Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 2 new trailer

DriacKin

Arbiter
Roguey said:
DriacKin said:
My guess is that if Witcher didn't have the titty cards, it'd be just as reviled as Olbivion or Fallout3.
Not really, it'd still have the art direction, intelligence,
The Witcher had intelligence? WTF?

focus on gameplay
:facepalm: Combat was nothing but a terribad timing minigame with no depth whatsoever. And the pollockfags can't even blame this on the translation.

on RPG mechanics
It did? I remember the game having a very rigid character development system where every single character ended up pretty much the same. RPG mechanics in TWitcher were almost non-existent.

[...] heart and soul and [...] depth of setting and on immersion and all those good things
Fucking hell. Shitty IGN reviews don't use as many meaningless buzz words as you are. Honestly, I can't really tell whether or not you're trolling, but I certainly hope that you were.

Sannom

Augur
zeitgeist said:
I don't understand how the Witcher series isn't multiplatform. What's the point of a PC-only release for such a game? Have they ever officially commented on this?

East-european game, new market, new developers, traditionnaly PC (at the time) because console gaming wasn't in the culture yet, and CD Projeckt was the distributor for a number of american PC-only RPGs (Baldur's Gate series, Planescape : Torment, etc.) before opening its developing studio, CD Projekt Red.
Plus, given the amateur-ish code on the initial release, it gave them an opportunity to fix it with later patches. As people who liked the game would tell you, the game is a lot more enjoyable after patch 1.2 and its reduced loading times. Enhanced edition brought about some nice enhancements to the inventory too, although it was still a pain.

And when they got big enough to start a console version, things went sour with the other studio and the project was shelved.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
DriacKin said:
The Witcher had intelligence? WTF?
Why The Witcher is an intelligent game
Fucking hell. Shitty IGN reviews don't use as many meaningless buzz words as you are. Honestly, I can't really tell whether or not you're trolling, but I certainly hope that you were.
IGNCodex (concluding paragraphs). The end of my post was my actual opinion, which was kinda damning with faint praise.

Sannom

Augur
Roguey said:

I always tought that the Abigail vs Villagers was really one of the less "morally challenging" choices of the game. Abigail is not a saint, but she is at least useful to society, which isn't the case of most of the other, and the guys that oppose her are such evil scum that you could confuse her for a saint. And when you experience the long-term effects of the pro-Abigail choice, it becomes even less morally ambiguous, to the point that I could never side against her, that would be just plain evil.

Stabwound

Arcane
The Witcher is more like an adventure game with light RPG elements, sort of like the 3D Zelda games. Except it has worse combat than the Zelda games. I think some of the Zelda games even have more equipment than TW does.

I really hope TW2 has improved combat and more character customization/equipment. Really, these were the weakest areas of the first game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom