Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
:lol:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
This whole new craze about being entertained 24/7 anywhere and at anytime is totally going out of control. This is the key to understand the American psyche.

"I must play on the bus, then I must play at work, and at the grocery store, and when I get home I'm really getting started. Oh shit what's that moar games coming!?!!11"

:patriot:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...3-says-it-will-compete-with-next-gen-consoles

Hot on the heels of the surprisingly-well-received Big Picture mode, Valve has confirmed that it will release a “Steam Box” video game console sometime in 2013.

Speaking to Kotaku at the 2012 Video Game Awards this weekend, Gabe Newell confirmed that Valve is working on a living room-friendly PC that runs Steam. Newell says that reception for Steam’s new, TV-oriented Big Picture mode has been “stronger than expected,” and the company will now work to get Steam for Linux out of beta.

Beyond that, Gaben only gave us one other tidbit about the Steam Box, stating that “our hardware will be a very controlled environment.” In other words, the Steam Box will be a console, rather than some kind of PC that you can upgrade. Curiously, Newell also said that he expects other companies to sell living room PCs that will compete with next-gen consoles from Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo. We’re not entirely sure why 2013 is the year that living room PCs will suddenly compete with game consoles, but do let us know in the comments if you have a theory.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hard to say, it's definetly incline in making PC releases more atractive, but since people will be in their couches, they'll probably prefer to play with a controller, so it may "consolize" PC releases, making mouse & keyboard interfaces even less relevant... also, being a closed box, no one will want to release PC games that don't run on the Steambox, so it may hold the technology in the same way 7-year old consoles do...

CorpseZeb

Learned
Yeah... I fear about dreaded "couch factor" too.

Ps. But, anyway, titles like Silent Hill 2, was first released on the console. So maybe, there is a hope. Always is.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Okay, so basically we've got:

• PlayStation 4 X-TREME DRM EDITION!!
  • XBox Americlap 420 blaze it fgts #YOLO
  • Mario Bros. 43/Legend of Zelda 19/Metroid 15 Delivery System
  • NVidia Shield, now featuring 45 minutes of battery life!
  • Ouya :roll:

...and of course, the Steam Box. I can't wait wait to see how all this shit plays out.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
oatmeal-lovebox-360-steam-box.jpg

http://theoatmeal.com/pl/state_web_spring/valve

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

...and of course, the Steam Box. I can't wait wait to see how all this shit plays out.
You forgot the most portable TV games console eveeeeeer ! (shitty Android flash games not included)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872297630/gamestick-the-most-portable-tv-games-console-ever

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Android does not support Flash anymore, so there's actually no such thing as an "Android flash game".

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

0.jpg

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
So from now on all pc games will be controller enabled to be compatible with the Gabecube and the Big Picture mod ,oh joy
:decline:
:neveraskedforthis:

Sul

Savant
also, being a closed box, no one will want to release PC games that don't run on the Steambox, so it may hold the technology in the same way 7-year old consoles do...
Not really, it's completely modular.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Steambox is still an improvement over the closed markets that are the Big Three's consoles. I am myself hoping the Steambox kills them all, and then hoping it dies on its own. Incline is a small step after another small step.

Edit : aw, I seem to be the only one who has voted for :incline:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yes, it's an incline over what we have now.

If there are still PC games (likes RTSes) that haven't been made with controllers in mind until now, even during the long years of console dominance, then there's little reason for them to start now.

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
Anything that pushes Linux and gives an alternative to windows/xbox is incline atm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom