Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gerrard

Arcane
From

to

:rpgcodex:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
There is no reason why this wouldn't be xbone version, and if it is it should make PC players happier, because on PC it will look even better.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Funny he should say that because the game literally is hand-holding you throughout that quest, through Gernald telling himself he should investigate more. Speaking out loud all the fucking time, telling you what to do and where to go.
Yeah, this bugs me too. Not because it breaks the game for me or anything, it is just a sign that the game is tailored for the mainstream audiance, who cannot think for themselves.

See.. I don't buy this.. Name one game that actually puts you on a quest with a secret alternative solution without any hints.. They are out there but not the norm for even the last 15 years..

Every game I can think of.. if there is an alternate it's always obviously shown.. "Hmm.. a Locked Door" "Hmmm Blood on the floor what could it mean"..

You see these "Hints" all the time.. Geralt vocalizing something that a Witcher might know and a fat nerd might not just because of the limitation of what a game can show / or imply isn't really that bad. In this example.. You go and find where the wagon ran off the road based on what the merchant says - you see an arrow sticking in a horse and actually have to click it.. then he says "Hmm an arrow"..

WoW.. That Betrayal.. How dare they question my intelligence.. I saw the fucking arrow!! I am very smart and don't need to be sassed by witcher batman.

If it gets into "Press X To learn the merchants true intentions" territory.. fine.. But Like to cherry pick that then jerk off on yourself over PoE's "Depth" is pretty hypocritical.

EDIT:

I just wanna add something from the perspective of a developer.
Call me a shill.. but so many games have tailored us to take things at face value.. If I didn't see that I could click the arrow or got some feedback from the game that the arrow was important.. my first impression would be.. wow the level designer was a fucking idiot.. why would the horse be shot with arrows.. probably a reused asset.

That's how crappy games are now.. we need to be told when a game is going above and beyond because most games don't anymore

There's a difference between the game giving you hints and the game telling you what the hint means.

And it did get into "press X to learn the merchant's true intentions" territory since Geralt only needs to tell him the scene looked very suspect to solve the "mystery". I can't even see how someone would miss it since Geralt needs to walk past the cart to pick up the box.

hiver

and a fat nerd might not just because of the limitation of what a game can show
such an accidental projection.

the game shows the arrow in the horse quite clearly you fat nerd.

you just have to connect the dots yourself, instead of Gentrold literally telling you "hey there s an arrow in that horse, isnt that strange eh? EH? Must investigate more (moron)!"

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
There's a difference between the game giving you hints and the game telling you what the hint means.

you just have to connect the dots yourself, instead of Gentrold literally telling you "hey there s an arrow in that horse, isnt that strange eh? EH? Must investigate more (moron)!"

He literally says
"Hmm an Arrow.. The Merchant didn't mention this"
"Hmm This is where the wagon ran off the road"
"Must be that box he wanted.. splattered in human blood" (How would the fat nerd know it's human blood.. oh wait it's that thing I mentioned about context that games can't show)

After you find the relevant things.. He confirms what was just found.. so what?

It's not like you pick up the chest and he's like "Hmm I don't Trust this merchant.. I better keep looking"

New Quest: The Shady Deal
- Find 0/3 Clues that the Merchant is a Fucker.

It's really not a big deal.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.

And it did get into "press X to learn the merchant's true intentions" territory since Geralt only needs to tell him the scene looked very suspect to solve the "mystery". I can't even see how someone would miss it since Geralt needs to walk past the cart to pick up the box.
This. FFS it wasn't even that long ago we had Risen or even Gothic 3. Where you could look around and see for yourself where the bandits/rebels/monsters are based on the environment and what was lying around. Arrows stuck in trees from a certain direction, people's possessions scattered around as they flee into the woods etc.

If they really wanted Geralt to talk to himself so badly, they could've just had something like "Hmm, interesting." Rather than "See that over there, I can follow the blood trail with my special senses! Better get ready for combat too, just in case something is in that cave!"

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Just saw your edit.. I don't disagree with you but your fighting a moot point.

Let's say you find the arrow and nothing happens.. you just collected the arrow.. When you get back to the Merchant.. what are you gonna do? Get your headset out and speak to the merchant saying Hey bitch I found this arrow..

No.. You will immediately have a dialogue option saying "Hey what's up with this arrow".. So you either find the arrow's importance when you pick it up or when you go to hand him the box. Same shit different field.

If you just find Geralt annoying.. I won't argue that point..

This. FFS it wasn't even that long ago we had Risen or even Gothic 3. Where you could look around and see for yourself where the bandits/rebels/monsters are based on the environment and what was lying around. Arrows stuck in trees from a certain direction, people's possessions scattered around as they flee into the woods etc.

If they really wanted Geralt to talk to himself so badly, they could've just had something like "Hmm, interesting." Rather than "See that over there, I can follow the blood trail with my special senses! Better get ready for combat too, just in case something is in that cave!"

If you wanna argue that Geralt will get annoying talking to himself all the time.. I won't disagree and I hope there is an option to turn it off.

hiver

nah, nothing is a big deal, when cheap satisfaction is concerned.

not the fact that the cart and the monsters are like 20 meters away from the quest giver,
Not the fact that Geralt mediated right in front of that guy for hours, - why?
not the fact that he killed the cart driver and the horse with an arrow while having a bow over his back for everyone to see - and then asked a fucking witcher who just happened to walk by to go and get his loot while lying it was monsters that killed his horse, knowing full well his arrows are still in the horse and the cart drivers body right there. - I guess he counted on stupid fat nerds not having enough brains to figure it out!
not the fact that "Geralt senses" show enemies blips on his radar from far away, so you wouldnt be maybe surprised by a scary drowner or two,
nor the fact that he just escapes while Geriold just watches him go,
not the fact that once he starts running there is a shining dot on the mini map radar system showing you where he is going.

and i just loved that torch whipping out of Geralts pants of limitless torches holding, with insta flame acme trigger on/off switch, and then whipping back into his pants
Instead of maybe you know Gerold maybe using an Igni sing to light it up - because that would be tedious for morons.

Not to mention that witchers should not need any fucking torches in the first place,

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
not the fact that the cart and the monsters are like 20 meters away from the quest giver,
not the fact that he killed the cart driver and the horse with an arrow while having a bow over his back for everyone to see - and then asked a fucking witcher who just happened to walk by to go and get his loot while lying it was monsters that killed his horse, knowing full well his arrows are still in the horse and the cart drivers body right there. - I guess he counted on stupid fat nerds not having enough brains to figure it out!
not the fact that "Geralt senses" show enemies blips on his radar from far away, so you wouldnt be maybe surprised by a scary drowner or two,
nor the fact that he just escapes while Geriold just watches him go, and not once he starts running there is a shining dot on the mini map radar system showing you where he is going.

All valid concerns.. but what were you expecting honestly? The game is open world looking to aim a little higher then Skyrim and this is one random bullshit quest on a random road.

If you were expecting more then this - insanely in-depth plots and extreme reactivity from every NPC for everything Geralt does.. the game would be 120 gigs and be finished sometime in 2020

Also if that is your threshold for a good game.. can you stop jerking your pud to PoE in the other thread?

hiver

honestly, im expecting not to be addressed by low unintelligent scum as if they know what i am thinking or claiming i am... jerking my pud over PoE... when im mostly doing the opposite.

I am expecting that stupid shit retards like yourself are not given human rights too, but thats another subject...

As for the game, i would expect that such idiotic subquest are not there at all, or if they have to be then they have setups that dont hurt my brain,
just so cretinous morons like yourself can get some satisfaction,

while arguing for ultimate conformity to stupid shit from everyone, using absolute defeatism as logic in order to feel better about whatever fires off a few dopamin receptors in whatever is left of your brain.

How about that? is that TOO MUCH TO ASK?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
honestly, im expecting not to be addressed by low unintelligent scum as if they know what i am thinking or claiming i am... jerking my pud over PoE... when im mostly doing the opposite.

I am expecting that stupid shit retards like yourself are not given human rights too, but thats another subject...

As for the game, i would expect that such idiotic subquest are not there at all, or if they have to be then they have setups that dont hurt my brain,
just so cretinous morons like yourself can get some satisfaction,

while arguing for ultimate conformity to stupid shit from everyone, using absolute defeatism as logic in order to feel better about whatever fires off a few dopamin receptors in whatever is left of your brain.

How about that? is that TOO MUCH TO ASK?

Please show me what magical game you play that has the depth you are looking for in every subquest*. I want to play it.

Honestly, It is too much to ask. :lol:

* At this scale, I don't want "Hivers Furst NWN Module / MUD Campaign" that has one quest in a 25 minute game.

hiver

Youll first have to tell me What "depth i am looking for".

Start that sentence with "well obviously", see what happens.

- oh and explain that idiot statements about me and PoE too, while youre at it shitbrain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Youll first have to tell me What "depth i am looking for".

and start that sentence with "well obviously" see what happens.
Sure -
Quests with multiple resolutions provided purely by in-game context (No Forth Wall Breaking to provide hints or guidance) and full reactivity from NPC's around you. So if you were say to meditate next to a farmer, he would respond how a real person would respond.

Actually, You already made a great list:

- The Monsters should be >20 Meters from the Quest Giver
- Reactivity for actions by the protagonist (Meditating next to a scrupulous merchant would give some kind of result other then him staring at you blankly)
- No Immersion breaking narratives like Merchants Asking Witcher collect their mcguffins or people shooting bows unrealistically.
- No Forth Wall Breaking to provide hints or guidance
- Full Player Agency to resolve quests the way they want
- If your game has special abilities, make sure that the element of surprise still plays a role for enemies
- NPC's should not be able to escape if the player character could clearly outrun / kill him and the player wishes to do so.

hiver

Oh for fuck sake...

i just watched what happens with the chase... oh fuck... :lol:
Not only is Geralt horse faster so you catch up with the bad guy who is riding straight over the road, but you get a fucking slow mo when you come close :lol: and you swing once in general vicinity of the guy ... and you get a cutscene!!

Ahahaha!

H2Wowp5.jpg

Oh gaaaawdd.... the guy is actually a comando from a disbanded unti which is fighting a good fight ahahahaha!

And Geralt buys that just because that guy told him so!

And then you have a choice of
- Youre free! :lol:
- im taking you to the enemy :lol:
- youre free but im keeping the stuff! :lol:

and then you get another cutscene where Geralt is turning the guy over, who knows where - you just teleport there, and the guy still has the bow over his back!!

pPkmL2d.jpg

Quests with multiple resolutions provided purely by in-game context
Did i say that you stupid shit? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Oh for fuck sake...

i just watched what happens with the chase... oh fuck... :lol:
Not only is Geralt horse faster so you catch up with the bad guy who is riding straight over the road, but you get a fucking slow mo when you come close :lol: and you swing once in general vicinity of the guy ... and you get a cutscene!!

Ahahaha!

H2Wowp5.jpg

Quests with multiple resolutions provided purely by in-game context
Did i say that you stupid shit? :lol:

A wise man once said "Address the things i say not what you imagine. Or else."

But I think he was just butt hurt by his projected feelings that people didn't read or respond to his arguments which ironically is what he did all along. :lol:

INB4 the edit

hiver

Look you retarded stupid incoherent moron,
All that shit you wrote you invented yourself! :lol: How can you be that fucking stupid?

None of those were even mentioned by me.
just... fuck off.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Look you retarded stupid incoherent moron,
All that shit you wrote you invented yourself! :lol: How can you be that fucking stupid?

None of those were even mentioned by me.
just... fuck off.

nah, nothing is a big deal, when cheap satisfaction is concerned.

nor the fact that he just escapes while Geriold just watches him go,
not the fact that once he starts running there is a shining dot on the mini map radar system showing you where he is going.

and i just loved that torch whipping out of Geralts pants of limitless torches holding, with insta flame acme trigger on/off switch, and then whipping back into his pants
Instead of maybe you know Gerold maybe using an Igni sing to light it up - because that would be tedious for morons.

Not to mention that witchers should not need any fucking torches in the first place,

- The Monsters should be >20 Meters from the Quest Giver
not the fact that the cart and the monsters are like 20 meters away from the quest give

- Reactivity for actions by the protagonist (Meditating next to a scrupulous merchant would give some kind of result other then him staring at you blankly)

- No Immersion breaking narratives like Merchants Asking Witcher collect their mcguffins or people shooting bows unrealistically.
not the fact that he killed the cart driver and the horse with an arrow while having a bow over his back for everyone to see - and then asked a fucking witcher who just happened to walk by to go and get his loot while lying it was monsters

- No Forth Wall Breaking to provide hints or guidance
- Full Player Agency to resolve quests the way they want
you just have to connect the dots yourself, instead of Gentrold literally telling you "hey there s an arrow in that horse, isnt that strange eh? EH? Must investigate more (moron)!

- If your game has special abilities, make sure that the element of surprise still plays a role for enemies
not the fact that "Geralt senses" show enemies blips on his radar from far away, so you wouldnt be maybe surprised by a scary drowner or two
- NPC's should not be able to escape if the player character could clearly outrun / kill him and the player wishes to do so.
nor the fact that he just escapes while Geriold just watches him go, and not once he starts running there is a shining dot on the mini map radar system showing you where he is going.

Are you sure -you- could solve the quest without Geralts help?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom