Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher - 20% of the original English script cut

dragonfk

Erudite
Ausir said:
Is there any chance at all that the unedited English script will become available to the public? This would certainly be far better than any fan-made attempt to translate the full Polish text.

I thank you in advance.

It is available. Just change English_Short to English_Long in the INI file.

You mean it was all the time in the game directory???

Ausir

Arcane
Only the text, though. Only the short version of the spoken lines was recorded.

dragonfk

Erudite
Ausir said:
Only the text, though. Only the short version of the spoken lines was recorded.

Huh, funny. So many people asking for developers aid and what they wanted was right under thier nose. I would say "hilarious".

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I've played for an hour in act 4 with the ini-tweak yet haven't noticed any difference from the spoken dialog so far.

dragonfk

Erudite
KazikluBey said:
I've played for an hour in act 4 with the ini-tweak yet haven't noticed any difference from the spoken dialog so far.

Maybe you need to start the game from the beginning ? //I have no idea

hicksman

Liturgist
in light of all this crap, I think i'm going to pretend it didnt actually come out and wait to see if this INI thing works, its added back in by some nice hacker or something that smoothes things out at least a bit...

cutterjohn

Cipher
Azarkon said:
Rarely is quality not lost in translation.
Murakami's books seem to be fairly well translated. (Or at least I presume that they were originally written in Japanese rather than english, and translating pictographically based languages is MUCH more difficult...)

Mayday

Augur
severian said:
Hi,

I'd like to explain English dialogs issue a little.

Michał

Hi,

My name is Michał Madej.
Can I be the project lead on the next Witcher game please? I have pages of design documents already.

Michał
:P

Ausir

Arcane
Fortunately, The Witcher license is not owned by Atari, but by CD Projekt, so they can find another publisher for future games.

Ausir

Arcane
I mean the license to make Witcher games is currently owned by CD Projekt.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Well, that helps explain some of the cuts they made to non-polish Witcher scripts.

They need all the money they can get.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
cutterjohn said:
Ausir said:
I mean the license to make Witcher games is currently owned by CD Projekt.
Og course it's NOT owned by CD PROJEKT, it's owned by Sapkowski who merely licensed it to CD PROJEKT RED

I think you might want to reread the conversation, John.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Darkflame said:
It looks like Atari is going under after this year:
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6182469.htm ... ws;title;1

Don't confuse two different companies:

ATARI Europe (mother company, aka Infogrames)

Mobygames said:
Atari Europe S.A.S.U. is a majority owned subsidiary of the holding company Infogrames Entertainment SA with worldwide headquarters in Lyon, France. Atari Europe produces and publishes interactive games for all platforms available in Europe and oversees distribution of the Atari catalog throughout Europe. In addition, as a result of significant publishing and distribution deals, Atari Europe also distributes titles of affiliate companies, including Sega, Bandai, and Square Soft, across the continent.

Atari Europe is organized to serve three primary regions: Northern Europe (United Kingdom and Scandinavian countries), Southern Europe (France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Israel), and Eastern Europe (Germany, Austria, Benelux, Switzerland and countries of Eastern Europe). Australia and New Zealand are also considered part of Atari Europe's territory because both areas utilize the European PAL video standard.

The original Infogrames was founded in June 1983 in France by Bruno Bonnell and Christophe Sapet. The company quickly became the major French developer, with many acquisitions (both developers and distributors) first in Europe, later all over the world, and creating various subsidiary companies. In 1993, Infogrames was introduced to the stock exchange of Paris with great success.

November 1999 is a milestone, when Infogrames Entertainment SA acquires a controlling stake in the major American publisher GT Interactive. It is renamed Infogrames, Inc. The US branch fully acquires Hasbro Interactive, another major player, in January 2001, becoming Infogrames Interactive, Inc.

In May 2003, the company completely rebrands its corporate image and adopts the well-known Atari brand, which came along with the Hasbro acquisition. Hasbro had it acquired from JTS Corporation, which the original Atari had merged with in 1996. Infogrames, Inc. becomes Atari, Inc., Infogrames Interactive, Inc. becomes Atari Interactive, Inc., and the European operations are renamed Atari Europe. The main company holding's name remains Infogrames Entertainment SA.

ATARI US (aka ATARI Inc.)

Mobygames said:
Atari, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATAR) is a majority owned subsidiary of Infogrames Entertainment SA and encompasses its North American operations. With headquarters in New York City, Atari, Inc. employs approximately 750 employees across the U.S. Currently one of the largest third-party publishers of interactive entertainment software in the U.S., Atari, Inc. develops, publishes and distributes games for all available platforms.

Publishing
Atari's publishing business consists primarily of two publishing studios (Santa Monica, California and Beverly, Massachusetts) which focus on the Company's core strengths: kids/family games, action/adventure games, and sports/racing games. With its emphasis on producing interactive entertainment for a mass entertainment audience, the Company publishes games at a variety of price points, ranging from value-priced titles to premium-priced products.

It is ATARI US that will go bancrupt in the near future.

So, don't mix them up. Atari won't go under and the next Witcher licensed product will probably be done with Atari again.[/quote]

Deleted member 7219

In layman's terms:

Atari Europe: RPG sector, things like NWN2 and The Witcher

Atari US: Casual games, sports and kids games.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Hermilion said:
Ausir said:
It is available. Just change English_Short to English_Long in the INI file.

More details on switching english subtitles are here:
http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=4254.0

It is a pity english version has been ripped as
IMO Sapkowski's books best parts are dialogs.

But there still is noone that can say wether it works. I sure as hell haven't seen any change though, even after restarting the prologue and a part of the first chapter. Anyone?

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Trash: It's bogus. I changed the .ini file setting to "Language=FinalEnglish_Blahakala" and the English subtitles still match the speech.

psycojester

Arbiter
kingcomrade said:
Terry Pratchett's newest book is totally in the mail, heading to my house.

What did you think of it? Personally i wasn't overly thrilled by Making Money, i don't think he spent enough time developing the characters or focusing on the bank and spent way to long on the villain. By the end i really didn't give a shit about have the protagonists and knew way to much about the antagonist to view him as any kind of real threat.

Although the dialogue between Moist and Ventanari was brilliant.

If you want to try one of those British 'new wave' sci-fi authors go for John M Harrison (Centauri Device, Viriconium) or straight to the originals (Mike Morecock and JG Ballard).

I just finished reading John M Harrison's first two Viriconium books/stories/whatever we're calling them depending on which medium you read them in. I'd have to say that i prefer Mievilles work, Harrison seems to get rather lost in describing the weirdness and the general atmosphere of despair and entropy that defines Viriconium, he certainly does a brilliant job of it, be he often seems to forget that he's meant to be writing a narrative and whats happening often gets lost. Mieville is a lot better at blending his descriptions into the story, i find it makes for a more enjoyable read.

Has anybody here happened to have ready City of Saints and Madmen? I got about halfway through it and then lent it to a friend. Quite enjoyed the first few stories but really didn't like the author insert one in the asylum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom