Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Worst RPG You Spent The Most Hours On

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I will shamelessly pick Skyrim.
Despite not being a traditional and pure RPG in every sense of the word,and the HUGE number of bugs which infuriated me and made me uninstall it quite a couple of times(around the time it came out,maybe two years),there is something about the game which tends to grow on you. Like a tumor...
Anyway,I like the atmosphere,the Jeremy Soule soundtrack,I LIKE maiming and decapitating Thalmor bitches and bandits,and that's it.
I tend to play it from time to time(only bugfixes installed,no mods). I am sure we all know about the "wonderful" Skyrim modding community. Cough *Loverslab* cough.

Ultima 8: Horribly broken, buggy, joyless, impossible to control or fight, terrible writing and world-building, yet I beat it. I would normally not consider it a victory because I was cheating constantly, but the game is nearly impossible even if you cheat, so I make an exception for this.

NES Rambo: All the flaws of Ultima 8 but worse, a game that makes shit like Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Garfield: A Week of Garfield and Platoon look simple and easy to control. My white whale and truly one of the worst games in the world.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Probably Skyrim, but most of those hours were when I was a stupid child. As a fully conscious adult, it's typically games that I keep trying to convince myself to like, such as Serpent Isle and KotOR. The games I've had this experience with the most, though, are the non-RPGs Dishonored 1 and 2. I really wanted to like them like everyone else, but they're just shit.

The Limper

Educated
1 - The Dark Queen of Krynn. What a repetitive piece of garbage. CoK and DKoK were beautiful, full of replay with different builds. DQoK was just unleash all massive damage spells every battle. Made Kenders and Dwarves worthless with the level cap. So much potential wasted.

pickmeister

Learned
35 hours in Horizon: Zero Dawn.
At first I hated it on PS4 because I can’t do shit with a controller.
Later I played it when it released on PC and found out it wasn’t because of my absence of skill with a controller but because the game is just fucking boring.
Completely uninteresting story with ugly bloated main character voiced by that blue-haired dyke from Life is Strange. There’s always that cuntiness in her voice I can’t stand. And of course, she needs to show to everyone how strong and independent wahman she is.
The ubishit gameplay doesn’t help either and the only interesting thing about the game is the world which by itself isn’t enough.

I also have to mention 116 hours in Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
Great idea, janky mess. Every part of that game is almost there, just this close to being great but nope.
Repetitive music, combat that works only in 1-on-1 situations, which almost never happen, barely working stealth system, boring, extremely long, and wooden dialogues acted as slowly as humanly possible, horse constantly getting stuck behind a terrain.
The story and all side quests are just okay, not great, not terrible.
Characters are not sympathetic or relatable by any means and all the character models look bloated like Reddit moderation team. Shouldn’t those peasants work in the fields all day getting chiseled as fuck?
The crashes with restrictive save game system is just a rage-inducing cherry in top.
The only enjoyable parts were some cutscenes with some of them working only as a cocktease. Like seeing 100 men army in pre-rendered cutscene but getting barely 15 in the game.

I don’t understand the sentiment against Skyrim.
It’s not anything great but it’s still enjoyable in GTA kind of way. It’s Fast and Furious of movies. Shitty but enjoyable for just fucking around.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Probably Oblivion. Back then I was a completionist, so I finished the main story and expansion. The start wasn't really that bad, but the more you play it the more you notice how soulless and simple the game is, everything is retarded and badly written, the characters and cringe dialogue, quests, copy-paste environments, the voice acting, mechanics, horrible plastic faces, the engine and on and on. If someone told me to play it again now, I would just shrink back in horror, no way man, once was enough.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
How is ADOM dogshit?
I can't be bothered to write a dissertation. If you can stomach the stupid star sign bullshit, looking at that stupid overworld, doing the same quests over and over again, reading the same stupid "tastes like pork... like old pork" messages over and over again, having random wooden fucking dungeon doors explode in your face for no reason over and over again, dealing with the shitty "+1d5" skill system... then more power to you. I can't. It's horrible.

I vastly prefer roguelikes that have just a single dungeon.

garren

Arcane
Patron
I can understand why some people don't like ADOM. It is extremely unfair at times and instadeath can happen at a notice. Picking the wrong class can make the game even harder. Browsing the wiki is almost required if you want to complete the game. Personally though, I enjoy it, warts and all. I like the overworld and different dungeons, and once you've gone through the wiki a couple times, you know how to avoid most of the pitfalls :lol:.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I played so much Dark Souls 2, just a single character, crushing my pvp enemies over and over with my crypt blacksword, didn't even bother with pve after a while.

Mychkine

Educated
Oblivion would be the most glaring example. Took me time to notice that the game wasn't the proper successor to Morrowind and would never cease to be a bland, uninsipired game plagued by its copy-pasted environments and godawful level scaling (The thief guild storyline, while good, doesn't redeem the whole game). Good point was that it made me discover the Codex, which was at that time the only place on the internet where the game was treated as it deserved.
Honorable mentions go to Skyrim, whose Norse theme park feeling I didn't like at all, or Dragon Age 1, where the endless dragging through filler combat ended with me disliking the game a lot.

Chunkyman

Augur
Dragon Age II, one of the worst games in general I've ever played and finished the whole thing. Skyrim had many more hours but it wasn't completely shit as it still functioned okay as a hiking simulator (next game is likely fucked without Jeremy Soule btw).

Rieser

Scholar
Probably D:OS 2. It's not my kind of game and I loathe the writing, but damn near anything is fun enough when playing with friends.

__scribbles__

Educated
I don’t understand the sentiment against Skyrim.
Because it's a Bethesda game, sold well, and got tons of praise from general gaming audiences who consider it an amazing game while being relatively shallow compared to previous entries. Most active posters here feel that Skyrim gets very overhyped by more casual gamers, especially ones who didn't play the other games in the series.
I played so much Dark Souls 2, just a single character, crushing my pvp enemies over and over with my crypt blacksword, didn't even bother with pve after a while.
It's fascinating how a game in a series usually criticized for its PvP and lauded for its PvE has a legacy that's for the most part the opposite of the trend established by the other titles.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Neverwinter Nights. Came for the single player campaign, stayed for the online part of the game. Met some cool people from all over the world. We used to chat, and play games for 10+ years.
This one is mine as well, although that's mainly down to playing around with the Toolset. That was probably my first computer game "modding" experience until Morrowind, and alongside Morrowind, very nearly my last. The only two proper mods I recall releasing (surprisingly, people did use them, to the point of emailing me for re-ups when the files went down on whichever sites were hosting them) were grammar correction mods, one for GalCivII and another for some post apocalypse-themed, hex-based strategy game that I now forget the title of. It was followed by a similar Hell-themed hex-based game from the same developer, perhaps someone remembers them).

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
two worlds 2. it's massively unbalanced and uneven in terms of quality, but there is something about it that keeps you coming back for more - and it ain't the troll 2/the room tier voice acting

ResetRPG

Novice
skyrim- really liked it when i was younger.

just replayed it a lot for the nostalgia factor

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom