Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Series Discussion Thread

What is your favorite Ultima game?

• Total voters

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Lol. This would have been fun to see.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Apologies if there is a more recent, all encompasing Ultima thread. I only became aware of this video series today. Most likely because Ultima 3 is a favorite of mine and the youtube algorithm actually worked.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Dunno if anyone's posted this before, but the FM Towns port of the first three Ultima games has a bit of voice recording from Lord British himself:

Anyway, I messed around a bit with the first game's FM Towns port, having not played the game before. (So far this is in English outside of an intro video) I'm curious if these are emulation issues, an issue with this version or the game itself.
  • Are there really no diagonal movement options?
  • Is there really no basic talk function?
  • Is it normal for overworld enemies to be stronger than the player? Dungeon enemies are fairly simple to kill, at least near where I started.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Dunno if anyone's posted this before, but the FM Towns port of the first three Ultima games has a bit of voice recording from Lord British himself:

Anyway, I messed around a bit with the first game's FM Towns port, having not played the game before. (So far this is in English outside of an intro video) I'm curious if these are emulation issues, an issue with this version or the game itself.
  • Are there really no diagonal movement options?
  • Is there really no basic talk function?
  • Is it normal for overworld enemies to be stronger than the player? Dungeon enemies are fairly simple to kill, at least near where I started.

Well, Ultima 1-3 has no diagonal movement in any version as far as I know. Most talking (Transact) is for a simple one line response from npcs or to purchase something from merchants. Enemies vary and it has been a long bit since I played the FM-towns version. I think I noticed some planet maps in ultima 2 missing content. Usually the continent mobs were easier than dungeons in 1-2 but it might be inverted on this version. Japanese added a few monsters shared in all three games. The pazuzu demon was new. In ultima 3 you could run into mixed mobs of a type (ie, a skeleton encounter might have ghouls and zombies in it). I never got the cd quality music to run in gameplay except for intro and ending sequence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom