Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The very important RPG games

DarthBehemoth

Learned
Rock, paper, shotgun has a list of very important PC games. Among them Dragon Age and KOTOR:

This was the game that properly defined how one should produce gaming choice. Yes, there are lots of other ways, and yes, other games did it before this one, but I am still giving the credit to KotOR because it did it so damned well – it did it in the way that other people should be copying. Playing through, making evil choices, takes you to no different places than a goodie-two-shoes encounter, but wow do you feel like you’re playing a different game. You still complete the same quests, but you approach them differently, cruelly, spitefully.

And of course, Dragon Age

Dragon Age is one of the finest RPGs of all time. I’d say (more safely now it’s 2011) that it’s the best of the last decade. Bloody brilliant 100 hour epic constructions of passion and emotion, war and death, romance and religion – they don’t come around very often. It’s such a stunning example of the genre, and a massive pleasure to play, but is it the final word on the matter? I think Mass Effect is the direction the RPG is heading in, and your Witchers and your Dragon Age IIs, are relics. Dragon Age is a wonderful relic, and one of my favourite games of all time. But it’s hard to put it forward as a text for gaming’s future.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Re: They very important RPG games

This was the game that properly defined how one should produce gaming choice. Yes, there are lots of other ways, and yes, other games did it before this one, but I am still giving the credit to KotOR because it did it so damned well – it did it in the way that other people should be copying. Playing through, making evil choices, takes you to no different places than a goodie-two-shoes encounter, but wow do you feel like you’re playing a different game. You still complete the same quests, but you approach them differently, cruelly, spitefully.

Hahahahahahahahaha

oh wow supreme

ChristofferC

Magister
Johannes said:
Don't just cherry pick the worst bits, you should include a link to the list too
whatamireading.png

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I think I finished it about 45-50 hours, but I turned the difficulty down to Easy about 2/3 of the way through because I couldn't bear the shit filler combat anymore. Yes, the rest of it had the occasional flash of decency to make me persevere in the hope that it would stop feeling like a chore most of the time, and yes, I regret it.

7hm

Scholar
RPS is on a major decline.

A fucking list article? Really? REALLY?

I loved that site, but it's not trending well.

Notorious

Augur
:what:

How much do you have to hate yourself to play Dragon Age for a 100 hours?

boring combat - stupid dialouge - even more boring combat

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Notorious said:
Some people are paid:
QA analyst Bruce Venne played 1,957.55 hours of Dragon Age PC in 5,352 games.

At the end of each month, an Achievement called ‘The Bruce’ would be awarded to people who played more hours than Bruce Venne that month. It was awarded only once.

BioWare president Ray Muzyka got 134 developer Achievements across 385 hours of play PC and console builds of Dragon Age: Origins before release. He crashed 35 times and filed 311 bugs.

1,015,977 PC games played in the last 2.5 years of development totaling 8,145 days of runtime.

Complete pass on the game took over 90 hours by an experienced QA lead.

Record QA speed playthough was over 12 hours using cheats on skipping all dialogue.

Nael

Arcane
Roguey said:
Notorious said:
Some people are paid:
QA analyst Bruce Venne played 1,957.55 hours of Dragon Age PC in 5,352 games.

At the end of each month, an Achievement called ‘The Bruce’ would be awarded to people who played more hours than Bruce Venne that month. It was awarded only once.

BioWare president Ray Muzyka got 134 developer Achievements across 385 hours of play PC and console builds of Dragon Age: Origins before release. He crashed 35 times and filed 311 bugs.

1,015,977 PC games played in the last 2.5 years of development totaling 8,145 days of runtime.

Complete pass on the game took over 90 hours by an experienced QA lead.

Record QA speed playthough was over 12 hours using cheats on skipping all dialogue.

How can they be playing so many fucking games and so little creativity come out in their finished product? I don't think a single person that works at Bioware has the gene that tells you when something is too uncomfortably stupid to experience and enjoy. And apparently a lot of journalists lack this gene as well.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Volourn said:
DA wasn't 100 hours. More like 60.

More like 50.

Serious_Business said:
Volourn said:
DA wasn't 100 hours. More like 60.

more like a fucking turd

Also this.

And KOTOR having good choices? What the fuck. You're either a saint or pointlessly cruel. Even the phoned in philosophy in Jade Empire gave you more of a motivation than you had in KOTOR.

Varn

Educated
If Derp Age is one of the finest RPG's of all time, that must mean the genre is somewhere beteen the Children's Entertainment and Wii Casual Sporting categories in terms of quality.

Quilty

Magister
This is John Walker we're talking about here. He's generally pretty shitty when it comes to thinking about games. Looking forward to other guys from RPS, they're better at not being douche bags.

tennishero

Novice
obviously this fag site doesn't know shit about REAL RPG AWESOMEENESS if they dont talk about oblivion and how its immersion and radiant AI changed rpg gaming forever.

Lol newfags dont know about oblivion

7hm

Scholar
Quilty said:
This is John Walker we're talking about here. He's generally pretty shitty when it comes to thinking about games. Looking forward to other guys from RPS, they're better at not being douche bags.
Like Quinn?

:decline:

(actually I wrote this and then went to read his article. He likes BG1&2 and feels Bioware hasn't repeated. Don't disagree with him there - he even comments on the game railroading you on the main quest. And JA2 being challenging in a good way. And his comments about nethack and a bunch of other things. This particular part of the article series was really good.)

Quilty

Magister
7hm said:
Quilty said:
Like Quinn?

:decline:

(actually I wrote this and then went to read his article. He likes BG1&2 and feels Bioware hasn't repeated. Don't disagree with him there - he even comments on the game railroading you on the main quest. And JA2 being challenging in a good way. And his comments about nethack and a bunch of other things. This particular part of the article series was really good.)

I certainly enjoy Quinns' writing more than Walker's. At least it's not like reading a prissy old lady's diary.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom