Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher is popamole

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
KalosKagathos said:
ironyuri said:
Even at a technical level the combat is basically the same. In the Witcher you click in sequence to score better attacks and then mix in power attacks (the Aard etc). In Dragon Age you click to attack then use hotkeys to mix in powers, spells, potions and special moves. The Witcher has more similarities to KotOR in many ways, but the Dragon Age system is the heir of the KotOR combat system.
What. The. Fuck. Have. I. Just. Read. :retarded:

Yeah that one was quite retarded.

Also:

And your comment that Geralt is not a "likeable" protagonist? Why should he be likeable? Is the Warden a likeable character? Geralt is an asshole who believes in absolute neutrality and usually maintains some form of it. The Warden does everyone's fucking chores eventhough the Wardens are technically "neutral" and is forced constantly to side with The Circle, the Maker, the Dwarven nobles, the Elves/the Werewolves and these decisions are much less difficult than say Geralt and the Elves/Flaming Rose in the Fourth Act.

But there is no warden. You decide which personality your warden has, at least to certain extents. Whereas in TW you are forced to play geralt, therefore him being unlikeable is a more negative aspect than your character who is forced into unlikeable situations.

ironyuri

Would you care to explain why it was "retarded"?

The combat system in the Witcher has a great number of similarities to the system at play in Dragon Age if you pay attention.

Clicking when the sword turned to a flame to score the next level of attacks has scant few differences to counting down 60 seconds before you can use double-strike with two weapons again. It's timer based combat. The major difference that exists is that once you've clicked on an opponent in DA you will continue to attack until they die or you choose another, in the Witcher you were forced to constantly remind Geralt that you wanted him to attack an opponent; and yes that was highly annoying.

I made the argument that they are descended from the KotOR style of combat because you click an oppoennt and then using the menu in KotOR select type of attack, power attacks with cool downs and type of sword style to use.

Anyway... moving on from your excellent observational skills complete with an explanation of your valid opinions :salute:

What is wrong with having an unlikeable protagonist was my question. The Nameless One is not likeable. He is an asshole. Geralt is much the same. Would you have preferred to have been Leo the new Witcher and then shaped his personality yourself choosing between epic morally grey areas like whether to punch a peasant in the face or to help them (and then get sex with them either way)?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Don't lie to yourself FTR, TW is pure fedex quests galore on tiny maps

It is, for the most part. As I said, I agree with you on the gameplay.

Or was it this you were referring to when you meant unimaginative game world? I was thinking the setting...

And yes, the voice acting is abysmal. The actors don't even change their tone during intense moments, felt like listening to microsoft's voice translation software.

Don't know, compared to the cringe-worthy shit Bioware offers it's brilliant.

racofer

Thread Incliner
FeelTheRads said:
Don't know, compared to the cringe-worthy shit Bioware offers it's brilliant.

We're talking voice acting here, not dialog. At least the voice actors Bioware used in DA:O and ME1/2 were mostly good with a few exceptions, but even the not so good actors were better than what TW offered.

KalosKagathos said:
ironyuri said:
Even at a technical level the combat is basically the same. In the Witcher you click in sequence to score better attacks and then mix in power attacks (the Aard etc). In Dragon Age you click to attack then use hotkeys to mix in powers, spells, potions and special moves. The Witcher has more similarities to KotOR in many ways, but the Dragon Age system is the heir of the KotOR combat system.
What. The. Fuck. Have. I. Just. Read. :retarded:

Exactly, what the fuck was that?

*pitiful attempt at comparing TW with DA*
I'm talking TW here, not DA. And even if we were to bring DA into the table to compare both games, you're doing it all wrong from the start:

The Scoie'tael = The Dalish
Wrong. Most of the Squirrels were elves, but some of them were dwarves and halflings.

The Dalish, contrary to the Scoie'tael, didn't mix with others and with the exception of Gray Wardens, no humans or dwarves were welcome among their people in the woods. Also they were nomadic people, and didn't survive raiding travelers or attacking nearby cities. They had a established way of living that depended solely on their own and nature.

The Flaming Rose = The Paladins of the Circle
Wrong, again. The Flaming Rose were just a bunch of knights whom protected Vizma and its surroundings from non-humans and other hostile factions. It's true they never coerced the locals into paying them for their protection, but this has absolutely nothing to do with the Templars (way to prove you know nothing about DA by missing something so obvious).

The Chantry's Templars sole purpose was to watch over the mages and keep them in line. Fugitive mages were hunted down by them, and the mages had strict rules that the Templars enforced. Absolutely nothing remotely similar to the Flaming Rose.

The Grey Wardens = The Witchers
Do you even try? Taken directly from TW's wiki:
  • "Witchers (originally translated as "hexers") are sterile mutants with supernatural abilities, who receive special training at Kaer Morhen and preparation in order to become professional monster slayers for hire."

Totally the same as a Gray Warden nya?! For fucks sake....

And your comment that Geralt is not a "likeable" protagonist? Why should he be likeable? Is the Warden a likeable character?

He should be likable because he's forced on me as the only character and his personality is pretty much the same throughout the game no matter what. And "the Warden" is whatever I make him/her be.

Turjan

Arcane
racofer said:
The Flaming Rose were just a bunch of knights whom protected Vizma and its surroundings from non-humans and other hostile factions.
"Flaming Rose" reminds me of the "Flaming Fist" of Baldur's Gate, the mercenaries that protected that city.

On the other hand, I think DA took a few inspirations from The Witcher, but I don't see any direct copying. DA has many parents, and that's why it has such an utterly generic feel to me (only judging from public material and with the caveat that I haven't played the game yet).

KalosKagathos

Learned
ironyuri said:
It's timer based combat.
Sorry, but no. DA has cooldown times on abilities, but abilities are activated with a single click (and they can be activated whenever you want, there's no need to wait for the flash of a cursor). In The Witcher you're playing Simon Says non-stop.

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
ironyuri said:
Would you care to explain why it was "retarded"?

The combat system in the Witcher has a great number of similarities to the system at play in Dragon Age if you pay attention.

Clicking when the sword turned to a flame to score the next level of attacks has scant few differences to counting down 60 seconds before you can use double-strike with two weapons again. It's timer based combat. The major difference that exists is that once you've clicked on an opponent in DA you will continue to attack until they die or you choose another, in the Witcher you were forced to constantly remind Geralt that you wanted him to attack an opponent; and yes that was highly annoying.

I made the argument that they are descended from the KotOR style of combat because you click an oppoennt and then using the menu in KotOR select type of attack, power attacks with cool downs and type of sword style to use.
It's retarded because the similarities you pointed out could have been aplied to pretty much every game on the PC.
Clicking on abilitys doesn't make the combat basicly the same. If it would be than ME, WoW, Witcher, and pretty much every RPG ever made would have the same combat.

Anyway... moving on from your excellent observational skills complete with an explanation of your valid opinions :salute:

What is wrong with having an unlikeable protagonist was my question. The Nameless One is not likeable. He is an asshole. Geralt is much the same. Would you have preferred to have been Leo the new Witcher and then shaped his personality yourself choosing between epic morally grey areas like whether to punch a peasant in the face or to help them (and then get sex with them either way)?

As racofer already said. The problem is that, as soon as you are forced to play a character you don't want to play, you will be pissed.

Side note: I don't dislike unlikeable protagonists, it's quite refreshing but I see why anyone would be enraged because of it.

393px-Sex_Clerks.png

Waaay too much muscle. Reminds me of Arnold Blacknigger's ass in Terminator 2.

Strangely enough, I don't mind the Witcher. Then again, I only played it on the top difficulty, so there were no magic noises telling me when to click the mouse button, the enemies were quite difficult (many a time I had to run away, leap over things and generally think about what I was doing. Or die), and you NEEDED to use (and sometimes work out which) correct potions at the correct time.

Thrasher

Erudite
Even on hard diffculty it's very easy if you have focussed on the igni and aard and yrden signs - also, few potions required.

Abelon Blanchetourbe said:
393px-Sex_Clerks.png

Waaay too much muscle. Reminds me of Arnold Blacknigger's ass in Terminator 2.

As long as no one forces an arduous task of fucking her on you, you should be fine.

Thrasher said:
Even on hard diffculty it's very easy if you have focussed on the igni and aard and yrden signs - also, few potions required.

All you really need is igni, that's the only sign I spent my points on, and it became easy from chapter 4 anyway. Not to mention the "final boss fight", which you could literally finish with your eyes closed.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I liked Kagura and Gintoki more. Madao Gintoki likes strawberry milk and sweets, which is leaps and bound above madao Gerald.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

The witcher was a decent action adventure i guess but if its qualifying for the RPG genre (in which case you can also add Bioshock and Infamous for example, where unlike CDP not even the devs claimed their game to be RPGs.... ) then it was a pretty shit one in everything that makes RPGs great ( tactical combat, character customization & progression, stats playing a huge role, good world exploration etc. etc.).... even if the heart&soul review by a prestigious magazine will tell you that that the witcher has a focus on RPG mechanics .. yeah right, and jews hate nothing more than money.

Unfortunately the game spawned a fuckton of morons that joined at or around TWs release date and the codex declined at very rapid speed. there s absolutely no excuse for MOTB losing the RPGOTY poll at the codex to TW and unless i m missing something there s no excuse for a review as stupid and full of bullshit and fanboy faggotry as the codex witcher review that makes even gamespot look like serious journalism.

The Witcher is through and through a typical Bioware game in terms of gameplay, just an obviously different setting/writing/story etc. And while its fair game to dislike TW/Bio and like the other .... when you see all the retards who praise TW as a great RPG and yet argue that Mass Effect isnt a RPG then you know you arent dealing with RPG veterans but fanboy fucktards who might just as well be posting in a Halo vs Killzone discussion.

I think THAT is the main reason why devs are no longer posting here, not some nazi jokes or bad language.

Then again, these days alot of people have flip-flopped ( maybe GOG teached some CDP fanboys how the gameplay of actual RPGs works .... ) and TW fanboys arent as vocal anymore so whatever.

That being said , considering TWs setting is quite interesting - i d be quite interested to play a proper RPG with great gameplay in it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Re: ...

ricolikesrice said:
The Witcher is through and through a typical Bioware game in terms of gameplay, just an obviously different setting/writing/story etc. And while its fair game to dislike TW/Bio and like the other .... when you see all the retards who praise TW as a great RPG and yet argue that Mass Effect isnt a RPG then you know you arent dealing with RPG veterans but fanboy fucktards who might just as well be posting in a Halo vs Killzone discussion.

Actually Witcher is RPG, ME isn't. Bioshock is simply a FPS with nice atmosphere. Look at Witcher properly, you are running around left and right, have some drinking conquests, and you can bother prostitutes and werewolf.

While both Drakensang and Witcher have extremely restricted environments, at least they are dependent on character's stats, and not on a player's ability with the mouse.

Twinkle

Liturgist
pure fedex quests galore on tiny maps, which require the player to travel back and forth through a dozen of said tiny maps all the fucking time. Could've called the game "Loading Screens: Lots of Them" and it wouldn't be too far off from the premise of this turd.

You've described DA. Also, VtMB :retarded:

circ

Arcane
It's widely known that BW games are considered dialogue simulators/dating simulators now. And as we all know, RPG's got their start from wargames, aka, simulators. So in essence, BioWare are the only remaining true classic RPG makers remaining. So I don't get why you people keep talking shit about them so much.

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
circ said:
It's widely known that BW games are considered dialogue simulators/dating simulators now. And as we all know, RPG's got their start from wargames, aka, simulators. So in essence, BioWare are the only remaining true classic RPG makers remaining. So I don't get why you people keep talking shit about them so much.
But what about Tank-Simulators. Like Panzer-Elite.
War + Simulator = BEST AARR PEE GEE EVAR!

Antihero

Liturgist
racofer said:
Could've called the game "Loading Screens: Lots of Them" and it wouldn't be too far off from the premise of this turd.
Yes, but what loading screens they were, not too shabby at least. (Probably had to be before the EE when the loading times were a lot longer.)

Anyway, the QTE-iness of combat never really bothered me that much since it didn't especially feel to me like it was always there; even on hard you could get the timing down and simply look and listen for simple cues, so you could chain combos while half-asleep. It's not like you had to mash up-down-left-left-right all of a sudden to avoid certain death (although I'm not sure what decline TW2 has planned there).

It could have been better, but it was fun for what it was. You still had stats that affected combat and my understanding is you needed to make those combos to benefit from higher level talent-point investments - I never looked too deeply into exactly how much I'll admit. But it was piss easy to chain combos most of the time, as long as you weren't getting stunned, running around, or (maybe) switching styles non-stop.

But timed combat alone is hardly to blame for whatever lack or failings anymore than clicking once to lock onto the enemy and attacking until dead (mixed with powers or not) would be. It just seems like a boring thing to harp on - would it have been more skillful to mash or hold down the button instead (but still determined by stats)? Or do l just save myself the tendonitis?

But then there were some supposed exploits, like attacking the easier enemy in a mixed group while using group-style so you have a better chance of hitting them all. I would have thought they'd calculate that a bit more separately, so there's another thing to complain about.

(edited: queues -> cues)

Thrasher

Erudite
Antihero said:
racofer said:
Could've called the game "Loading Screens: Lots of Them" and it wouldn't be too far off from the premise of this turd.
Yes, but what loading screens they were, not too shabby at least. (Probably had to be before the EE when the loading times were a lot longer.

No. Even with EE they were too long and there were too many of them.

Antihero said:
It could have been better, but it was fun for what it was.

the :decline: continues unabated :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom