Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
And Moronwind has the worst combat mechanics in any video game I have ever played bar none

I enjoyed the dice roll based melee combat in MW more than the melee combat in Oblivion and Skyrim.

Triss or Yen?

Witcher 2 Triss.
triss and any other twitcher 2 character suffers from dead eyes and massive brow ridge because the artist have yet to grasp how to make models for the red engine

n accurate representation of slavoids

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
temerians are slavs now
All the "Northern Kingdoms" are slavs, and Sniflegard are Germans. I mean, seriously. Vizima? Velen? Novigrad? Tretogor?
Temeria does have some slight French influence, but is predominantly Slavic, yes. Nilfgaard is more complicated though. Their names are largely Dutch (Swamp German, I know, I know), while the general feel is, to me, that of the Spanish Empire. Not least because of their southern geographic location.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
temerians are slavs now
All the "Northern Kingdoms" are slavs, and Sniflegard are Germans. I mean, seriously. Vizima? Velen? Novigrad? Tretogor?
Temeria does have some slight French influence, but is predominantly Slavic, yes. Nilfgaard is more complicated though. Their names are largely Dutch (Swamp German, I know, I know), while the general feel is, to me, that of the Spanish Empire. Not least because of their southern geographic location.
They also have lots of Elven influences, easily spotted in names of some characters and locations, which further messes up all the analogies with real life countries. For example Cahir mawr Dyffryn aep Caellah does not sound Dutch, but rather Celtic (Welch?), which Sapkowski often employs for Elven language.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
The way this game asslicks doppelgangers is sickening. Obviously, the existence of creatures that can take the perfect appearance, mannerisms and mindset of anyone is extremely concerning... but all such concerns are handwaved as the ravings of insane fanatics, and the doppler himself is portrayed as the kindest, most honest, most wonderful person who has ever graced the world with its presence.

That is, when he isn't impersonating high-ranking city officials, which is exactly what the raving fanatics have been worried about all along. Very typical shitlib moralizing combined with rank hypocrisy and total lack of self-awareness.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Also, the bestiary is adamantly insisting that "higher vampires" are a totally different species than the katakans, and only smelly peasants would ever conflate them (a lot of the beastiary entries were written by some pricks with a chip on their shoulder poles), and then you expose a higher vampire in Novigrad, and he transforms into a katakan to fight you.

Not too bright, these bestiary writers.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Also, the bestiary is adamantly insisting that "higher vampires" are a totally different species than the katakans, and only smelly peasants would ever conflate them (a lot of the beastiary entries were written by some pricks with a chip on their shoulder poles), and then you expose a higher vampire in Novigrad, and he transforms into a katakan to fight you.

Not too bright, these bestiary writers.
It all boils down to a moment in the novels where Regis explains vampires to the other characters. He makes a clear distinction between higher vampires and other types: alps, katakans, moolas, bruxae and nosferats, which also display reasoning and intelligence, as well the completely bestial ekimmas and fleders.

It is likely the vampire you mention is supposed to be an actual higher vampire and simply uses a katakan model as a placeholder, or is a katakan who was lying/deluded about being a higher vampire.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
a katakan who was lying/deluded about being a higher vampire
The beastiary makes it sound that only "higher vampires" are capable of having human appearance and intelligence, so how would a lowly katakan be able to work as a university professor and a coroner for thirty years?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
a katakan who was lying/deluded about being a higher vampire
The beastiary makes it sound that only "higher vampires" are capable of having human appearance and intelligence, so how would a lowly katakan be able to work as a university professor and a coroner for thirty years?
The bestiary is wrong, the novels mention a bunch of vampires that can appear (near-)human and aren't purely bestial. The RED team, bless their souls, did make a handful of lore mistakes.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The way this game asslicks doppelgangers is sickening. Obviously, the existence of creatures that can take the perfect appearance, mannerisms and mindset of anyone is extremely concerning... but all such concerns are handwaved as the ravings of insane fanatics, and the doppler himself is portrayed as the kindest, most honest, most wonderful person who has ever graced the world with its presence.

That is, when he isn't impersonating high-ranking city officials, which is exactly what the raving fanatics have been worried about all along. Very typical shitlib moralizing combined with rank hypocrisy and total lack of self-awareness.
Eh, the doppelganger in question is already a story character.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
It's always bad when author(s) decide to play monster apologist and #NotAllMonsters and end up demonizing humans for the sake of humanizing the monsters.

Just say that there are some magical creatures that have human-level intelligence and are not inherently hostile to humans. There's no need to overcompensate by constantly asslicking the dopplers and "higher vampires".

Even the serial killer vampire whom we fight in the Se7en re-enactment quest is only evil because he's a fanatic of the "eternal fire" for which the game has such a blithering uncontrollable hatred. Can't just have a vampire who kills because he's a vampire, nooooo, it has to be muh ebulz rElIgIon! *dons fedora*

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Witcher 1 has that, having nothing to do with religion. Just a self reflection on what Geralt believes Witchers fundamentally are.

Another reason why it's the best Witcher

You can make an argument that one of the signs of intelligence is that a criminal will find a way to justify their crimes rather than just being evil

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
the "eternal fire" for which the game has such a blithering uncontrollable hatred
Which is terribly sad, given that in the novels the Eternal Fire is a faith of hope, progress, purification and enlightement.
Really? I had assumed that Sapkowsky or whatshisname was responsible for this travesty. I guess CD Project Rekt is just permanently seething with hatred for Catholicism Eternal Fire. Probably the worst aspect of the whole game, tbh.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Witcher 3 suffers from the lack of best friend Siegfried. I don't know why so many characters like him, Kalkstein, etc. were thrown to the side.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
One thing I regret is brewing all those decoctions. I thought they would help me fight the monster from which they are brewed, but they just have random effects that don't help. They're all fucking useless and cluttering my inventory. Can I get rid of them?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One thing I regret is brewing all those decoctions. I thought they would help me fight the monster from which they are brewed, but they just have random effects that don't help. They're all fucking useless and cluttering my inventory. Can I get rid of them?
Troll decoction is pretty good in a pinch.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Witcher 3 suffers from the lack of best friend Siegfried. I don't know why so many characters like him, Kalkstein, etc. were thrown to the side.
where's iorweth he was in the last game lol
cdpr's approach to the franchise is very much "this is a new game get over it" and i'm not against it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom