Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Review 6/6 - Norwegian

MountainWest

Scholar
Here.
(you have to scroll down)

Don't know anything about the reviewer himself, but he starts with proclaiming his love for the RPG-genre, having played games from The Bards Tale and Eye of the Beholder to the more recent Elder Scrolls and NWN. So while he doesn't name any of the best RPGs (though I had a hell of alot of fun with EotB) he's not a Halo nuthugger looking for an action game.

The Witcher er kanskje det mest åpne og ikke-lineære rollespill jeg noengang har spilt når det gjelder historien, og det faktum at dine avgjørelser i løpet av spillet har stor betydning gjør det hele utrolig spennende. Det fins ingen spill som er 100 % åpne og det er alltid begrensninger innenfor rammene, men det nærmer seg med titler som dette. The Witcher setter en ny standard og er en frisk vind i en sjanger som egentlig har stått stille i flere år når det gjelder utvikling.
The Witcher er et spill enhver rollespillentusiast bør spille, for det er ikke bare en visuell opplevelse, men det er også den dystre historien hvor valgene kan være moralsk vanskelig. Den lange spilletiden er heller ikke et minus. Jeg anbefaler dette på det sterkeste med god samvittighet.

Translation (somewhat): The Witcher is perhaps the most open and non-linear RPG I've ever played, when it comes to the story. And the fact that your choices have big consequences (though it's really 'meaning') makes it truly exciting.

There's no game that's a 100% open and there's always ramifications, but with a title like this it's getting closer. The witcher sets a new standard and is a breath of fresh air in a genre that's been standing still for many years (I like him!).

The Witcher is a game every RPG-fan should play, 'cause it's not only a visual experience but also a ... don't know the exact translation, but something like: but also a dark, gloomy story where the roads can be morally gray/undefiened.

The many hours of gameplay is another plus. I strongly (anbefaller = recommend?) this with a clean concience.

I de fleste rollespill velger man på forhånd om man vil være god eller ond og velger deretter. Det kan du jo selvfølgelig bestemme deg for her også, men du vil møte samvittigheten din i døra, der du plutselig er nødt til å velge mellom onder. Forfriskende herlig må jeg si.
Spillet tar også opp politiske- og rasespørsmål innenfor den verden Geralt lever i og dette bidrar en hel del til den moralske biten i historien.

In most RPGs you'll chose whether you're evil or good at the beginning of the game. Of course, you're free to make that choice also in this game but... you'll face happenings where you'll have chose between only evil options. Refreshing, I have to say.

The game also bring up political and race problems in the world of Geralt and this contributes a great deal to the moral aspect of the story.

Rikdom er kunnskap

Ekspertise krever kunnskap og det er en realitet i spillet. For å mestre oppdrag må man skaffe seg kunnskap om de forskjellige monstrene ved å lese bøker eller snakke med beboerne. Enkelte må man bestikke med mat, penger, gaver som diamanter, eller smykker. Eller man kan rett og slett skjenke noen av de dritfulle for å få de til å løsne litt på snakketøyet. Det samme gjelder kunnskap om forskjellige ingredienser som brukes i alkemi til å lage magiske drikker. Mange av ingrediensene finner du etter at du har lært deg hvordan du skal anskaffe dem. Urter finner du så klart spredt rundt i skog og omegn, mens andre ingredienser kommer fra monstre og dyr. Ikke alle ingrediensene vil være tilgjengelig, gratis for deg, før du har skaffet deg kunnskapen om dem. Har du ikke kunnskapen kan du alltids kjøpe ingredienser, men det er dyrt.
I tillegg må du lære deg formler slik at du får blandet sammen de rette ingrediensene. I alkemi er det også en viss frihet for at du kan eksperimentere med eksisterende formler ved å legge til nye ingredienser som ikke er oppgitt. Slik kan du lage dine egne formler, men de må jo testes og det er ikke alltid at resultatet er like hyggelig. Man må være forsiktig med å hive innpå for mange drikker samtidig for Geralt blir forgiftet av dem og kan dø om han får for mye. Derfor er det viktig at man har informasjon om motstanderne slik at man kun tar de drikkene som er nødvendig for oppgavene som venter.

Knowledge is power.

To master something you need knowledge and that's true in this game. To master a quest you need to gain knowledge of monsters through reading books or talking to villagers. You can get them to talk by giving them food, money or jewelry. The same goes for aquiering knowledge ingredients for potions and magical drinks. You'll find many of the ingredients first when you've gained knowledge of them. Of course, you'll find herbs in the forest while other ingredients will come from monsters and animals. Not all ingredients will be available to you just because you've gained knowledge of them. You'll have to buy some (which you can do even without knowledge) but it's expensive.

Furthermore you'll have to learn recepies. The Alchemy skill will give you some fredom to experiment. Though the result will not always please you.

You'll have to be careful ont to drink to many drinkls in a row 'cause that'll poison Geralt and he might DIE!!! That's why it's important to have information on the enemies so you'll use the correct potions at the right times.

Callaxes

Arbiter
Why do reviews apear so early? You need atleast 10 days to play the motherfucking game. Remember Lionheart anyone?

The same hyped reaction with a exagerated pros and little cons, a flawless 6/6 score. It's basicly the same as the reviewers giving Oblivion or Mass Effect 9.5/10 scores. The only difference is that maybe, just maybe we have a good game on our hands this time, but frankly I see this review as a masturbation of the writters capabilities, he might be a good reviewer, but right now he's acting just like the console kiddies drooling for Muzyka's and Molyneux's next games.

Monolith

Prophet
http://www.n4g.com/pc/News-32548.aspx

"I find Oblivion boring – it’s an MMO without multiplayer," says The Witcher's Michal Madej, chief designer on the game in an exclusive interview with PCGZine, the free PC games magazine. "We’re similar in terms of graphics, we also use cutting edge visuals, and we’re also trying to reach casual gamers. But Oblivion is more about freedom and a huge world to explore, whereas we have a great story to explore. In Oblivion you can finish the story in a couple of hours or miss the story altogether. Our game is about the plot, so it’s more like a book or film. I think Oblivion will appeal to people who don’t have much else to do. I don’t have the time to sacrifice for it."

First time I see a developer criticise Oblivion.

Marsal

Arcane
Callaxes said:
Why do reviews apear so early? You need atleast 10 days to play the motherfucking game. Remember Lionheart anyone?
True, but you're forgetting that it takes a couple of weeks to "manufacture" the media and the rest of game "hardware". The gold version is sent to magazines almost right after being sent to the plant, I presume.

Monolith said:
That bastard! :shock:

Black

Arcane
That already happened with FO3 hype.
Everyone already knew that 'oblivion is teh shitz and has retarded faces, stupid level scalling, shitload of bugs and is crappy in general. But man, FO3 will kick so much asses lololol."

Balor

Arcane
@ Monolith
You've missed all those VD's newsposts? You must be blind or something :P.
After all, VD is also a developer.

Black

Arcane
Balor said:
@ Monolith
You've missed all those VD's newsposts? You must be blind or something :P.
After all, VD is also a developer.
But VD decided to hate bethesda since 1939 (like everyone who doesn't like FO3/oblivion) so he doesn't count.

Monolith

Prophet
I'll settle for the "something" ;) Yeah, I guess you got me there. But VD is different from other developers on so many levels, it's not fair anymore to push him into the same category. Besides, it's not his full-time job.

Azarkon

Arcane

For some reason the hype surrounding The Witcher is saturated with European nationalism (continentalism?); so much rhetoric about how American RPGs suck and are imitations of the great RPGs in Europe. I guess it's the setting of the game, which maybe the Europeans think is the first un-bastardized version of medieval Europe or something.

MountainWest

Scholar
Azarkon said:

For some reason the hype surrounding The Witcher is saturated with European nationalism (continentalism?); so much rhetoric about how American RPGs suck and are imitations of the great RPGs in Europe. I guess it's the setting of the game, which maybe the Europeans think is the first un-bastardized version of medieval Europe or something.

Where have you read that? Not that I doubt you, I just want to read in on the drama.

Azarkon

Arcane
Where have you read that? Not that I doubt you, I just want to read in on the drama.

This thread has a link to one preview where they talk about it: http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 9&start=50

There's also just a lot of ambience that suggest it, like how the Witcher's depiction of medieval fantasy is "truer" to the setting and the generally condescending tone the developers adopt, such as in criticizing Oblivion (not that their criticism isn't accurate, but that developers generally demonstrate mutual respect towards one another's products and don't call them a waste of time).

dagorkan

Arbiter
Azarkon said:
I prefer American games. The only good European RPGs I can think of were the ROA/Attic Entertainment ones. Of my favorite games of any genre ROA and X-Com (1 & 2 developed in the UK).

Texas Red

Whiner
Im just glad that everything works. I half expected people to discover something horrible about the game that would render it unplayable.

xantrius

Liturgist
Marsal said:
Callaxes said:
True, but you're forgetting that it takes a couple of weeks to "manufacture" the media and the rest of game "hardware". The gold version is sent to magazines almost right after being sent to the plant, I presume.

Yes megazines often get there hands on games before they're published for the general public. At least that is the case with the danish pc magazine Pcplayer.

MountainWest wrote:
The many hours of gameplay is another plus. I strongly (anbefaller = recommend?) this with a clean concience.

Yes, recommend would be an apt translation.

And thanks for the review, although my head is spinning now; haven't read anything in Norwegian for quite some time...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom