Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Ultimate Poll

Which company is better?

• Bethesda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bioware

• I like them equally

• They're equally terrible

• Total voters

torpid

Liturgist
This was probably done before but I don't feel like looking for it, so it's time for an answer to the one question in the back of everyone's mind: Bethesda vs. Bioware, which is better and why? :M

From BGII vs Morrowind, to lolblivion vs Derp Age, which of the two developer studios do you think has some redeeming qualities? Obviously you'll vote based on their catalogue, but you can also take future prospects into account.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I think Bioware actually tries to implement elements of good RPGs. Bethesda just rides around on horses.

ElectricOtter

Bethesda gets my vote because their games can be modded to become anywhere from mediocre to excellent. Bioware is just... Bioware.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
ElecTriCotter said:
Bethesda gets my vote because their games can be modded to become anywhere from mediocre to excellent.
No, no they can't. It may seem like they can. But they can't.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Beth's games are usually far more lulzy. Bio games are usually just boring.
Therefore, I vote Beth.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Bethesda makes shit RPG's and Bioware no longer makes RPG's. They both suck gigantic truckloads of shit.

Multi-headed Cow

Bethesda, because their games contain tasteful rape after modding, whereas Bioware games contain distasteful romances.

Plus I tend to play Bethesda games a hell of a lot longer. Even Oblivion which is their crappiest game I played a hell of a lot more than Dragon Age or Mass Effect.

Turjan

Arcane
ElecTriCotter said:
Bethesda gets my vote because their games can be modded to become anywhere from mediocre to excellent. Bioware is just... Bioware.
The Infinity engine modding scene is still alive and kicking.

That said, it's a tough question. They both have their pros and cons.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ElecTriCotter said:

Wow you really are a complete dumbfuck.

:salute:

ElectricOtter

Jaesun said:
ElecTriCotter said:

Wow you really are a complete dumbfuck.

:salute:
Perhaps a clarification? Oblivion with a shitton of mods is a mediocre game, Morrowind with a shitton of mods is a excellent game. Bioware games (with a few exceptions) just suck.

(Why do you hate me, I like you Jaesun :( )

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
ElecTriCotter said:
Perhaps a clarification? Oblivion with a shitton of mods is a mediocre game, Morrowind with a shitton of mods is a excellent game. Bioware games (with a few exceptions) just suck.
Morrowind doesn't count for current Bethesda, and Oblivion with a shitton of mods sucks more than Bioware.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I actually managed to finish some of the Bioware games I played. Can't say that much about Bethesda.
So yeah, Bioware.

Hell March

Educated
DriacKin said:
Beth's games are usually far more lulzy. Bio games are usually just boring.
Therefore, I vote Beth.

Plus, I think that Bethesda's fans provide much more comic relief than they do rage in comparison to Biowhore. Also, you should add Blizzard and Lionhead for THE ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bioware is worse.

Both Bio and Beth make shit games. Both started Blitzkrieg-Dumbdown but Beth did something they shall receive credit for - let Obsidian make new Fallout which turned out great. So in the end Beth at least allows others to make good games even though Beth itself can't make them. Bioware on the other hand just makes shit games.

Konjad said:
Bioware is worse.

Both Bio and Beth make shit games. Both started Blitzkrieg-Dumbdown but Beth did something they shall receive credit for - let Obsidian make new Fallout which turned out great. So in the end Beth at least allows others to make good games even though Beth itself can't make them. Bioware on the other hand just makes shit games.

Also, while they've published a lot of shite, they also published Call of Cthulu, which (while far from perfect) indicating a willingness to publish interesting/offbeat games.

Prior to DA and ME, I would definitely have voted Bioware. These days it's a hard call - if I can get myself to forget that Bioware ever made crpgs, and just think of DA/ME as 'action-adventure' games, then they're probably still the better developer. But as horrible as Bethesda's crpgs are, at least they are unmistakeably crpgs.

So a company that no longer makes crpgs (but does okay action-adventure games) v a company that does atrociously bad crpgs.

I vote Kingcomrade.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Azrael the cat said:
Also, while they've published a lot of shite, they also published Call of Cthulu, which (while far from perfect) indicating a willingness to publish interesting/offbeat games.
Yeah, Bioware is shit for not publishing interesting games.

Oh wait, they're not publishers.

I'm saving up my vote until Skyrim gets released. Current status: They're equally terrible.
ME3 is irrelevant because Compadre Shepadre saves the universe again.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
SimpleComplexity said:
ME3 is irrelevant because Compadre Shepadre saves the universe again.

But will he save votepoll? :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom