Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News There are two kind of elves in Dragon Age

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Dragon Age

Can you guess what they are? If you guessed "City" and "Country" you win a prize. <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/101/1017493p1.html">According to IGN</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Regardless of your choice, the story begins the same; you're awakened by your female cousin on your wedding day. It's an arranged marriage and you don't know the groom/bride, so the dialogue choices give you some options to express how happy or reluctant you are about the whole affair.
<br>
[...]
<br>
As you go off to meet the prospective mates a bunch of boorish human noblemen crash the party. It's not clear, but the situation seems similar to primae noctis, the feudal right of the lords to sleep with brides first. Just as things get rowdy, your female cousin smashes a jug on the snootiest (and highest ranking) nobleman. They retreat, but vow revenge. Sure enough, just as the wedding ceremony is starting up, they reappear with armed guards and take all the females of the wedding party away.
<br>
[...]
<br>
The good news is that either way Duncan, the Gray Warden, will invoke his right to conscript anyone into the order; apparently it's the equivalent of an instant pardon. The bad news is that if you didn't take responsibility all by yourself, then your cousin gets arrested and sent off to the executioner while you head off to battle the evil darkspawn threatening the world.</blockquote>
<br>
To recap: No matter what happens you still end up joining the mandatory faction.
<br>
<br>
If the impressively named "City Elves" have got your thing, check them out at the Dragon Age website <a href="http://dragonage.bioware.com/hero/city_elf">over yonder</a>. Some moron decided Flash was a good idea to build a website out of so once you've waited for it to load, you'll get some crap about a tree and a constipated female elf holding a knife.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</a>

MetalCraze

Arcane
Regardless of your choice, the story begins the same
This is all you need to know about the overhyped origin stories.

the Dragon Age website
Look there is a head sliding down the sword with blood dripping out of it in place of a loading timer - how dark and gritty mature

The 'regardless of your choice' part is about the gender of the City Elf you chose, not whether you were a City Elf or a Country Elf. Your quoting of the article is rather misleading.

The Country Elf background is an entirely different set of circumstances and people. Part of which is you dealing with a band of humans who have accidentally stumbled upon the forest hideaway of the few free elves.

Different origin stories. Not the same.

Though yeah, kind of a bummer about the Grey Warden's being unavoidable.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Hmmm, I'd actually say the range of options is very large. The consequences not so much but at least a few details change. A story driven RPG simply needs some railroading. Criticising that pretty much just means that you dislike story driven RPGs (and I do. They are the lowest form of RPG. The highest being a truly emergent, simulationist world :P).

But wasn't Bioware about building an original setting?
City and county elves...what does that remind me of?
High and sylvan elves: Tolkien.
Sun and wild elves: Forgotten Realms
Altmer and Bosmer: TES
Dragonlance also had it although I can't remember the names.

I still haven't seen anything that I'd call original in DA. They could have simply gone with FR 4th ed. That even has the new scourge (whatever it was called) that could substitute the blight.

MetalCraze

Arcane
They could have simply gone with FR 4th ed.
I don't think WotC would've let them add so much maturity to the setting. Probably that's why they decided to create an original world by copying everything from DnD except the lack of dark and gritty mature stuff.

DriacKin

Arbiter
There are two kinds of elves in Dragon Age:
1. Really hot ones with gigantic boobs that you can fuck.
2. Male elves

Pliskin

Arbiter
DriacKin said:
There are two kinds of elves in Dragon Age:
2. Male elves

I was gonna say "Gay" and "Gay-er", but this will do.

Actually, now that I think about it, it should be fixed:

DriacKin said:
There are two kinds of elves:
2. Male elves

deuxhero

Arcane
I guessed Elfs and "We think Wizards of the Coast owns the concept of Drow, so these guys are completely different, really!". Looks like I was wrong.

Quilty

Magister
There's some pretty decent artwork on their site. Shame it's being wasted on this.

But that head sliding down a blade...jesus.

deranged

Cipher
Shannow said:
But wasn't Bioware about building an original setting?
City and county elves...what does that remind me of?
High and sylvan elves: Tolkien.
Sun and wild elves: Forgotten Realms
Altmer and Bosmer: TES
Dragonlance also had it although I can't remember the names.

Actually it seems like a 'The Witcher' rip-off to me.

City Elves: - Elves being opressed and living in the slums in the city.
Country Elves: -Rebel Elves living in secrecy and trying to wage a desperate war against humans.

But that's not the point. If a want to be a city elf, why doesnt it give me the option to start my life as a rebel, avenging my would-be wife (a la Braveheart) ? I have to fight for the fucking humans I hate. What's my motivation ? For all I know, I would be glad if this ancient evil took over the world. I might go down but so would they.

So far it looks dodgy and unispired.

If the game was ready since March 2009, they could at least implement some additional story arcs. Or they are all busy working for the console import ?

Fuck them I say...

Lemunde

Scholar
Shannow said:
...Dragonlance also had it although I can't remember the names...

Qualinesti and Silvanesti. There's also the barbaric, tree hugging Kagonesti.

Mystary!

Arcane
deranged said:
[But that's not the point. If a want to be a city elf, why doesnt it give me the option to start my life as a rebel, avenging my would-be wife (a la Braveheart) ? I have to fight for the fucking humans I hate.

Actually if you read the article it clearly says do get to "rebel", you'll get to kill a bunch of noble scumbags. It's even optional :shock:
And concerning the gray wardens, they're multicultural, and fight to save the world!!1

bat_boro

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
EPIC MATURE BIOWARE PLOT TWIST REVEALED:
They're actually the Gay Wardens :!:

You spoiled my whole game experience with that spoiler. What am I gonna do? I've waited for the game since 2004, it seems I will have to wait another 5 years for the sequel, as DA experience is already ruined for me
HAPPY NOW!?

Luzur

Good Sir
why must it always be about saving the world with a nationwide organization of benolevent gaia guardians/secret agents/harpers?

why cant i simply be about getting the phat loot and the nice ladies with huge boobs?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom