Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Wildest RPGs You Never Knew About

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
We’re constantly talking about Dungeons and Dragons (all editions), Pathfinder, Call of Cthulhu, Shadowrun, GURPS and other popular and well-made roleplaying games. But there are literally hundreds of others out there. And some of them are so wild that you have to wonder whether or not the authors were high when they wrote it. So here is a short list of some of the wilder RPGs I know, that actually range from the mediocre to the good. I won’t be listing bad RPGS, like F.A.T.A.L. and its rules for genital size, rectal circumferences and unconsensual fornication or Synnibarr with its flying bears with lazor beam eyes.

flying-winged-bears-with-frickin-laser-beams-comi-1217-1319142802-1.jpg

No, these are wild RPGs you might actually enjoy playing.

1.) 1. Kobolds Ate My Baby

KAMBcover_Tilted_250x.jpg

The good folks at Ninth Level Publishing created this beer in pretzels game where you play one of a party of kobolds
seeking to find a human baby in order to feed your chief, King Torg. From the game’s own words description:

“It's not your fault that Kobolds are gourmets. It's not you fault that King Torg (All Hail King Torg!) is hungry. It's not your fault that the tastiest thing a KObold has ever eaten is sweet baby! And it's defineatly, not your fault that Kobolds are the most incompetent, reckless, and accident prone race to ever crawl out of a cave. But it is your problem...
King Torg (All Hail King Torg!) needs you - yes, you - to go out to the nearby human town and bring back the freshest, tastiest, plumpest human babies you can find - or, the King will be eating you (and Kobold's pretty darn tasty.)”

The humor is pretty dark. You’re out baby hunting against a sleepy village of commoners. Your kobold character is pretty useless, but luckily you’re up against some equally useless human peasants with makeshift weapons. Even if the kobolds succeed the life expectancy of their entire tribe is going to be short, since you just know a nearby group of adventurers would be called in to genocide the lot of them.

2. Panty Explosion

card-front-small.jpg

This game is for all of you that always wanted to play Japanese school girl fighting demons. The authors claim that they picked the title to poke fun at the horrible way Japanese titles get converted into English and vice versa. This is not Urotsukidoji, the hentai tentacle RPG. It’s actually a horror RPG dealing with girls that have psychic powers. Because the girls still have to attend high school, their interactions with their classmates and stress at school affects their mental state, leaving them stronger or weaker when the demons finally move to attack from the spirit realm. The game is fairly complex, making the players spend as much time worrying about their characters social interactions and mental state as they do their combat statistics. It also includes character attributes important in Japanese culture, such as a spiritual background based on one of the five Japanese elements and the character’s blood type. It has a pretty devoted fanbase.

3. Grimm RPG and Little Fears RPG

lfne-cover-large-200x300.jpg

Both of these games have done pretty well, so I am not going to choose between which is better. Both cover the idea of little kids having to battle monsters that aren’t so imaginary. As you can imagine, they are both horror RPGs with Little Fears dealing with more modern monsters while Grimm delves into the twisted Grimm Fairy Tales. I’ve actually heard of people playing this game with their children, but being a lot lighter on the horror elements and allowing little Johnny to feel like he could beat up that boogie man he keeps imagining is in the closet.

4. Paranoia RPG

paranoia-cover.jpg

God, I love me some Paranoia. The above cover is from the version I grabbed in the early 90s. This is an RPG that encourages players to kill off one another in hilarious ways, and for the GM to kill them off at his whim. It’s ok, though, since they all have clones and immediately rejoin after each death. Until they run out that is. The RPG takes place in an underground fallout shelter after World War 3 wiped out mankind on the surface of the planet. Unfortunately the computer running the underground city was damaged during the attacks and was only able to rebuild its behavioral core from anti-Communist propaganda from the 1950s. The computer is constantly looking to eliminate communists, and runs a police-state dystopian society. Think Fallout with even more zany humor. I can’t help but think that the people who designed Portal also were familiar with this game. Not many people know about it today.

“SERVE THE COMPUTER. THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND! The Computer wants you to be happy. If you are not happy, you may be used as reactor shielding. The Computer is crazy. The Computer is happy. The Computer will help you become happy. This will drive you crazy. Being a citizen of Alpha Complex is fun. The Computer says so, and The Computer is your friend. Rooting out traitors will make you happy. The Computer tells you so. Can you doubt The Computer? Being a Troubleshooter is fun. The Computer tells you so. Of course the Computer is right. Troubleshooters get shot at, stabbed, incinerated, stapled, mangled, poisoned, blown to bits, and occasionally accidentally executed. This is so much fun that many Troubleshooters go crazy. You will be working with many Troubleshooters. All of them carry lasers. Aren’t you glad you have a laser? Won’t this be fun? There are many traitors in Alpha Complex. There are many happy citizens m Alpha Complex. Most of the happy citizens are crazy. It is hard to say which is more dangerous traitors or happy citizens.”

5. Mouse Guard

rpgcover-large.jpg

You play as armed mouse guarding your rodent society from external threats. Sounds pretty boring, until you realize that everything your mouse soldier has to fight is going to be much, much larger than you. This is the only RPG that I know of that can make a fight with a normal owl look epic. Throw in a medieval society of mice with noble houses and plenty of political scheming and you have an awesome RPG. The comic is pretty fun, too, and shows the heart of the game:​
MouseG1.jpg
MouseG2.jpg
MouseG3.jpg
MouseG4.jpg
MouseG5.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
You must be talking about Little Fears's Nightmare Edition, because if I recall correctly the original game was utterly disturbing, creepy and bleak as hell, it was a game in which "winning" was not really possible, the best you could do was to survive until your character was old enough to be "boring" to these souless monsters that inspired CTL's True Fae, while other children were forced to face their horrible fates.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I've played a bunch of mouse guard. It has a lot in common with Burning Wheel. (All hail Burning Wheel!)
We have an ongoing paranoia campaign that's nearing its second birthday. Kobolds ate my baby is amazing fun for oneshots, and used to be a regular feature in Con Dôme while it still ran. Little fears is best played late at night. With the right gm, it's ten times as creepy as call of Cthulhu ever was. Can't say I've heard of panty explosion though. Premise sounds pretty dumb, but I guess weaboos might get off to it.

Of the above, Mouse guard is by far the best system and setting, kobolds ate my baby is the best for oneshots and paranoia has the highest lulz potential.

catfood

AGAIN
I've never played it myself, but Low Life, a Savage Worlds setting, is definitely some of the wildest stuff I've read.

http://www.peginc.com/games/low-life/

Sword & sorcery adventure in a shattered world inhabited by the descendants of cockroaches, worms, snack cakes, and stranded aliens. Discover the arcane secrets of hocus pokery, dementalism, smellcasting, and holy rolling. Battle hideous beasts, risen from the rubble of ancient civilizations. Enjoy a light lunch at the Primordial Soup Kitchen. Mutha Oith is a world of grand adventure and deadly peril; a world of conflict and danger. It is a land of epic heroism and great evil, a realm of horror and violence, a bold land where even the lowliest cockroach can become a king by his own sword and the most wretched gob of filth can become a gawd.
Are you werm enough to follow your destiny? Do you have the nuggets to take your rightful place among Oith’s most valiant heroes? If so, strap on your esophagator hide shield, pick up your poo flinger and your big ass cleaver, mount your pygmy slog, whisper a prayer to Jelvis, kiss your larvae goodbye, and open the goosin’ book. The muck-riddled road to epic adventure stands before you…
Low Life is by far the weirdest thing Pinnacle has ever published, and we’re proud of it. It’s a creation of Andy Hopp, who is as incredible at writing and game design as he is at art. The man is truly a genius, though perhaps of the “mad,” “twisted,” or “tortured” variety. You can check out more of Andy’s work at www.andyhopp.com

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
Oh? What was good about it versus others? Anything that stands out there as good?

Paranoia is fun in like a fun way to torture players, which is one the main points. It is a setting of submission, backstabbing and cheating, and really is every man for himself. I has emphasis on comedy, rather than plot or rules.
So, it is very different rpg to most, the center being on a shared experience of absurdity and arbitrary or manipulative cruelty.

Cool name

Arcane
maid_front_cover.jpg

Some of the weirdest campaigns I did ever play where on that... thing. It is a fun game to play over MSN or make an improptu P&P session with a bunch of friends on a slow day. If you did ever want to be a robot ninja maid on a quest to save her vampire master from the clutches of a bunch of demon gangster from hell while a giant monster, a giant robot, and an alien fleet do fight it out all over the city while needing your catgirl witch maid and your BDSM commando maid friends console your emotional trauma as all of the party does try to score affection points with The Master then it is the game for you.

Zetor

Arcane
I'm not sure if Gamma World is xxxtreme enough to count, but it certainly has no shortage of silly shit. Snake people with eleventy billion arms, millipede-horses, cactus horses, random intelligent mutated animals that were basically biped versions of the original with guns (not sure if furry), etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom