Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
GTAIII - TW1 (PC first: great game, rough but innovative)
GTAVC - TW2 (PC first: kept the first game formula, improved everything improvable)

That's the most inaccurate comparision I have seen since i browsed internet recently.

LOL you have a point. When I wrote that 2nd line, I was thinking GTAVC more than TW2 (which I kinda dislike with a passion, as an RPG). But that post of mine was a total fail on all fronts, and I'm even leaving there rather than cowardly deleting it as a memento of my own shame.

Suchy

Arcane
2504401-6535952199-ip9VU.gif

cWf3DID.png

lel
No wonder they had to delay it twice, they had to remake the whole fucking game.

Heh, notice how in the animated gif the background is actually a completely flat, static skybox texture.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Good to see Zoltan cheerful again,

OxJ3v2B.jpg

I love the dwarven characters in the books. Their slang doesn't translate very well, but just their attitudes are perfect enough. Zoltan also had a parrot iirc. (Marshall "Duda", in Czech it means "bagpipes", but is also an euphemism for boobs) And then in one of the later books the dwarves all come together and fight side by side in the battle of Brenna, creating the most epic battle scene I've ever read.

Ultra

Educated
I am preloading the game just to see how it runs on my i7-960 with AMD 6950. It's below requirements, but I bet that old beast can make it playable.

I was a bit worried when my 4 year old 6950 couldn't get a consistent 60 fps on the new Mortal Kombat but after I turned off the DoF and bloom (lol) it was choking on it runs perfectly and this is on a notoriously shitty port.
I don't see anything in the latest W3 screenshots that suggests it shouldn't be fine with this either. Not usually a penny pincher but if this gen doesn't demand an upgrade because consoles then fuck it I'm happy with what I have.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I saw this being posted around. Not sure if its true but..

The GOG version of The Witcher 3 is available for pre-loading, and some users found the XML options via which PC gamers will be – most probably – able to tweak the game’s graphics settings. Via the game’s XML files, PC gamers can enable the Sharpening filter (that was used in most early screenshots). Not only that, but there is an “Uber” quality for a lot of graphics options (including the game’s Terrain, Textures and LOD settings).

As we can see, the game comes with Low, Medium, High and Uber settings for a variety of options. The game will feature “Uber” textures that will be 2048×2048 in size. Moreover, Grass Density can also be increased to “Uber” quality, as well as Foliage Visibility, Shadow distance scaling and Water tessellation.Moreover, the game will support NVIDIA’s HBAO technique.

Divinity: Original Sin
Darth Slaughter , good one. Although, in all fairness, I eat @ BK on a weekly basis and have never been presented with such a horribly assembled product, nor I have during my past forays at McD. The graphic does have a point, but they really picked the worst possible examples just to make their case (and yes, news at 11, welcome to the wondrous world of marketing).
it's because yopu eating PC hamburgers. The picture I post is made with console version hamburgers.:troll:

Echo Mirage

Arcane
CDPR has made a statement on the official forums.

Ok guys, I belive a word of clarification is required. These are just rumors, and as we've said before we don't comment on such. Secondly you have to remember that our game is a big release - a lot of people have been anticipating it and quite a few would like to gain some publicity from it even when it means talking about things which are not true. Wild Hunt comes out in a few days and you will be able to find out for yourself if the game is up to your standards. We believe so - we've worked really hard for 3 years to deliver you best possible experience - we love The Witcher as much as you do. To conlude we'd rather have you focus on the game and the fact that it's going to be in your hand in a matter of days. And one more thing - whenever we say something officially, we always put a person behind it.

:hearnoevil:

MasPingon

Arcane
CDPR has made a statement on the official forums.

Ok guys, I belive a word of clarification is required. These are just rumors, and as we've said before we don't comment on such. Secondly you have to remember that our game is a big release - a lot of people have been anticipating it and quite a few would like to gain some publicity from it even when it means talking about things which are not true. Wild Hunt comes out in a few days and you will be able to find out for yourself if the game is up to your standards. We believe so - we've worked really hard for 3 years to deliver you best possible experience - we love The Witcher as much as you do. To conlude we'd rather have you focus on the game and the fact that it's going to be in your hand in a matter of days. And one more thing - whenever we say something officially, we always put a person behind it.

:hearnoevil:

What a bullshit, he basically said nothing.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Darth Slaughter , good one. Although, in all fairness, I eat @ BK on a weekly basis and have never been presented with such a horribly assembled product, nor I have during my past forays at McD. The graphic does have a point, but they really picked the worst possible examples just to make their case (and yes, news at 11, welcome to the wondrous world of marketing).
it's because yopu eating PC hamburgers. The picture I post is made with console version hamburgers.:troll:

This totally makes sense. Those clerks at BK must surely feel my PC-master-race testosterone filling the air, the hot metallic smell of overheated GPUs and the familiar whirring of well-aligned fans. They can tell from my 1000-yeards stare that I've been through loads of tape-loading times on the C64 (pffft and people complain about PoE's...), before I acquired a most prestigious 5'25 floppy drive. There is no way they can stay oblivious to the luminous aura of a true PC-master-race guy such as I am.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Lol yeah that is a weak response from cdpr. But as was already pointed out in this thread, it is from an anonymous source, so the validity is questionable. Now they basically said just that ( we dont validate it so shut up ) but what they should have said would be that the PC version would be the obvious best version graphically and this anonymous message is bs. Btw thread locked, forum moderated by nazis apparently.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Is it that hard for them to release an uncompressed video with the pc version at max settings ? It's pathetic how they keep saying ''wait till you get the game and see it for yourself',' oh fuck off you lying son of a bitch,just show me the real footage and fuck off with your PR bullshit.

Suchy

Arcane
Here the 2D background is even more evident:

comment_RUGFnzeVDO2uWuvrJYVDkpqwNJDusQBx.gif

There's really nothing behind the stacks of hay, just a flat texture.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Is it that hard for them to release an uncompressed video with the pc version at max settings ? It's pathetic how they keep saying ''wait till you get the game and see it for yourself',' oh fuck off you lying son of a bitch,just show me the real footage and fuck off with your PR bullshit.

This.

And their forum moderation policies really suck sweaty ass. Like Obsidian's (think Firedorn).

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Here the 2D background is even more evident:

comment_RUGFnzeVDO2uWuvrJYVDkpqwNJDusQBx.gif

The abuse of "floating shit in the air" is also pretty evident. It's starting to annoy me, mostly because most games just ABUSE it. Shit floating/drifting everywhere. Snowflakes. Leaves. Ashes. Embers. Petals. Pollen. Cocks. WTF? On an average year, there's probably 30 days total in which there is shit floating around, out of which it's 20 snow, 5 leaves, 5 "other". But not in videogames, no sir. Every single day, no matter the season or weather, there's shit floating around. Yes, it's a nice touch, but only when used conservatively (kinda like bloom: a little bit makes some scenes "magical"/"eerie"/"supernatural", a bloomfest just makes it gay, exactly like Bloom does to the movie he stars in, coincidentally).

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
(dwarven part from battle of Brenna, from the fan translation of "Lady of the Lake", some fixes by me, + a new translation of the Mahakam warsong, which didn't make much sense in the fanslation.)

Some of the men from Brugge were cornered at the pond and put up a desperate fight, milling about their flags with a crossed anchor. On the field the Black ones murdered the infantry who were devoid of support.
After a while of furious galloping, they emerged from the dust in front of an infantry square who were defending themselves like a turtle with a wall of shields and like the skin of a hedgehog covered with spears. Over the square loomed a huge banner with crossed hammers and next to it was a pole with skulls and horsetails.
Then the wall of shields opened before them. They were inside the square, in a crumbling ring of dwarves in mail shirts and helmets, among the Redanian infantry, the cavalry of Brugge and the light armoured condottieres.

What did you say?’ Barclay Els said yanking his beard.‘What did you say, eldest son of Anzelm Aubry? Do you think we're twiddlin' our thumbs here? We are under attack by Nilfgaard! It's not our fault that the lads from Brugge are gettin' beat!
‘But the orders...’
‘I don’t give a shit about the orders!’
‘If we do not close the gap,’ Pretty Kitty shouted over the noise, ‘the Black ones will break through the front! They will break through the front! Opening our ranks, Barclay! You must march there!’

‘We’ll be slaughtered before we can leave the pond! We’ll die for nothing!’
‘So, what do you propose?’

The dwarf furiously cursed, took off his helmet and threw it on the ground. His eyes were wild, terrible and bloodshot. Chiquita, frightened by the roar, pulled at the reins.

‘Fetch me Yarpen Zigrin and Dennis Cranmer! Hurry!’

Two dwarves waded out of the bloodiest part of the battle; it was clear at first glance.
Both were covered in blood. The chainmail of one had a nasty deep gash in it. The other had his head bandaged with a cloth, which was soaked in blood.

‘Are you alright, Zigrin?’
‘I wonder,’ sighed the dwarf, ‘why's everyone asking me that?’

Barclay turned and fixed his eyes on the Constable’s messenger.
‘This is the eldest son of Anzelm. The Constable and the King have commanded that we go to the front to help them.
Make sure you keep your eyes open, trumpeter. There will be something to look at.’

‘Beat, Kill! Kill all the motherfuckers!’
‘At the same pace!’ Barclay Els shouted. ‘Walk the same way! Keep the ranks tight! Stay as a group! A group!’

No one is going to believe me, thought the trumpeter Aubry. When I tell people about this, no one will believe me. The square is breaking out of a full siege... Surrounded on all sides by cavalry, torn, beaten and harassed... And the square is moving. Advancing at the same
pace, in close formation, shield to shield. Advancing, treading on corpses, pushing themselves against the elite Ard Feainn division... They're advancing.

‘Beat! Keep pace! Walk the same way!’ Barclay Els shouted again. ‘Hold the ranks! The song, you whoresons, the song! Our song! Forward, for Mahakam!’

From the throats of a thousand dwarves came the famous and ancient Mahakam song of war:

"Heigh-ho! Heigh-ho! Ho!

Step by step we go.

We hate all buggers,

smash their heads!

Hack them with an ax,

kill these motherfuckers!

Heigh-ho! Heigh-ho! Ho!

After sixty-five years, when asked about those days, about the Battle of Brenna, about the square marching over corpses of friends and foes, advancing towards Golden Pond, the old woman (condotierre captain "Pretty Kitty") smiled, further wrinkling her face, which was already wrinkled and dark as a prune.
Impatiently – or maybe just pretending impatience, she waved her trembling, bony hand twisted with arthritis.
‘Neither side,’ she lisped, ‘could gain an advantage. We were in the thick of it and surrounded. They attacked us from all sides.
Everyone just killed everyone else. They us and we them... khe-khe-khh... They us and we them...’

The old woman controlled her coughing with effort. The listeners who were closest saw her wipe away a tear that was making its way through the maze of wrinkles and old scars.
‘They were as brave as us,’ she muttered. ‘Khe-khe... And we were just as strong and stubborn and fierce as they. Us and them...’

She paused. For a long time. The listeners urged her, watching her smile at the memories, at past glory. Smiling at the blurred faces of those who survived through the fog of forgetfulness. Those that could not been killed by liquor, narcotics or tuberculosis.
‘We were equally brave,’ Julia Abatemarco finished. ‘Both sides were trying to stay strong and brave. But we... we managed to be braver one minute more than they.’

Gerrard

Arcane
It doesn't matter if you can turn the graphic settings to 11 when it's the assets that were downgraded.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
I have to ask this. Kinda of topic, but it has to be asked.

Has ERYFKRAD became our new resident anus_pounder ?

bwahahah, this guy says Witcher 2's combat was challenging.

It could have been a pain in the ass if they wouldn't implement the ''they see me rolling,they hatin'' feature,it was almost imposible to escape from attacks if you wouldn't roll like a fucking barrel..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom