Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Chapter Spoilers

MasPingon

Arcane
You got to much spare time there ;] But keep it coming, nice read so far

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
A lot of choices and side quests, I'm skipping over some cause it's not even worth talking about. I'll focus on the main ones instead. Oh for the people who played the Polish version, maybe you can compare the English translation with yours.

Met Vincent the next morning. He was nowhere to be found at night.
investigation09.jpg

Geralt: Quickly
V: Good. I admit I was hoping for a bit more, but it's always a few bandits less...
G: That's the last time you use me. I'm not a general avenger...
V: Had no choice, believe me. It won't happen again, you have my word. I guess you plan to continue the investigation?
G: Don't have a choice
V: I can't help officially, but I'll leave you to it. Anything you learn I'd be glad to hear.

I decided to ask Jethro the jailor about the imprisoned Salamandra agent. Fucker's addicted to Fisstech, a drug.
investigation05.jpg

Jethro: He has powerful friends. Let that be a warning - don't annoy those more powerful than you.
Geralt: I should be like the city guards - release criminals whenever someone shakes a coin pouch?
J: Hey! You're still under observation. Besides, someone bailed him out. Completely legal.
G: Who bailed him out?
J: No idea... Money was transferred from Vivaldi's dwarven bank... Impossible to trace. Drop it, I could get in trouble talking like this.
G: If (King) Foltest put a reward on the Professor's head, he must detest Salamandra...
J: It's not royal gold. Privately funded.
G: interesting.
J: I can't tell you, but the sponsor's representative spends his evenings at the tavern...
G: Know anything about this Salamander prisoner?
J: Why would i tell you? Hmph, the captain would kill me.
G: Maybe I can persuade you
J: Powder would help...

I need to get a dose of fisstech, locals told me I could get it from Coleman, a drug dealer in the local inn, the Hairy Bear. And why would a dwarven bank bail him out. I should investigate Vivaldi as well when I have the chance.

RK47

Patron
The innkeeper sounded fearful when Geralt entered.
tavern01.jpg

Waitress: Just a witcher.
Geralt: Just?
Zoltan Chivay: Geralt, greetings!
zoltan.jpg

G: What happened?
tavern02.jpg

G: Who killed him?
Z: Damn Squirrels. Now folk will call him a good man, saying how helped old ladies...The shits began eliminating enemies without regard for the consequences.
They feel strong now they've got arms. Some fool did business with them. I suspect Haren Brogg. What terrible times...
scoiatel.jpg

Back in chapter 1, I gave a bunch of elves supplies that I was guarding. They claimed they needed medicine and food to survive. Little did I know...
tavern03.jpg

tavern04.jpg

tavern05.jpg

tavern06.jpg

tavern07.jpg

The bad news is, Coleman is the drug dealer we needed to purchase fisstech from. Time to ask the innkeeper about other sources. While at it, I also managed to gain information about a local businessman who posted the bounty on the Professor. Another lead to follow.
leuvaarden.jpg

tavern10.jpg

Time to hunt down some Salamandras :twisted:
tavern11.jpg

tavern12.jpg

Yay.

RK47

Patron
jethro01.jpg

Geralt: Tell me about that Salamandra prisoner
Jethro: But...ah-choo! I hardly know anything
G: Where is he?
J: They took him to the Lebioda hospital
G: Thanks

In the hospital, a quick bribe allowed me to ask some questions.
hospital01.jpg

Prisoner: Aaagh... Kalkstein...He...
Guard: He's passed out. Shove off.
Geralt: There's a commotion in the corridor!
Guard: Bloody thugs! Ramsmeat sent them!

Time to get dirty. Easy fight, the two guards absorbed most of the damage while I picked them off with the Group style.
hospital02.jpg

It's time to report back to Raymond.
hospital03.jpg

Raymond: He spill anything?
Geralt: No time. Ramsmeat's men attacked.
R: Sure? Strange...Ramsmeat should want Salamandra gone, unless something I don't know has occured...
G: Javed might've scared him...or paid him off
R: Something to check. Did you get anything out of the prisoner?
G: The prisoner spoke one word: Kalkstein
R: Makes sense. Perhaps he's one of Javed's partners. Kalkstein could have taken part in the experiments..
G: I've met him. He didn't look the criminal..
R: We need to check all leads. Let's get to work. I'll ask my contacts around town. You watch Kalkstein, gain his trust, get to know his plans and secrets.
G: What's next in the investigation?
R: Patience, just like fishing.
G: I prefer hunting.
R: Then gain Kalkstein's trust. If you could get him to hire you...Talk to Ramsmeat, too. But carefully - he has a short temper.

Down to Karkstein's shop, which is only a few blocks away.
kalkstein.jpg

The strange thing is, I did help him out against Salamandra agents who tried to steal his equipment in Chapter 1...so I don't really think he's involved in any way.
kalstein01.jpg

Geralt: We meet again
Kalkstein: I need your help again.
G: With what?
K: A grave matter. Something that could prove a milestone in alchemy! Connected to your profession, too. Help me fulfill my life's work! A tower stands in the forest swamp near Old Vizima...
G: A princess up top, dragon below? Thanks, but I'll pass.
K: Silence, please. Legend says a mage and alchemist built the tower. No princesses or dragons.
G: So what's my job?
K: THe mage died ages ago and the tower was forgotten. The power within it attracted and deformed nearby creatures.
G: In short, it breeds monsters?
K: Precisely. I want to examine that Source, witcher, and write a dissertation certain to immortalize my name! I'll have access to secrets that have been hidden away in that tower for years! Unfortunately, the tower is locked. I'll pay 1,000 orens to whoever helps me get inside.
G: I'll see what I can do, though I'm sure this won't be easy...
K: Were it easy, I'd not need you. Breaking into a powerful mage's lab is complicated. We must gather detailed information on the tower.
G: Where do I find it?
K: Tales of elders and swamp fold. Old books, too. Recorded wisdom is infinitely more reliable.
G: Anything specific?
K: Ranstant Alvaro's "The Secret Gates" and an alchemy treatise, "Ain Soph Aur." I know a dwarf held a copy of "The Secret Gates." The second book was lost and could be hard to find.
G: Let's talk about Salamandra
K: Hmm
G: I think you're in league with Salamandra
K: Me? Why?
G: That's what I'd like to know...Certain facts point to your relationship with Salamandra.
K: What facts?!
G: The wounded Salamander mentioned you.
K: That's likely since I hired him.
G: What for?
K: To help with my experiments...I had no idea he belonged to a secret organization.
G: He distilled the fifth essence and dusted the philosopher's stone, eh?
K: He protected me from Salamandra and did other tasks. He risked his life for me! Get out of my sight!
G: I don't believe you. I don't know enough to decide. Let's drop the subject.
K: Right, we can't waste time. When you find that criminal, I'll gladly help. But now, back to work.

Looks like it's fed-ex time.

RK47

Patron
I decided to ask Zoltan about Vivaldi's bank
vivaldi01.jpg

Geralt: How so?
Zoltan: New owners, humans
G: That explains a lot
Z: Really?

I walked over to Vivaldi's house. He also has in his possession the two books Kalkstein asked me to find.I had to shell out my own money to buy them.
Vivaldi: What?!
Geralt: Greetings, dwarf.
V: Racial segregation with the first words uttered.
G: What do I call you?
V: Bah! Humans get everything; we get naught.
G: I'm not human
V: What, then?!
G: A witcher. A mutant.
vivaldi02.jpg

G: I'm Geralt - no debt collector.
V: What brings you here?
G: I'm looking for the leader of a certain organization.
V: You suspect me because I'm a dwarf?
G: I have many suspects, not only dwarves. I've got my eyes on you.
V: Come back when you stop talking crap. *ends conversation*

G: I've figured out Azar Javed's contacts.
V: Interesting
G: Sorry I suspected you. I know you've lost control of your bank.
V: Kind to be so frank with a dwarf.
G: Any time
V: I have information about Javed that might be useful.
G: Even the smallest details sometimes are.
V: I saw his name in old files. He paid tuition at the sorcerers' school in Ban Ard. He was expelled after taking an interest in dark magic. He stopped paying tuition and that was the last trace of him in our system. You're dealing with a renegade...and a dangerous one at that.

I suppose Vivaldi is cleared. And I gained a little bit of XP for the info. I visited Thaler the fence, the one whom Jethro confiscated the witcher's silver sword from.
thaler.jpg

Who is Berengar?
berengar.jpg

Basically an outcast witcher that Geralt haven't met. We need to confirm whether he actually works or captured by Salamandra.

Thaler pointed his finger at Ramsmeat, the goon behind the thugs at the hospital. He usually hangs around the inn during the day. I butchered his house guards to unlock the house door...but he's never there.
ramsmeat.jpg

Ramsmeat: What you want?
Geralt: Ever seen the Salamandra sign?
R: Plenty of times
G: Best tell me all you know... The name Azar mean anything?
R: I have a rule. Before I slit someone's throat I give them some advice: never threaten me. Your image needs work. I'll fix it if you don't.
G: I must speak with you about Salamandra.
R: What's it to you? Do I seem like a whore?
G: No.
R: Then why are you trying to fuck me? Again, what's it to you?
G: Berengar's a friend. Salamandra may have prompted his disappearance.
R: Berengar schemed with Salamandra. As they say, keep your friends close and your enemies closer. He disappeared in the swamp. Kalkstein hired one of my boys to find him, then he disappeared. That's all. Now get lost.
G: Your people attacked me at the hospital.
R: What?! I sent them to bring back one of ours!
G: Fine, I believe you.
R: Thanks a lot, but you'll allow me not to fall at your feet...If you do happen to find Javed, I'd be glad to hear about it. And if you find any of his underlings, I'd like to chat with them.

That wraps up the two shady ends. I decided to visit Leuvardeen this time. Remember him? The guy who posted the bounty on the Professor. Yeah I know, lots of loose ends to tie up. And he's optional (I think). But I figure he's important later on.
leuvarden01.jpg

Leuvardeen: You're mistaken!
Geralt: I spoke with your messenger at the inn.
L: Bring me three salamander badges to prove yourself to me.
G: I have three Salamander badges. Will you tell me about your secret society?
L: Excellent. I normally pay 20 apiec, but I'll make an exception. I'll give you ten times that.
G: I still want to know why you need bounty hunters to track down Salamanders.
L: They're not good for business.
G: Your business?
L: ALL businesses. Listen, there are forces beyond your imagination at work here. Be thankful you don't know the world for what it is.
G: Leuvaarden, I'm not impressed by your words. My only concern is reaching the Salamandra leaders and killing Azar Javed.
L: That I'd like to see. Should you succeed, find me and I'll reward you handsomely. And if you destroy Salamandra, I will repay you for your efforts.
G: That will not be easy. I'll return and count on your assistance.
L: I'll help if I can.

It's time to drop the two books at the Baboon face alchemist, Kalkstein. I don't like him very much. His lines are so exaggerated and long. And his quest sucked. Unfortunately it's a 'must-do' quest, so bear with it.

Geralt: About the tower...
Kalkstein's: Yes?
G: I have new information on the tower.
K: Tell me, quickly!
G: Before this tower, the mage erected two others, but both collapsed. This one served as his house and lab.
K: I knew that, anything more?
G: The mage lived there until he disappeared, most likely dead. He constructed clay golems that served him but hardly seemed a major achievement.
K: That agrees with the legend of the Sentry
G: There are ten corner stones involving the elements and threads of fate from which all this was born
K: Sephirot! so the old scrolls are true!
G: one book contained hints of the stones whereabouts.
K: We must find all ten Sephirot. I own one of them - Chocc'mah, the stone of wisdom.
G: I suppose I'm to find the others?
K: Yes! Near the tower, you'll find the circle of stone obelisks. When you have all ten Sephirot, place them on the obelisks. Ah! So Close! What a breakthrough! I'll abolish the theory of those stuffy professors in Oxenfurt. I'll destroy them. Smash them!
G: Kalkstein, don't get worked up until I find the stones, which won't be easy. The information in these books is "murky" at best.
kalstein02.jpg

So I'm supposed to collect 10 stones...oh well, at least I got 5 out of 10 when I explored the city and the sewers. Will finish up the other 5 tomorrow or something. That's it for today's update.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom