Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Troop - Tactical Turn Based Platoon Level WW2 game

Turn_BASED

Educated
germanywins.png

Total British Death. Roundhouse kick a Churchill into the concrete. Slam dunk a crumpet into the trash can. Defecate in a Bren's food. Crucify filthy blacks.

Awesome game, just one question..anybody know how close you need to be to use the infantry Anti-Tank weapons effectively? I know you need to select them in the unit boxes, but then I am aiming at tank and it is 2 or 3 hexes away and it will show 40% to hit or something and when I fire it will hit the tank with a bunch of machine gun fire and I don't think it uses the AT weapon at all..some board games you need to be one hex away only, but I am not sure the distance of the hexes and this is 1944 and the germans had some that could sometimes be effective at about 90 to 100 yards I think, so I don't really know how close to get or how to tell if the % to hit it is showing me is actually for the AT part of the infantry groups weapon. Maybe I need to be one hex away like a lot of games?

Anybody know? Is there a Manual? I have not seen one..

Edit: Duh, I am stupid..I figured it out..forget it..

Last edited:

Turn_BASED

Educated
Awesome game, just one question..anybody know how close you need to be to use the infantry Anti-Tank weapons effectively? I know you need to select them in the unit boxes, but then I am aiming at tank and it is 2 or 3 hexes away and it will show 40% to hit or something and when I fire it will hit the tank with a bunch of machine gun fire and I don't think it uses the AT weapon at all..some board games you need to be one hex away only, but I am not sure the distance of the hexes and this is 1944 and the germans had some that could sometimes be effective at about 90 to 100 yards I think, so I don't really know how close to get or how to tell if the % to hit it is showing me is actually for the AT part of the infantry groups weapon. Maybe I need to be one hex away like a lot of games?

You can also ruin a tank’s day with regular grenades. If you get two infantry units right next to the tank, you can basically lock it down and keep nading until it’s destroyed. Even one infantry unit can achieve this sometimes.

You can also ruin a tank’s day with regular grenades. If you get two infantry units right next to the tank, you can basically lock it down and keep nading until it’s destroyed. Even one infantry unit can achieve this sometimes.
I just did that last night, took out a light tank using a grenade attack, critical kill hit or whatever it says...was able to save my tank gun's attack for a larger tank that was in it's scope and range as well.... Was nice.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cool, this is out. It has looked good for years. Time to pull the trigger.
Well? Any good?
I've only had a chance to play the tutorial and 3-4 of the scenarios so far. Each scenario is one standalone map where you get a set of units and a goal to accomplish. The first ones are really easy and practically an extension of the tutorial, so I couldn't judge the game based on those, but the core gameplay seems like it could be a lot of fun.

For me it'll likely come down to the quality of the campaign mode, whether it manages to tie individual engagements together in a cohesive way and make unit advancement and the results of battles meaningful. So far I have no idea about that.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1363740/view/3875975012111521925
Battlegroup Update
New game mode available
- Battlegroup mode
- New Story scenario: "Purge"
- Restart mission feature (campaign, Battlegroup)
- German language option
- AI fixes re tabletop bocage rule set
- Armour values restored to unit stats
- "Here They Come" scenario German difficulty adjustment
- Player reinforcements timing fix
- Increased AI deployment variation
- Cloud saves
- "Quick Move" gameplay optional feature
- Soft skinned transport vehicles force morale penalties
- Various Bug fixes and small improvements

std::namespace

got it and saw for myself, its extremely questionable

tank combat consists of rolling a 50/50 die and a lot of prayer
IFlNBGV.jpeg

i missed...

got hit on enemy turn and died, my last tank too
QV4R10q.jpeg

won the scenario because i still captured the building

weird victory condition considering 4 stugs are raping you

i larped and took scout cars, mortars, and only 2 tanks
i get the feeling, that nothing but tanks matters

what r u fugn retards disagreeing about again?

proof is in the pudding, i just went full retard and picked tanks only and overwhelming firepower completely annihilates resistance
houses with meat are not a problem at all
1NIyoST.jpeg

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
The game is great, you are just being a nigger.
He's not. Developers have a duty to make their games not a trivial cake walk through cheese strats. One of the worst things about the TB tactics genre is that players always have to give themselves a laundry list of restrictions to make the game challenging at all.

Dayyālu

Arcane
what r u fugn retards disagreeing about again?

I'll admit that The Troop does not work well with Skirmish mode.... handmade mission campaigns is where the game shines. Sad to say, almost the entirety of the skirmish/randomgen campaigns have an AI that can't deal with initial setup (the tactical AI is very good though, lots of neat tricks) and that makes it a cakewalk. They should have focused even more on handmade content, but the basic campaign is already 20+ hours long and playable both sides, so I should not complain.

I wonder what you'll think of the last missions on the British side, they have amusing divertissements for those that rush tanks. Or hell, even the majority of the town attack missions.

game is utter trash, as i predicted after playing 1 scenario

I. nothing but tanks matter, everything else is pointless garbage
any points you spend on not-tanks is idiotic waste, tanks are invincible, so you need to counter tanks with tanks
all other units are made out of wet tissue paper

II. enemy tank ai is a moronic driver
it behaves in retarded ways, it tries to create an illusion of intelligence but just makes itself look idiotic,
jagdpanthers will reverse and try to hide behind buildings for no reason, same with other tanks
will also fire on soldiers in buildings instead of vs other tanks
will present sides for no reason i could find

III. its an hilariously retarded RNG fest
screenshot just proves it, you either roll RNG kills or you get killed,
i lost the third scenario but missing 3 40% shots and 1 tank and it killed 2 of mine - game over LOOOOOOl
oh and random enemy reinforcements just fucking spawing on map edge and getting insta turn = fuck you morons

(iv) victory conditions are imbecilic
moral failure has no relation to fucking units on the field or in reserve
goals are shit

(v) shit ui
i cant tell my cth before i click and rotate the gun... GREAT FUCKING IDEA

thats 7! burning panthers, ive not taken in single loss!1 not because im so good but because the RNG! and the ai presenting sides and driving in circles
I LOST TEH SCENARIO AHAHAHHAHAHHA cause they drove 2 cars to 2 buildings where leftover mg soldiers were, they didnt even capture it! designer is a crayon eating moron
zFXYjtu.jpeg

i lost the 3rd scenario by RNG, 3 of my tanks fire on a stubby pz4
20yGYyw.jpeg

absolutely broken RNG gameplay
8 shots bounce of, i could have lost the scenario here and now
hyJv3xs.jpeg

imbecilic ai can deal with stuart little facetanking
xKDyVtQ.jpeg

guess what happened?
QQkvT2R.jpeg

well, he turned around 90 degrees...
Wx1sQCr.jpeg

its SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

I wonder what you'll think of the last missions on the British side, they have amusing divertissements for those that rush tanks. Or hell, even the majority of the town attack missions.
u r a retarded larper who doesnt know how to play a broken game for children
there are no arguments coming from you, only lame shit fee fees - game is broken and uninteresting
its cute for a bit to spin your turret and reverse but not being able to tell cth and turret direction in relation to the hull is another ui fail - you should be able to rotate the hull instead of the gun to get a shot sometimes - but you cant because the direction is hard to approximate

also, if troops leave a fine vehicle, it counts as a loss! shiiiiiiiiiit

here is a PROTIP for the utterly incompetent on how to deal with meat in buildings: SHOOT at them blind! lord knows you have enough turns
open hatch and just wallow at the facade, and why wouldnt you? you have unlim ammo and if you are not just fighting a tank, than a shot not fired is a shot wasted
they walked to the other side? drive your other tank to it and baam! also, the artillery tank kills them even if it lands nearby...

is this fixable? no, fundamentally the RNG making or breaking everything is a killer
its realistic but not enjoyable

Dayyālu

Arcane
u r a retarded larper who doesnt know how to play a broken game for children

You know, your spergy rants are kind of amusing.

Now do the Poland mission and post results (it's the last mission in the campaign). I mean, you're already screaming random inanities, you can amuse an old man, right?

(also that 115 losses to 256 on pseudo-random gen missions.... shit you are terrible at this, that's almost a 1 : 2 loss ratio in a mode where the AI is fighting at his worst. Are you even trying or just spamming tanks?)

Now do the Poland mission and post results (it's the last mission in the campaign). I mean, you're already screaming random inanities, you can amuse an old man, right?
as expected I SEE NO ARGUMENTS against rng, tanks or moronic ai, tard0
its already off the disk,
also i dont know what you are talking about, there is only 1 campaign, 7 missions, i finished it, last mission is 7 or 8 panthers rolling on you - its on the screenshots, those are not pseudo random gen missions... are they?
the story missions are not a campaign, there is a funny one with 4 wittmann tigers ambushing a bong convoy

biffthestiff

Educated
Maybe it's because I'm from a country not involved in WW2, but WW2 is by far the most boring, unsubscribe-on-sight game or movie setting there is. I still haven't played Silent Storm because of this.
Does this setting hit differently if you're American/German/etc?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
as expected I SEE NO ARGUMENTS against rng, tanks or moronic ai, tard0
its already off the disk,
also i dont know what you are talking about, there is only 1 campaign, 7 missions, i finished it, last mission is 7 or 8 panthers rolling on you - its on the screenshots, those are not pseudo random gen missions... are they?
the story missions are not a campaign, there is a funny one with 4 wittmann tigers ambushing a bong convoy
The whole point of RNG based tactical games is to manage risks. Also you are not supposed to engage in front fire exchanges between Panthers and Shermans. The AI giving you free flank shots is a real issue, though.
That said, I agree that tanks are too strong, because infantry is in ridiculously small units that become crippled very quickly. I only played the demo, but you have like 2 infantry half squads for 1 tank or so which seems off.
Also, very few units seem to have AT rockets(bazookas, panzerfaust). It should be one per squad in a mechanized infantry unit, and 1-2 per platoon in an infantry unit. Approaching a building held by infantry at point blank to spray machine rounds inside is much safer than it should.

The whole point of RNG based tactical games is to manage risks ... The AI giving you free flank shots is a real issue, though.
the real issue is the unmanageable rng nature of fire exchange, its literally the very first example
i "create" an ambush, shoot the tank in the flank at 55% cth, miss, get shot, die
thats 300+ deploy points gone from 1000 on the map...
i could have missed that shot 4 times in a row, no problem - there is no fucking way to hedge against this... well, there is: more tanks...

there is a map in the game, where 3 jagdpanthers are hidden around and waiting for you
if the ai was like utterly braindead and DIDNT move and just shoot, i have no idea how i would have won that...
there are like 3 turns of distance between 2 of them and you, you flank 2 of them and the moment you turn the corner and get LOS - its a die roll to die...

infantry is in ridiculously small units that become crippled very quickly
also true, i dont know how the designer didnt see that shit playing a single map once,
your 500 deploy points are 4+1 squads, any of em gets spotted once - might as well be dead
vs 2 tanks for 500 points... GEE WHAT DO I TAKE?!1

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
The whole point of RNG based tactical games is to manage risks ... The AI giving you free flank shots is a real issue, though.
the real issue is the unmanageable rng nature of fire exchange, its literally the very first example
i "create" an ambush, shoot the tank in the flank at 55% cth, miss, get shot, die
thats 300+ deploy points gone from 1000 on the map...
i could have missed that shot 4 times in a row, no problem - there is no fucking way to hedge against this... well, there is: more tanks...

there is a map in the game, where 3 jagdpanthers are hidden around and waiting for you
if the ai was like utterly braindead and DIDNT move and just shoot, i have no idea how i would have won that...
there are like 3 turns of distance between 2 of them and you, you flank 2 of them and the moment you turn the corner and get LOS - its a die roll to die...

infantry is in ridiculously small units that become crippled very quickly
also true, i dont know how the designer didnt see that shit playing a single map once,
your 500 deploy points are 4+1 squads, any of em gets spotted once - might as well be dead
vs 2 tanks for 500 points... GEE WHAT DO I TAKE?!1
You edge by playing the side with the jagdpanthers! Don't they have a very low chance of deflection against Shermans?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom