having come out at the end of 2013 in November. But the PS4 has sold a lot more than the 360 and PS4, it's one of the best selling consoles there is...and the PS5 can still play PS4 games, so you still have a PS4 user install base with the PS5. Makes me wonder if it won't last something like twice as long. I mean, there's probably a lot of smaller Japanese developers like Atlus (they released Persona 5 on the PS3 in Japan in 2016) and such that'd be perfectly happy staying with the thing that's cheaper to make games for; and since the Switch is pretty big there's still going to be a number of third party developers makes stuff for that less powerful hardware too.

I'm thinking the tail to the PS4 will be longer than we've ever seen it before. Especially since it sounds like Japan isn't exactly jumping to get these new systems, and may not be for a while.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom