Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Wii successor is real

Drakron

Arcane
KalosKagathos said:
... the FF VII remake ...

The moment FF7 remake is mention we know its bullshit, many years ago Square said a FF7 remake would mean redoing the entire game from scratch, costs are prohibitive as its would cost the same as a new game.

Only way FF7 is going to have a remake is when its going to show up in a handheld but FF7 would be the first of the "PlayStation generation" FFs to be ported to handhelds, I dont think there would be many improvements beyond new 3D models and new FMV.

grdja

Augur
Due to simple amount of fucking time that has passed since "next gen" consoles were released; with good luck and planing Nintendo could have console that runs all current games at 1080p with prettier AA and AF than PS3 or X360 can.

I'm not cheering for consoles; I'd just like to see PS3 and X360 humiliated a bit and to see a fucking step forward in graphics.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Backwards compatibility is a huge selling point to me, especially if it includes both Wii and Gamecube.

I never bought either of those systems, and I know they each have some classics that I've missed.

ortucis

Prophet
KalosKagathos said:
Alexandros said:
Bah, who cares about console toys. The PC is eternal.
Even the most fanboyish of PC purists should care: multiplatform titles are about to get prettier, for better or worse.

Nintendo games don't come to PC and the only reason to by a Wii is to play Nintendo games anyway. So yeah, PC gamers shouldn't care.

Now if 360 and PS3 have a new successor, that will change things for us. Better visuals and more space on those two consoles means higher quality for PC gamers.

EDIT: Oh and Wii is aimed at the whole family. PG-13 shit. So most developers who release 360 & PS3 games won't really care as well.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I HIOPE MOST OF YOU HAVE ENOUGH SELF AWARENESS TO REALIZE THAT 50 PERCENT OR MORE OF THE DISCUSSION OF THIS SITE IS ABOUT CONSOLETARD TRASH

BROS STEP OUT OF THECLOSET

KalosKagathos

Learned
ortucis said:
KalosKagathos said:
Alexandros said:
Even the most fanboyish of PC purists should care: multiplatform titles are about to get prettier, for better or worse.

Nintendo games don't come to PC and the only reason to by a Wii is to play Nintendo games anyway. So yeah, PC gamers shouldn't care.

Now if 360 and PS3 have a new successor, that will change things for us. Better visuals and more space on those two consoles means higher quality for PC gamers.

EDIT: Oh and Wii is aimed at the whole family. PG-13 shit. So most developers who release 360 & PS3 games won't really care as well.
This thread isn't about Wii, it's about Nintendo's next console, the release of which will signify the start of the next console generation. Chances are, it will be as different from Wii as Wii itself was from GameCube.

ortucis

Prophet
KalosKagathos said:
ortucis said:
KalosKagathos said:
Alexandros said:

This thread isn't about Wii, it's about Nintendo's next console, the release of which will signify the start of the next console generation. Chances are, it will be as different from Wii as Wii itself was from GameCube.

Okay.

Nintendo games don't come to PC and the only reason to by a WiiNintendo's next console is to play Nintendo games anyway. So yeah, PC gamers shouldn't care.

EDIT: Oh and WiiNintendo's next console is aimed at the whole family. PG-13 shit. So most developers who release 360 & PS3 games won't really care as well.[/

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
grdja said:
Due to simple amount of fucking time that has passed since "next gen" consoles were released; with good luck and planing Nintendo could have console that runs all current games at 1080p with prettier AA and AF than PS3 or X360 can.

I'm not cheering for consoles; I'd just like to see PS3 and X360 humiliated a bit and to see a fucking step forward in graphics.

It would also scare the crap out of Microsoft and Sony who would really like to stay with there system for at least a few more years.
Now they are developing there next console, but if WII2 is strong enough to entice the console crowd then it might mean that they will be forced to POUR a shit ton of money into there development to get it out early and that would be fun to watch from the side line.

deuxhero

Arcane
There is one reason to care: Nintendo has always had awesome first party games (Generally shit everything else for non-portables post-SNES, but awesome enough First Party stuff).

Also: Nintendo has been behind some pretty family unfirendly games (Eternal Darkness, a few of the JPN only FEs, Eternal Darkness. The GCN Custom Robo's ending was also seriously screwed up.), more family unfriendly games made by them than Sony or modern Microsoft :smug:

KalosKagathos

Learned
ortucis said:
Okay.

Nintendo games don't come to PC and the only reason to by a WiiNintendo's next console is to play Nintendo games anyway. So yeah, PC gamers shouldn't care.

EDIT: Oh and WiiNintendo's next console is aimed at the whole family. PG-13 shit. So most developers who release 360 & PS3 games won't really care as well.[/
Your post is still bullshit, though.

1. Nintendo's reveal will influence Sony's and Microsoft's approach to their own next-gen consoles.
2. All consoles are targeted at the whole family, no exception. Wii does have M-rated titles. There aren't many of them because they sell poorly, but all third-party titles sell poorly on Wii. This does not have to be the case with the successor, since it's launching at least a year ahead of the competition and can build up a large playerbase on that alone. Not to mention that most M-rated titles on all platforms are of the blood and tits variety and aren't worth bothering with anyway, unless you've just hit puberty.

ortucis

Prophet
KalosKagathos said:
ortucis said:
Okay.

Your post is still bullshit, though.

1. Nintendo's reveal will influence Sony's and Microsoft's approach to their own next-gen consoles.
2. All consoles are targeted at the whole family, no exception. Wii does have M-rated titles. There aren't many of them because they sell poorly, but all third-party titles sell poorly on Wii. This does not have to be the case with the successor, since it's launching at least a year ahead of the competition and can build up a large playerbase on that alone. Not to mention that most M-rated titles on all platforms are of the blood and tits variety and aren't worth bothering with anyway, unless you've just hit puberty.

1. Different audience. If you haven't noticed, Nintendo is kid friendly. Like I said, PG-13 is their way (the reason why most games with blood and violence avoid it like plague). Ninteond won't even try changing this since most of their money comes from grandparents or mother of ten buying the new Wii for the family. Leaving such audience means someone like Microsoft trying to squeeze in their place.

2. All consoles are targetted but last I checked, people in hosptals aren't buying 360 to stay fit. The whole reason Microsoft and PS3 had to make their own "Move" "sparkling wand 2.0" was the Wii. Wii is simple, aimed at kids, is safe and as far as most people are concerned, a family friendly consoles over hardcore GTA4 filth peddling consoles like 360 and PS3.

3. Nintendo has spent all this time advertising their work (games) and product (console) as family friendly. They don't have games which show tits, they accidently HAD games with blood/gore a few years ago but even the developers of those games admitted that their games didn't seel much because the audience on Wii just didn't want those games (games got good reviews btw).

A new console doesn't mean Nintendo will suddenly abandon their PG-13 roots. All the time and money spent advertising itself as a family friendly company isn't just for lulz. Their new console will be sold mostly to the same audience, again. Imagine the horror when the whole family unpacks the new HD Wii and loads up "GEARS OF WAR 4: BLOOD FROM ANUS, RAPE OF GODS".

KalosKagathos

Learned
You're missing the point. The reason Wii has little in the way of M-rated games is not because Nintendo opposes them (Madworld, Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil 4 would end up on different platforms in this case), it's because developers of said titles stay away from Wii out of their own free will. Why do they do that? Because mature people who only play mature games for mature gamers such as themselves bought an Xbox 360, which came out a year ahead of Wii. But the situation is different now. Nintendo are the first to release a next-generation console, and this alone will ensure that some people are going to buy it even if they have no interest in Nintendo IPs simply because they want to own the latest, greatest console that has graphics better than 360 and PS3 do. That's your potential audience for M-rated games right there.

I still have no clue how not having many M-rated games is an objective flaw.

ortucis

Prophet
KalosKagathos said:
I still have no clue how not having many M-rated games is an objective flaw.

BTW the developers I was talking about were of Madworld. It was a flop and they clearly mentioned that the audience they targetted was the reason (game, like I said, got good reviews). Resident Evil 4 was on all systems, it's a big IP and it will be a hit no matter on which system. That doesn't make Wii a "adult content" friendly system.

BUT, I didn't say that not having M-rated games is a flaw or that makes Wii a shitty console. My original point was that a new console from Nintendo is insignificant to the PC gamers mostly cause A) Nintendo doesn't make PC games and their games are a MAJOR part of what makes their own consoles a hit and B) Nintendo is playing catch-up. Even if they release a HD console they won't be targetted by the developers who primarily make 360/PS3/PC games because the audience just isn't there (for M-rated games).

So a HD console from Nintendo won't mean a jump in quality of games for PC gamers. It most likely won't even mean a new console from Microsoft and Sony since they target a completely different audience which Nintendo doesn't. MS and Sony have already stated that their current consoles will last for 2-3 years more. They will continue releasing small addons like Move until a major upgrade happens. Nintendo is just cementing their position in the family friendly genre.

Zeus

Cipher
Drakron said:
many years ago Square said a FF7 remake would mean redoing the entire game from scratch, costs are prohibitive as its would cost the same as a new game.

It's not that a remake would cost the same as a new game (it's their most popular title and would no doubt recoup any costs), it's that it would cost much, much more than a new game.

Square's official stance is that technology has advanced so much that doing a high definition, movie-like graphic rendition of FF7 would be near impossible.

"If we were to recreate Final Fantasy VII with the same level of graphical detail as you see in Final Fantasy XIII, we'd imagine that that would take as much as three or four times longer than the three and a half years it has taken to put this Final Fantasy together."

A scene that used to take animators a day to set up with little blocky puppet people would take weeks of lip-syncing, hair-modeling, require high resolution textures and motion capture, etc. Hence new games have to have less of those scenes, or less of other content, to make it balance out. Heck, they said FF13 didn't have towns because of high resolution graphics. (Which I think is B.S., but if they honestly couldn't manage how to do a town, how could they do FF7?)

Drakron

Arcane
Zeus said:
It's not that a remake would cost the same as a new game (it's their most popular title and would no doubt recoup any costs), it's that it would cost much, much more than a new game.

No, it would cost roughly the same as everything would have to be done from scratch, keep in mind that Square said that when FF X-2 was released and so it was about the costs back then, a remake of a FF VII would mean no previous assents could be re-used due to their age.

Square's official stance is that technology has advanced so much that doing a high definition, movie-like graphic rendition of FF7 would be near impossible.

Current stance you mean as rumors of a FF VII remake have been around for quite a while, even before FF X-2.

The fact your post is clearly after FF XIII just shows you really dont understand what Squarenix is saying, they DONT want to do a remake of FF VII because its costs are going to be equal to the development of a new FF title and its not going to sell as well as the original no matter what the moronic nostalgia wearing glasses fanboys say.

(also that was more about the Final Fantasy VII Advent Children CGI film that just negates your "CGI is expensive" argument as they made )

Its something they KNOW its not going to please no matter what, if they deviate from the original 1997 formula the oldfags that play the original will complain and if they dont, the new moronic "press a button and something awesome will happen" masses will complain.

Of course I wish they made so those DAMN STUPID NOSTALGIA FUCKTARDS WOULD SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Zeus

Cipher
Drakron said:
No, it would cost roughly the same as everything would have to be done from scratch, keep in mind that Square said that when FF X-2 was released and so it was about the costs back then, a remake of a FF VII would mean no previous assents could be re-used due to their age.

You're missing the point. The scope of FFVII is greater than what they're currently capable of handling.

Re-making Final Fantasy VII from scratch would cost more than making Final Fantasy XIII from scratch, because XIII was designed with the limits of today's technology in mind, while VII was designed back in the days when you could just "fudge it" because the characters barely had mouths, let alone lip synching, so why not put a twenty minute cut scene every five seconds?

It's like how Baldur's Gate 2 had vast amounts of text, but as technology progressed--and all characters became voiced by actors--the number of dialog choices and branching dialog paths in Bioware games were greatly reduced. If Bioware released a game with BG2's scope of dialog today, they'd have to spend an insane amount of money and effort on the voice acting alone. Instead, they release Dragon Age 2, a game designed for today's everything-must-be-voiced philosophy.

deuxhero

Arcane
Besides, 7 is crap.

5 on the other hand, is rather fun compared to the FFs I've played (discliamer: Haven't played most of them).The story isn't whiny and emo, the characters are more interesting than the emo pretty boys and aren't covered in belts/zippers, bosses are glass cannons that die in a few turns but can kill you just as quick instead of grind fests, plus the job system is neat and the one time a character dies, you get a damn good reason he can't be brought back by the dirt common resurrection items. Also Clash/Battle on the Big Bridge is the most awesome tune ever!

Secretninja

Cipher
All I use my wii for is emulating older consoles conveniently on my tv with a good controller. I honestly could care less about a new nintendo.

Drakron

Arcane
Zeus said:
You're missing the point. The scope of FFVII is greater than what they're currently capable of handling.

Not really ... you have, for example, Lost Odyssey that is a fairly large game in terms of areas, Infinite Undiscovery that is a Square Enix game is also fairly large (with towns).

What you are getting is excuses, the whole "WE CANNOT CREATE TOWNS!!!" of Final Fantasy XIII was a excuse asoriyama said in an interview that the team was unable to make them as graphically appealing as the rest of the game and chose to eliminate them.

Look FF XIII and FF XIV are examples of how NOT to develop games, FF XIII in particular was driven by the freaking concept art department (you know the Shiva turns into a bike? its there because they made it and so had to be in the game, never mind how retarded that was) and the whole was a disaster ... besides you do know there is a FF XIII-2 in development? do you think they are starting from scratch or are using discarded assents (like Lighting home town that we see a few gazillion times since EVERY FUCKING CHARACTER had to remember that FUCKING NIGHT WITH THE FUCKING FIREWORKS!) ...

FF VII would not really require that much effort as current gen games have show they can recreate that scale, that Squarenix is incapable of doing so because their current lead developers are prima donas that happened to be around when their better games were made simply lack the talent is one thing but as Lost Odyssey shown, it can be done.

Zeus

Cipher
Drakron said:
Zeus said:

Not really ... you have, for example, Lost Odyssey that is a fairly large game in terms of areas, Infinite Undiscovery that is a Square Enix game is also fairly large (with towns).

Areas aren't the problem. I already said I think their "no towns" thing is B.S. It was a bad design move on their part and has nothing to do with anything. Again, the real problem is lip syncing, motion capture, facial animations, etc., etc. A scene that probably took ten minutes to whip up on PlayStation--Cloud is frustrated, so his mouth-less puppet head tilts back and his finger-less Popeye hands shake with rage!--would now take actors with ping pong balls on their crotches miming and acting out the whole scene, animators making sure Cloud's emo rage is properly conveyed via high resolution textures and facial animations, voice actors, lip syncing, etc., etc, on PlayStation 3. And of course, plenty of cinematic camera angles. You can't just hang a virtual camera from the ceiling like in the old days, you need closeups!

And yeah, Square Enix is an example of what happenes when bad artists run the company. Final Fantasy used to be synonymous with great storylines and deep gameplay. On consoles, you couldn't find anything better (not counting computer ports and whatnot). Then along comes this new breed of Square designer, who's more interested in tight leather pants than a solid combat system or interesting story, and you have the mess the series is in today.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
Those GBA games weren't remakes, they were ports. The FF5 port was pretty well done though.

Remakes for the sake of better graphics will be pointless until we have completely futureproof graphic technology, because until then any remakes would look dated ten years later. In FF7's case, besides graphics and sound quality there's nothing that can be improved upon that doesn't involve fundamentally changing it. It's a JRPG, there's only so much you can do.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS THE FFVII DEBATE SHOULD CONTINUE IN A BATH HOUSE IUNDERNEATH LIBERACES DECAYING NUTSACK

Zeus

Cipher
BLOBERT said:
BROS THE FFVII DEBATE SHOULD CONTINUE IN A BATH HOUSE IUNDERNEATH LIBERACES DECAYING NUTSACK

Silly Blobert, that's what you get for reading a thread about a Nintendo console. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom