Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The rumors of Obsidians death have been greatly exaggerated!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Ever seen? Are you stalking me? I am sure that I don't know or have ever seen you? So, when have you seen me, and who are you so I can report you to the police. Thanks!

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
you live in quebec and your french, that means there's 1.4million retards exactly like you running around.

i seen your kind so i seen you.

Elzair

Cipher
RE: Arcanum Combat

Jedi_Learner said:
Planescape Torment and Fallout. Last RPG I played and enjoyed was The Witcher, even if I didn't give it a high score.

It is funny you damn Obsidian and Troika while praising Black Isle considering they are made up of mostly the same people.

Monocause said:
FeelTheRads said:
Yes, even Arcanum had better combat than The Witcher

You a masochist? Combat in Arcanum was broken. TW had a lot of missed potential in the combat department and fe. it could do miles better if it had Revenant (anyone remembers the game?) style combat. Still, even the tutorial fights in TW where you had only one attack were much more enjoyable than Arcanum combat.

Personally, I never saw a problem with Arcanum's combat. Yes, real-time combat was impossible; it was clearly a feature added solely to satisfy a demand by the publisher (I remember hearing about this in some interview). However, turn-based combat was the emphasis, and I think they pulled it off pretty well IMO.

NOTE: Most of my Arcanum experiences were with my fighter character; I never tried a technologist, and I remember my magic character being somewhat harder to play, but that is not unusual.

Arcanum's turn-based combat was not strictly slower than that featured in any other turn-based game. Personally, even the standard TB combat felt faster than the Fallout games. If you use the 'Fast Turn-Based' option, battles would go by much quicker.

Regarding Witcher vs. Arcanum, I think it is a very apples-to-oranges comparison, but I liked Arcanum's combat better. Witcher's combos took some getting used to, and it was a shame that only two weapons (really one weapon with two verions) were actually useful. Also, I don't remember allied NPCs being much help in a fight (other than as a distraction).

In Arcanum, the NPCs do make a difference (at least for me). The AI seems pretty intelligent (at least it doesn't do too much dumb stuff). Virgil will heal party members when they need healing, and party members do not seem to use uber powers against weak foes. Arcanum also has various monsters with unusual properties. All the rock monsters, for instance, seriously degrade your weapons with every hit, so it is best to use gauntlets when fighting them. Arcanum also has more varied options for controlling NPCs. Using the Function keys, you can tell party members to wait at a location, follow you, attack the highlighted creature, and more. This strategy can seriously help out in tough fights by allowing you to lure lone monsters to where your party members are waiting to gang up on it. I used this strategy extensively in the Portal fights and the Lord of the Damned fight.

Monocause said:
As to the 'better story and writing' - that's prone to discussion. I finished TW being engrossed in the story while during all of my Arcanum attempts I got to Qintarra and couldn't make myself to continue with the game. Yes, I never finished the game.
Honestly, I never finished either game. I got distracted by newer games, although I plan to finish both of them. I will say that Arcanum's story starts off a little slow, but it does pick up steam after a while.

Darth Roxor said:
I'd rather take Witcher's combat that is fast and pleasant for the eye, than Arcanum's that is fucking awful (both turn-based and real time), slow as fuck as turn-based and too damn fucking fast (with skeleton machinegunners) as real time, with buttfuck fugly animations and being a general frustratingly bland and boring chore.

Did you try "Fast Turn-Based"? It goes by pretty fast since the movement animations are taken out and I think the combat animations may be sped up. The limiting factor is the speed of the player.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"It is funny you damn Obsidian and Troika while praising Black Isle considering they are made up of mostly the same people."

No. Unless your defintion of 'mostly' is weird.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Volourn said:
Hilariously funny, BEAN. L0LZ & R00fles!
lol your not helping yourself, fucking pea soup frog piece of shit, you fucked up 1 province good job!

your so retarded i bet you live in montreal

MetalCraze

Arcane
Re: RE: Arcanum Combat

Elzair said:
It is funny you damn Obsidian and Troika while praising Black Isle considering they are made up of mostly the same people.

I wish Obsidian had at least 1/10 of the "same" people. Maybe in that case they wouldn't make such crap.
Oh look it got Avellone, Sawyer and Urquhart who don't really develop games there - mostly of the same people my ass (well ok Avellone does something in the writing department but so far both of his games where he has/had active role look like garbage - that's KotOR2 and AP)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"lol your not helping yourself, fucking pea soup frog piece of shit, you fucked up 1 province good job!

your so retarded i bet you live in montreal"

R00fles!

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted

skyway said:
Elzair said:

I wish Obsidian had at least 1/10 of the "same" people. Maybe in that case they wouldn't make such crap.
Oh look it got Avellone, Sawyer and Urquhart who don't really develop games there - mostly of the same people my ass (well ok Avellone does something in the writing department but so far both of his games where he has/had active role look like garbage - that's KotOR2 and AP)
obsidian sucks

Elzair

Cipher
NWN

Micormic said:
NWN1 was better then 2 but it still sucked

ROFL! Are you kidding? The NWN1 OC was a godawful piece of shit! NWN2's campaign, despite all its faults, is still leagues better than that garbage. The only things that makes NWN1 playable are the extensive modules.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Re: NWN

Elzair said:
Micormic said:

ROFL! Are you kidding? The NWN1 OC was a godawful piece of shit! NWN2's campaign, despite all its faults, is still leagues better than that garbage. The only things that makes NWN1 playable are the extensive modules.
No. Faggot no one cares about you follower fanboy

as volourn says "R00fles!"

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Re: NWN

Micormic said:
Elzair said:
Micormic said:

No. Faggot no one cares about you follower fanboy

as volourn says "R00fles!"

Fanboy bashing fanboy! R00fles! :roll:

St. Toxic

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
I'd rather take Witcher's combat that is fast and pleasant for the eye, than Arcanum's that is fucking awful (both turn-based and real time), slow as fuck as turn-based and too damn fucking fast (with skeleton machinegunners) as real time, with buttfuck fugly animations and being a general frustratingly bland and boring chore.

Considering that TW is made up of combat and little else (well, you could always try beating the game by picking flowers and gambling, I don't know) I'd take the handful of forced combat situations from Arcanum over TW's combat centered bullshit any day of the week.

But then, I also never really saw the problem with Arcanum's combat system. You could abuse combat initiation fairly well, and it could also be used against you if you weren't expecting it, but, other than that, it was functional enough as a means to an end. Realtime was clusterfuck useful only in situations where you outmatch your opponent completely, and the TB, apart from initiation, worked pretty gut. Animations be damned.

Lastly, TW is a frustatingly bland and boring chore, en allé.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I completed Arcanum in Fast-TB mode and while it was quite twitchy it was much more pleasing than TW's "click with the same interval only when we allow you while trying not to fell asleep and you must click in time". The only problem with Arcanum combat I had is the balance and companion AI which aren't really related to combat mechanics.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
St. Toxic said:
Darth Roxor said:

Considering that TW is made up of combat and little else (well, you could always try beating the game by picking flowers and gambling, I don't know) I'd take the handful of forced combat situations from Arcanum over TW's combat centered bullshit any day of the week.

But then, I also never really saw the problem with Arcanum's combat system. You could abuse combat initiation fairly well, and it could also be used against you if you weren't expecting it, but, other than that, it was functional enough as a means to an end. Realtime was clusterfuck useful only in situations where you outmatch your opponent completely, and the TB, apart from initiation, worked pretty gut. Animations be damned.

Lastly, TW is a frustatingly bland and boring chore, en allé.
A surprisingly good overview.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
People who complain about the camera in NWN2 should be kicked in the goddamned balls. It's the same fucking camera as NWN. Where the fuck were all of these picky critics when that game came out? It's not Obsidian's fault that the engine they were handed sucked major ass totally incapable of anything but small blocky copy-and-paste areas. They fucked up the interface for NWN2, but it was still better than any Bioware interface since Kotor. The interface for NWN2 at launch is still a wet dream compared to the "improved for the PC" interface for Mass Effect. NWN was an absolutely wretched game and the only thing that redeemed it was Hordes of the Underdark and some of the premium mods like Kingmaker.

Re: Arcanum. The game did have pretty dull and repetitive combat, but Troika redeemed themselves more with ToEE and Vampire.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Having Arcanum on fast TB didn't help a lot either. It only skipped the walking animations, but when you had a looking glass rifle (speed: 6) it still was as fast as a slug.

And please don't make me mention the retarded hit percentages (having 140% hit chance and not hitting 5 times in a row is superfun), fucking screwed balance (Oh, hey, welcome to the Void, where you meet 7 undead knights in every area, while each of them has 4 attacks per round that can instagib each of your characters!), fights being bland as hell (lookie here, BMC mines (have fun wasting bullets and weapon durability on ore golems that don't want to die every 5 seconds) , Thanatos (have fun shooting mobs of shitty gorillas every five seconds) and Vendigroth (have fun shooting mobs of shitty dryders every 5 seconds) ) and stupid companion AI (yes Virgil, try to use heal minour wounds on my 100% technologist that has 60% hp instead of attacking the monster that will die in one hit).

MetalCraze

Arcane
doctor_kaz said:
People who complain about the camera in NWN2 should be kicked in the goddamned balls. It's the same fucking camera as NWN.

No, sorry. Camera in NWN was terrible but still better - iirc the game made walls invisible rather than moving the camera right into your face when there was an obstacle in its line of sight.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
skyway said:
doctor_kaz said:
People who complain about the camera in NWN2 should be kicked in the goddamned balls. It's the same fucking camera as NWN.

No, sorry. Camera in NWN was terrible but still better - iirc the game made walls invisible rather than moving the camera right into your face when there was an obstacle in its line of sight.

Wrong. NWN zoomed the camera up into your face if you were back against a wall. I can't tell you how many times I walked out of one area into another and found the camera two inches from my face.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
doctor_kaz said:
skyway said:
doctor_kaz said:

Wrong. NWN zoomed the camera up into your face if you were back against a wall. I can't tell you how many times I walked out of one area into another and found the camera two inches from my face.
because your a retard and cant adjust it

faggot LOL

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Micormic said:
doctor_kaz said:
skyway said:
doctor_kaz said:

because your a retard and cant adjust it

faggot LOL

I did adjust it. Just like I adjusted the camera in NWN2. I didn't have a problem with the camera in either game.

felicity

Scholar
The camera auto zoom in/out when you're moving/panning around slopped terrain. Very annoying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom